Visual reference on anchor line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most anchor lines are of braided construction and many have a red/colored tracer fiber in them too. The line itself give you plenty of visual cues if you are moderately close to it and paying attention. No need to add colored clothes pins etc. If it's a fixed mooring the boat tied into that has even more visual cues from the inevitable marine growth.

I would practice more in controlled situations before accumulating an actual open water deco obligation. There's always the chance you'll not be able to come up the anchor/mooring line. If you're already anxious about open water ascents with an anchor/mooring line reference imagine having that taken away and you'll be really stressed.

Using an SMB tied off to the bottom at a benign site is a good way to practice. The thin #24 line gives you few visual cues, basically just the tiny knot every 10ft. If you can nail practice ascents with a tiny fixed line then graduate to retrieving the SMB as you go. Eventually you'll be at the point where a fat anchor line in your face feels like cheating - that's when you're confident enough to be doing open water deco and its fun (or fun enough) to not be a stress.

I find it hard to use a plain anchor line as a reference so i like to hang my strobe from it at the target depth, and then get back up off the line and stare at the strobe while i zen out for a little while. if the line has some features like a tracer or a bit of fray or something i'm sure that would help too, but a perfectly uniform line just doesn't work for me personally.

I prefer to use a dedicated deco rope marked with a stopper knot in 10 foot increments. I’ll clip it to the anchor rope and when I get back I simply unclip and hang off the stern. It’s just arrogance to think one way is the right way.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpeg
    IMG_0024.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 39
I prefer to use a dedicated deco rope marked with a stopper knot in 10 foot increments. I’ll clip it to the anchor rope and when I get back I simply unclip and hang off the stern. It’s just arrogance to think one way is the right way.
Can you elaborate on this procedure a little more pls?
On the start of dive, you clip this weighted line on the anchor line, go down anchor line to wreck, then ascend back on the anchor line, and at some point you retrieve/reposition this weighted line to the stern of the boat then complete your deco? How/where do you clip it off the stern?

On the start of dive, you clip this weighted line on the anchor line, go down anchor line to wreck, then ascend back on the anchor line, and at some point you retrieve/reposition this weighted line to the stern of the boat then complete your deco? How/where do you clip it off the stern?
we use equipment lines sometimes, which are similar to what mac64 describes. similar procedure- hang a weighted line from the stern (i.e. tie one end of the line to the stern cleat and throw it in the water), has rings to clip gear off at set depths. after completing deco you can clip your stages, scooters, etc. to the line and climb up the ladder with just your rig on and then retrieve everything else afterwards. some strobes on the equipment line will help you find the line when swimming from the bow to the stern in lower visibility.

I have done both anchor and drift dives. I understand the limitations of both. However I have a specific question about drift diving in strong currents in bad vis on a wreck.

It seems extremely dangerous to be drifting into dangerous structures at a high rate of speed when you may be disoriented and smashed into structure or even ropes, lines etc. I had a drift dive once where I was drifting sideways and had big beam just mis my head in deep dark water. I question the wisdom of always drifting into a wreck.

we use equipment lines sometimes, which are similar to what mac64 describes. similar procedure- hang a weighted line from the stern (i.e. tie one end of the line to the stern cleat and throw it in the water), has rings to clip gear off at set depths. after completing deco you can clip your stages, scooters, etc. to the line and climb up the ladder with just your rig on and then retrieve everything else afterwards. some strobes on the equipment line will help you find the line when swimming from the bow to the stern in lower visibility.
I don’t think those are the best strategies, I think they’ll work just fine in many scenarios, but what some of us like to use are strategies that eliminates possible adverse situations, and some have more obvious drawbacks than others. But in any case, I wasn’t actually discussing that, I’m interested in the logistics of the method he mentioned, which isn’t similar to yours, you just have the line hanging off the stern, he said he does that AFTER he comes back up, this bit is what is intriguing me

I don’t think those are the best strategies, I think they’ll work just fine in many scenarios, but what some of us like to use are strategies that eliminates possible adverse situations, and some have more obvious drawbacks than others. But in any case, I wasn’t actually discussing that, I’m interested in the logistics of the method he mentioned, which isn’t similar to yours, you just have the line hanging off the stern, he said he does that AFTER he comes back up, this bit is what is intriguing me

i got the impression he leaves a line coilled up and affixed to the anchor line and then deploys it when he comes up to do his (shallow?) stop. either way i'll let him answer.

i agree none of these techniques are perfect but they work most of the time. deco'ing on an anchor line is what it is

I have done both anchor and drift dives. I understand the limitations of both. However I have a specific question about drift diving in strong currents in bad vis on a wreck.

It seems extremely dangerous to be drifting into dangerous structures at a high rate of speed when you may be disoriented and smashed into structure or even ropes, lines etc. I had a drift dive once where I was drifting sideways and had big beam just mis my head in deep dark water. I question the wisdom of always drifting into a wreck.
I don't think any of the posts on this thread have been about drifting into the dive site. That only works in limited circumstances when the seafloor is fairly flat and visibility is good. If visibility is bad then obviously don't do that as you might run into something, or more likely miss the site completely.

What works better with limited visibility and strong currents is to drop a shot line on the site, then descend along the line using scooters. At the end of the dive move up to the shallowest part of the site to start a drifting ascent so there is no risk of running into any structures.

Tie off the deco rope at the stern and slide the weight down the anchor rope deeper than the first stop, I have mine set at one stop deeper than a planned stop. On the way back simply unclip the weight do your deco from the stern, it’s more stable. The stops can be marked on the rope. If there’s current the boat man can cast off and retrieve the anchor when the divers are finished.

sounds like it's similar to what i described after all :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom