Vote: Dive Computer "Conservative" Setting?

Do you set your dive computer to more conservative than the standard model?

• Yes, I set my dive computer more conservative because some factors apply to me.

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • No, I use the standard model but add some conservatism by avoiding the limit..

Votes: 34 37.8%
  • No, I use the standard model and usually dive close to it's limit.s.

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • No, I even reduce the conservancy when possible

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Don't know or I don't have a computer.

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterbkk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am interested in understanding the range of practices being applied to using dive computers, in particular the "make it more conservative" setting available in many dive computers.

Please click on one of the vote options and, if you do select, "yes, I set my dive computer to a more conservative setting"' please add a comment stating why you personally chose to do this.

Can I ask to keep this thread focused on just this poll and ask everyone to refrain getting into a discussion about conservative vs liberal computers or flaming anyone for their reasons for selecting whatever they selected.

Regards
Peter

I leave everything the way it is. I try to be a hint more conservative that my computer.

I set my dive computer to a more conservative setting (Suunto D9 and Uwatec Galileo Sol) because I am over 50, dive 4 or 5 times a day on 6 to 7 day dive trips in remote places and I am not as fit as I would like to be. I "compensate" for the conservative setting by diving Nitrox when possible, optimizing my dive profile for long gradual ascent and extending most surface intervals to at least 2 hours.

I set mine to a more conservative level for the same reasons. I am rapidly approaching the age of 60, I dive multiple times during the week, and I don't want to risk getting DCS and having to give up three or more months of diving just because I thought I "could out-time" my computer. By setting my computer to a more conservative setting, I know that I can be locked out for 24 hours if I don't dive according to the setting, and nothing is worth having to be "locked out" for any amount of time. I'd rather dive conservatively and dive for many, many more years to come, than to try to outwit my computer and endanger my life or the future of my diving. Just me. Others can be more liberal and do fine, but I like to have a measure of safety built into my diving due to my age and fitness level.

I have a somewhat different reason for setting my computer to a more conservative setting. I compute my NDLs and decompression obligations by a non-computer means. Setting VPM on +3 conservativism makes it match my own calculations quite closely, so that's where I keep it.

I dive a Cochran and run it with the conservatism factor set at 10% (meaning close to the most liberal setting) and adjust my own dive plans accordingly, depending on how many dives we are doing each day and the depths, gases and other factors. I would rather let the diver know the facts and control the diving as opposed to a machine making those decisions. On aggressive days of multiple dives in excess of 100 ft I find it prudent to clean up the tissues a bit with 100% O2 on the safety stop, even though the computer does not require this. Just my two cents.

I am almost sheepish posting here following the experience levels.... but....I think my reasoning is sound and other new divers may find it useful.

I dive a Smart Com. I have it set to be more conservative because I would rather dive a little less today and be around tomorrow to dive again.

My reasoning is:
- I take medicine to control blood pressure (Have physician approval to dive and it is under control)
- I could be in better shape
- I am still learning to dive. A margin of safety gives me more room to mess up and still be okay. I feel like at 27 dives I am competent, but not experienced. I consider myself an advanced beginner and try to remain acutely aware that I don't know it all, haven't seen it all, and need to mind my P's and Q's to dive safely. Safety starts with a good plan and a sound limit. The underlying philosophy is best summed up with a review of driving. Most drivers can safely follow another vehicle at 1 to 2 car lengths at freeway speeds. However, allowing more room improves the margin of safety and reduces the chances of an accident by allowing more reaction time and a lower risk profile. Likewise, in diving a variety of physical, personal, medical, and situational factors combine to illustrate a risk profile that is unique to each individual on each dive. Understanding a safe limit and then further reducing that limit reduces the contribution of some risk factors in my opinion and thus makes the dive likely to be safer.
- I don't get the luxury of diving daily, so I do trips where I dive for a week at a time followed by a few months of "off-time".

All of this supports taking it easy and setting my computer to be more conservative is a way of having it remind me to take it easy and not push myself.

Specifically:
- I have "level diving" on and set to Level 5.
- I have PPO2 set for a 10% lower threshold then the tables.
- I am diving a gas-integrated computer and have it set to alarm if I am breathing too much gas. This helps alert me if I am over-exerting myself (a DCS factor). Now, a caveat, the gas consumption model appears to be set for a small athlete because it whines at me if I leave it in the default settings. So I have that enabled, but desensitized (as opposed to being turned off which is what many divers do).

There's no option for "Yes, when I need to".

The conservatism settings on a dive computer are useful for adding safety margin when you subject to any of the pre-disposing DCI factors. I generally dive with the setting at the most generous, but crank it down if I am dehydrated, tired or generally feeling less than 100%.

When dive guiding, I've been known to crank it right down if I suspect/know that the customers have been partying.

There's no option for "Yes, when I need to".

The conservatism settings on a dive computer are useful for adding safety margin when you subject to any of the pre-disposing DCI factors. I generally dive with the setting at the most generous, but crank it down if I am dehydrated, tired or generally feeling less than 100%.

When dive guiding, I've been known to crank it right down if I suspect/know that the customers have been partying.

Same here. I add some conservatism when I am doing multiple dives over multiple days especially when on a liveaboard.

Depends on the type of diving I'm doing. Recreational diving, I will dive it a bit more conservatively. I typically stay within NDL's. When technical diving, I will set it a bit more aggressively, so that I am not spending all day in decompression. My Helo2's settings range from +2 (most conservative) to -2 (most aggressive). When technical diving, I will set the conservatism to -1. I just got a Shearwater Predator a few days ago & I am going to have to do some studying on Gradient Factors, to see where I need to set it. Unfortunately when I did my Adv. Nitrox, it was done off of tables & the subject of gradient factors was only very lightly touched on,... so I'm a little lost on that subject. I would like to see if I can get my predator to closely match my Helo2's settings. I plan to use the Predator as the primary & the Helo2 as the back- up computer. I would certainly accept any pointers to some information of Gradient Factors, if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom