Question RA / Banda Recommendations for December 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkSteward

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Indo Dive Community,

I've decided to do a last minute trip to Raja Ampat next month since I got a free month off work before a new job. The choices for LOBs are slim but I've been exploring the below option based on itinerary, budget and dates:

1. SMV Ondina
2. Neptune One

I have a few questions everyone:
1. Both of the above travel through central RA and Misool, during my research I've learned that these are the better parts for diving vs. the north. Is this right? I enjoy pelagics, schooling fish and soft corals over macro/muck diving.
2. Do you know anything about the 2 LOB's I linked above? Any recommendation between the two based on their itinerary?
3. Does anyone know of any other trips going out in December 2022 with availability or recommendation on LOB's I should look into?

There is also a third option for the MV Oceanic which leaves from Ambon to Sorong and goes through Banda / Misool / Central RA. This could be an option but I heard December is out of season for Banda.

Any other places outside of RA I should be looking at? I am based in San Francisco but will be flying to Hong Kong for the holidays after, which is why I picked RA as it's in Asia. I tried Galapgos/Socorro/Cocos but options for boats and flights are limited. Let me know if you have any insight or suggestions for a great LOB experience in December!

Thank you,

SS

You are right that @Dan is probably going to one of your best sources of info . One thing I would clarify is that while the southern sites are arguably better, the northern sites (Cape Kri, Manta Sandy etc) are still pretty great. I saw more Mantas in the north than I did in the South in September. I guess there could be spots further north that you are referring to , but in general the diving was still more about fish and mantas than macro/muck. The only macro dives I went on while at Sorido Bay (which is at Cape Kri) were the ones I specifically requested.

Bottom line is that I wouldn’t let north/south marine life differences be the key driver of your schedule. However , December is probably going to be very busy I assume so that might be a reason to go further south if there will be fewer boats there. I have only been to the RA once , but passing comments made by dive staff made it sound like their high season is extremely busy .

Have been on the Ondina and it was a comfortable boat. This was several years ago and it was getting older then but if it has been maintained that should not be an issue. The only issue I had was the available 100cf tank was some strange beast that was seriously negative. So much so I would have had to ditch it if my bcd failed. Very strange tank.

If you are going to RA for the first time and you have the option do the itinerary that takes you both north and south. Both are good but if you have time a longer itinerary that does both is best. If I had to choose between north and south I couldn’t. Other factors like the boat, price, guides, dates etc would be far more important. They are different but I would not say one is “better” than the other.

Viz has been really bad in the south (Misool area). We were there in June and it was really bad and when we were there in Oct. it was even worse so that might make you reconsider. Maybe check to see if it has improved at all. It was much nicer in the North.

I have done Ambon to Raja in Nov/ December and we had amazing conditions and saw some great stuff.

Viz has been really bad in the south (Misool area). We were there in June and it was really bad and when we were there in Oct. it was even worse so that might make you reconsider. Maybe check to see if it has improved at all. It was much nicer in the North.

I have done Ambon to Raja in Nov/ December and we had amazing conditions and saw some great stuff.
This is really good intel - how would you recommend checking on the viz? Asking local dive shop/LOB operators?

@drrich2 I read through your entire Coral Triangle Post earlier this year, did you ever make a decision on which option you were going to do and do further research on itineraries or LOB's? I'm specifically deciding between a solely Central (Dampier) R4 or a Central + Misool as my dates do not allow me to do a longer 11D/10N trip which includes both.

Have been on the Ondina and it was a comfortable boat. This was several years ago and it was getting older then but if it has been maintained that should not be an issue. The only issue I had was the available 100cf tank was some strange beast that was seriously negative. So much so I would have had to ditch it if my bcd failed. Very strange tank.

If you are going to RA for the first time and you have the option do the itinerary that takes you both north and south. Both are good but if you have time a longer itinerary that does both is best. If I had to choose between north and south I couldn’t. Other factors like the boat, price, guides, dates etc would be far more important. They are different but I would not say one is “better” than the other.

The Ondina is actually out of the question because that itinerary is empty. But I actually found a third option on a newer Phinsi called Jelajahi Laut, this and the Neptune One both say they spend a few days in the Dampier Strait (Blue Magic, Cape Kri, Melissa's Garden) and the rest of the time around Misool.

The issue with the Jelajahi looks like the only cabin available is a small split cabin with 2 other divers. This may be a bit uncomfortable for 10 days but I'm not picky. I can't find any info on the Neptune One online but the itinerary is similar, with one less day in Misool and on less day in Dampier.

You are right that @Dan is probably going to one of your best sources of info . One thing I would clarify is that while the southern sites are arguably better, the northern sites (Cape Kri, Manta Sandy etc) are still pretty great. I saw more Mantas in the north than I did in the South in September. I guess there could be spots further north that you are referring to , but in general the diving was still more about fish and mantas than macro/muck. The only macro dives I went on while at Sorido Bay (which is at Cape Kri) were the ones I specifically requested.

Bottom line is that I wouldn’t let north/south marine life differences be the key driver of your schedule. However , December is probably going to be very busy I assume so that might be a reason to go further south if there will be fewer boats there. I have only been to the RA once , but passing comments made by dive staff made it sound like their high season is extremely busy .

I found out @Dan is actually on a Banda > R4 LOB right now which would explain his silence. The itineraries I posted above do both "Central" R4 (Blue Magic, Melissa's Garden and Cape Kri are all on there) and then mostly Misool. Would this be enough to cover the main sites for north/south? Or are there more sites further north I should not miss on the longer trips?

The Ondina is actually out of the question because that itinerary is empty. But I actually found a third option on a newer Phinsi called Jelajahi Laut, this and the Neptune One both say they spend a few days in the Dampier Strait (Blue Magic, Cape Kri, Melissa's Garden) and the rest of the time around Misool.

The issue with the Jelajahi looks like the only cabin available is a small split cabin with 2 other divers. This may be a bit uncomfortable for 10 days but I'm not picky. I can't find any info on the Neptune One online but the itinerary is similar, with one less day in Misool and on less day in Dampier.

I found out @Dan is actually on a Banda > R4 LOB right now which would explain his silence. The itineraries I posted above do both "Central" R4 (Blue Magic, Melissa's Garden and Cape Kri are all on there) and then mostly Misool. Would this be enough to cover the main sites for north/south? Or are there more sites further north I should not miss on the longer trips?

I think a 10-11 day misool/north itinerary you described would be sufficient to good exposure to most of the diving. You will not catch “everything “, but no one does since it is a big place. I can’t remember your exact logistics , but you have the time you might try 5 nights at a hotel or homestay ahead of your live aboard. Note that most liveaboards depart from Sorong , which is not where the diving is (if you plan on land based diving you will have from Sorong to wherever you are staying and then likely back to Sorong for liveaboard). I am just mentioning this because Sorong is a pain to get to , so you may as well make the most of it while there.

With regards to visibility questions , at Raja a lot of times lower visibility means more nutrients, which means more fish. This discussion from a could have years ago popped up. In general you probably don’t want Cozumel like super high visibility , that would probably mean you see fewer fish.

[Raja Ampat Visibility mid April]

I think a 10-11 day misool/north itinerary you described would be sufficient to good exposure to most of the diving. You will not catch “everything “, but no one does since it is a big place. I can’t remember your exact logistics , but you have the time you might try 5 nights at a hotel or homestay ahead of your live aboard. Note that most liveaboards depart from Sorong , which is not where the diving is (if you plan on land based diving you will have from Sorong to wherever you are staying and then likely back to Sorong for liveaboard). I am just mentioning this because Sorong is a pain to get to , so you may as well make the most of it while there.

With regards to visibility questions , at Raja a lot of times lower visibility means more nutrients, which means more fish. This discussion from a could have years ago popped up. In general you probably don’t want Cozumel like super high visibility , that would probably mean you see fewer fish.

[Raja Ampat Visibility mid April]
I agree about Raja often having reduced viz (I go at least one time a year every year and sometimes more than once) but that being said, it has been much worse this year. The south had a huge algae bloom this year in June and it hadn't cleared up yet as of Oct. Temps in general have been very warm which is probably not helping much. Lots of jellyfish to enjoy... or not.

For the OP @SharkSteward I think a trip that incorporates the North and the South would be a great itinerary. Boats will probably try to stay where the diving is the best. The North and Central have amazing dive sites and should not be missed. Misool/south can be very crowded so either way you will be happy. The viz really just effects photography/videography so if you aren't either then just enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom