Visiting England In December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to say this - I was pretty darn bored on the Eye. After the initial "ooooh! ahhhh!" wore off, I was ready for the express pod out of there! :) It was, however, a nice way to see the Big Ben, etc. etc. We went at sunset, which was nice.

Well, there & back again. It was a great trip! We got to nearly every thing we wanted to see even if there were a few times we were a bit rushed. To compensate, we went to a couple of places that we had not planned on seeing- Stonehenge & an unexpected detour to stop at Simon de Montfort's memorial plaque at Evesham. We couldn't resist when we saw the exit off the highway. For me, the trip highlight was walking the battlefield at Hastings with Thomas Becket's shrine in Cantebury getting honorable mention. For my daughter, it was Kenilworth (pretty high on my list too). No London Eye for us but NYE was spent in Trafalgar Square- by the time we got down there it was too much of a zoo on the Strand. My birthday was pretty special- Westminster in the morning. Afternoon tea at Herrod's & Wicked! that night. Heck, as I think back on all we saw, I am hard pressed to say what I enjoyed most aside from Hastings. It's a beautiful country that y'all have!

Well, there & back again. It was a great trip! We got to nearly every thing we wanted to see even if there were a few times we were a bit rushed. To compensate, we went to a couple of places that we had not planned on seeing- Stonehenge & an unexpected detour to stop at Simon de Montfort's memorial plaque at Evesham. We couldn't resist when we saw the exit off the highway. For me, the trip highlight was walking the battlefield at Hastings with Thomas Becket's shrine in Cantebury getting honorable mention. For my daughter, it was Kenilworth (pretty high on my list too). No London Eye for us but NYE was spent in Trafalgar Square- by the time we got down there it was too much of a zoo on the Strand. My birthday was pretty special- Westminster in the morning. Afternoon tea at Herrod's & Wicked! that night. Heck, as I think back on all we saw, I am hard pressed to say what I enjoyed most aside from Hastings. It's a beautiful country that y'all have!

Glade you enjoyed the country, but there is a lot more to it than the London area (another trip :D ). Did you see any shows, meet any UK divers ?.

Alas, no divers... :( 2 other shows- Mary Poppins & Les Miserables, both very good but Wicked was definitely my favorite. We did do a bit of traveling around: Bath, Warwick, Kenilworth, Cambridge, Canterbury, & Hastings before winding up in London. Lot's of castles & cathedrals, IOW. I only wish we could have done more. We missed Windsor, Buckingham Palace, Middleham just to name a few. No time to go to Wales either, something I really want to do... next time! :D

Alas, no divers... :( 2 other shows- Mary Poppins & Les Miserables, both very good but Wicked was definitely my favorite. We did do a bit of traveling around: Bath, Warwick, Kenilworth, Cambridge, Canterbury, & Hastings before winding up in London. Lot's of castles & cathedrals, IOW. I only wish we could have done more. We missed Windsor, Buckingham Palace, Middleham just to name a few. No time to go to Wales either, something I really want to do... next time! :D

Consider York. Yorvic Viking ruins, York minster and a few good museums, Not far from York Harewood house a stately mansion.

Bring a waterproof jacket.
Best of luck with your trip.

Hello all!

My daughter & I will be taking a mini tour of England in December/January of this year to celebrate her college graduation. Although I definitely won't be doing any diving, it would be great to meet some fellow ScubaBoarders if I could. We're arriving on the morning of December 28th & heading out into the countryside before winding up in London on NYE. We'll be flying back on the 5th. Here's our route, should any of y'all happen to be along the way:

12/28: Bath
12/29: Warwick, Kennilworth area
12/30: Cambridge
12/31: Hastings, Canterbury- onward to London in the evening

My daughter's actually planned & posted our itinerary on line HERE. Any tips, tricks & insight welcome... :fruit:

Sorry I missed this thread, but glad you had a good trip.

My wife is from the UK and we visit frequently. I hope you made it North to the Lake District.

That area is just majestic, and the B&B's are fabulous.:coffee:

I would have never thought there was any diving in the UK. Well atleast when you figure in the average temps.

Consider York. Yorvic Viking ruins, York minster and a few good museums, Not far from York Harewood house a stately mansion.

Agree with this. I live about an hour from York, and about 20 minutes from Harewood. The scenery around here is fantastic.

I would have never thought there was any diving in the UK. Well atleast when you figure in the average temps.

What a totally blinkered statement. There is some superb diving around the UK coasts. In fact, in places it's better than diving in warmer waters.

Back
Top Bottom