Trip Report December 24-31, 2017 Palau Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for taking the time to post and share your experience @Dan_T

You welcome. Thanks for the kind words. I’m happy to share such great experience.

I was hoping to be able to snorkel with the stingless Jellyfish, but I heard that the last El Niño wiped them out. There are still some juveniles in the bottom of the lake. It would take sometime for them to recover. The same case with those stingless jellyfish in Raja Ampat in November 2017. We ended up skipping the boat tour to the site.

Dan_T you took some great pictures. But just to let you know there were non Koreans on the Rock Island Aggressor, Americans, Australians, one Japanese and one German.

Dan_T you took some great pictures. But just to let you know there were non Koreans on the Rock Island Aggressor, Americans, Australians, one Japanese and one German.

Noted! Thanks for the correction.

So, you were there then. How’s your itinerary in comparison to the Palau Aggressor II? Do you spend more time in the south like us?

Noted! Thanks for the correction.

So, you were there then. How’s your itinerary in comparison to the Palau Aggressor II? Do you spend more time in the south like us?
I was and we hit pretty much all the same spots but on different days, but we did get to do the ship wreck dive.
Me and my wife spent another 4 days doing an island tour and enjoying the pool at hotel. And then a not so long 5 hour trip back home to Korea.

I was and we hit pretty much all the same spots but on different days, but we did get to do the ship wreck dive.
Me and my wife spent another 4 days doing an island tour and enjoying the pool at hotel. And then a not so long 5 hour trip back home to Korea.

Lucky you.

Although I made all 25 dives during that trip & awarded an Iron Diver medal (together with 9 other divers, LOL) I caught a flu bug at the end of the trip & got really sick during the flight home. During 5 out of 7 hour flight from Guam to Honolulu, I actually passed out & fell on the floor while waiting for my turn to go to the toilet. EMS took me to the emergency hospital in Honolulu. My body temperature was 103F (40C) & severely dehydrated. The nurse put me on IV fluid for hydration & Tamiflu. So I spent 2nd New Year eve celebration in the emergency hospital in Honolulu. After 6-hour rest & emptied a liter of IV fluid, my body function was back to normal & got a medical clearance to continue my journey home. However, by then there was pretty much no hotel room available to stay for the night for < $300. So, of to the airport I went to sleep for 2 hours on a bench before boarding on the next available flight home.

One thing that might be important to remember when considering a liveaboard vs. hotel is the travel time to the dive sites. If you stay in the Koror area...your average time to the sites is about 45 minutes there and back. Be sure to pack a light rain jacket. The boats speed along at a good clip...the rain hitting you is rather uncomfortable. :D The liveaboard option really lessens the travel time to the sites. Don't forget to bring your own reef hook. Sam's Tours supplied them on our visits...Fish N Fins did not. It's a MUST!

One thing that might be important to remember when considering a liveaboard vs. hotel is the travel time to the dive sites. If you stay in the Koror area...your average time to the sites is about 45 minutes there and back. Be sure to pack a light rain jacket. The boats speed along at a good clip...the rain hitting you is rather uncomfortable. :D The liveaboard option really lessens the travel time to the sites. Don't forget to bring your own reef hook. Sam's Tours supplied them on our visits...Fish N Fins did not. It's a MUST!

I brought 2 hooks from home, just in case I lose one :D.

I’ll go with Sam’s Tours next time.

I went with Fish N Fins on Polaris ATV tour, off roading to places unaccessible with car. That was fun.

I’ll go with Sam’s Tours next time.

n.

If you do that bring a few buddies. When I went solo I got shuffled around quite a bit.
There is a smaller boutique shop which I can't recall their name that you might look for. I've heard good reviews of them.
I'd really love to hit Palau in the spring for reef shark mating season. I've read it's off the hook sharky then

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom