Nautilus Belle Amie Socorro Dec 14-22 2015 review (very long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for this awesome review. I am going in 6 weeks and can't wait. This review got me even more excited. I'm just debating whether or not to let everyone else take video/pictures (and hopefully use their work) or if I want to bring my stuff with me. Curious what equipment you used get your video? Looks like you might have used a filter on some snippets.. What about video lights. Did you or others bring them? Is it even worth it?
You mentioned you dove low 30% nitrox. Was there any science to that mix regarding depths of the dives? And to that point, what kind of depths were you at most of the time?

You mentioned that the divemaster guided you. Was that based on the groups dive history or did they let divers go on there own (assuming they had the proper experience/certs?

ft.lauderdale diver, my recommendation is to bring your own video/photo equipment. My wife took video and used GoPro Hero2 with Polar Pro red filter. We used to have a SRP red filter which I liked better but I found out that it had a long scratch 2 weeks before we left. SRP didn't have any red filter for Hero2 so we had to order Polar Pro filter. She also had 2 Archon lights (1200 lunens each). I didn't feel that the lights made that much of differences except for the night snorkeling with silkies. I use Sony NEX-5N with 10Bar housing, 18-55m lens, and 2 YS-01 strobes. The reason I suggest you to bring you own equipment is that some of incredible pictures come from professional photographers so they won't allow you to use their pictures which is understandable. My pictures were not as good but I was very proud of them. That's the only way I learn, just keep taking pictures :) I took pictures of my skiffmates and gave them at the end of the trip. They also gave me their shots of me and my wife. Bring yours and you'll have some photos/videos for sure.

With low 30s nitrox, max depth is 110ft. You just have to set your computer with the nitrox % they put on your tank. I don't know about your dive computer but mine starts warning when I gets close to max depth. Most of the diving is between 60-90ft. We only went deeper when following dolphin pod and searching for hammerheads. You'll have to keep an eye on your depth gauge since you can go deep pretty fast due to deep bottom.

The divermaster led the dive group but you don't have to follow. You just need to stay within the diving rules: no deeper than 110ft with nitrox and start going up to safety stop with 500psi. You'll have a lot of freedom.

Couldn't agree with your trip report more. Thanks for sharing. This has been one of my most memorable liveboard trips. We went last May. The Belle Amie is top notch and the diving in the Socorros a bit more challenging but so amazing. The manta left me awestruck.

PNT. Thanks so much for the additional feedback. I'll definitely bring my go pro setup in that case. Just to clarify my question about nitrox. Did they have the capability of filling at different mixes? (either by request or based on dive site) I have a shearwater and measure my dives based on PPO level--- as max depth is just a function of PPO and mix. Is most of the diving in 12,000 fsw or are/can you hit sand?

Last edited:
ft.lauderdale diver, I don't know if they can fill different mixes to your request.

There was only one dive that we swam through the sandy bottom between rocks. All of the dives were out in the open with really deep bottom. You'll be out in the blue playing with mantas. Just have to make sure the you can see the rock so you don't get lost and check your gauge so you don't get too deep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom