Vintage style backpack for double hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a close look at Captain's plate, see that huge knife! You don't mess with the Captain :eyebrow:.

N

Nothing like a wide angle close up to put fear into someone. Also works good for trophy size fish

We discussed the issue of the vintage harness versus a horse collar a while back. I think for a first experiment, I think I'll hang the doubles on my DSS backplate. I have the ProFit harness which has a chest strap but I think I'll just ignore it. I haven't quite bought into the hogarthian thing yet. I'm probably too old to be doing the 'chicken wing' to get the rig off.

I found another source for the horse collar on eBay but it is about 50% more expensive than the one I have on order. OTOH, they actually have 10 in stock.

I have the singles vintage harness and I'll probably use that with the vintage steel 72 I am buying. I'm not entirely sure WHERE I will use it. It might just become a pool toy. Or, I can mount it to my DSS BP and use either a horse collar or a HOG wing.

This summer should be quite interesting.
I started diving with a Scubapro Buoyancy Control Pack (and I'd love to find one in great shape again) which was for all intents and purposes a BP/wing. After wearing it out and moving to a poodle jacket for a few years, BP wings became available again. I now use a hog harness and do not find it a problem to get out of (they do not have to be as tight as one thinks and getting out of one is not as hard as it looks.) But if I get old and grey with limited shoulder or elbow movement, I'll just add a quick release buckle - either a fastex buckle or a weght belt buckle in vintage fashion on one of the straps.

As for a horse collar, send me a PM. I have way more than I need. I have some I wil keep, two black USD horsecollars (one military and one civilian) and a couple black Scubapro horsecollars, but I have an orange Tabata that is in excellent shape other than being a little faded, an orange White Stag that is in excellent shape and a third yellow USD horsecollar that looks great but is in need of a new bladder or at least a repair of a small leak in the bladder.

The sig other is threatening to move in and I want to keep her because she is a cave diver, but I don't think the diving museum decor will work for her so its time to either sell some stuff or put it in storage.

............................The sig other is threatening to move in and I want to keep her because she is a cave diver, but I don't think the diving museum decor will work for her so its time to either sell some stuff or put it in storage.

Now there is a threat I would take seriously. :)

I leave my shoulder straps on Hog rig much looser than the typical cave set up. These guys all have the plate hiked way up their backs and the shoulder straps pulling like a push up bra. Nope, don' work for me, to many shoulder injuries, I leave them loose, I let the plate settle down where it belongs with the waist strap at my waist, imagine that. Getting in and out is really easy but a quick release or snap in the left shoulder strap would be an option. Leaving the straps looser, at least for me does not make the rig lift or wobble because I pull the waist strap snug, works good for me, solid as a rock. The new Snug Pack I got has the shoulder strap snaps, that really is a good idea and works fine and does not preclude the installation of a correct D ring.

N

I am with Nem on the straps. I get annoyed having to assist BP/wing buddies who have their straps too tight as it serves no useful purpose and does not improve the feel or control of the rig.

I also took N's advice and incorporated by Halcyon travel wing with the travel harness I got from Allan. (Sorry Allan) It will save about 3 pounds in plate and STA weight and N is absolutely right that it adds stability that neither harness nor wing have alone.

The Halcyon wing has a couple of rods in the spine designed to stabilize a singe tank on a plate, but they also add some stiffness that makes the whole thing very easy to mount on a tank and the spacing between slots is ideal for Allan's travel harness.

Attachments

• new travel rig.jpg
    new travel rig.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 94
Take a close look at Captain's plate, see that huge knife!
N

Yes, I *did* notice the knife as well :) Wouldn't dream of messing with the Captain.

Henrik

I am with Nem on the straps. I get annoyed having to assist BP/wing buddies who have their straps too tight as it serves no useful purpose and does not improve the feel or control of the rig.

I also took N's advice and incorporated by Halcyon travel wing with the travel harness I got from Allan. (Sorry Allan) It will save about 3 pounds in plate and STA weight and N is absolutely right that it adds stability that neither harness nor wing have alone.

The Halcyon wing has a couple of rods in the spine designed to stabilize a singe tank on a plate, but they also add some stiffness that makes the whole thing very easy to mount on a tank and the spacing between slots is ideal for Allan's travel harness.

I think people thought I was kidding about this but I was not--it works grandeosio!!!!!!!! I think your Halycon works better than my Oxy because your wing has a wider middle webbing, that looks outstanding and yes, guys, it really works.

The first time it occurred to me I was trying to pull the straps through the slots and all that and got it in the pool when it occurred to me to just pull the stupid cambands through the slots dummy----!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTH, sometimes I am slow but I would not mislead ya, it works.

Let me add, I think DAs Halycon wing is about perfect for this rig. My Oxy is a bit narrow which is good but it crowds the webbing on the bottom slot because it is so narrow--but it works. On the other hand, if the wing is one of those older styles with the center pad that is as wide as a football field, my bet is that will not work because it will not be stable and instead of a taco you will got a dawg in a bunn. The narrow type wings with the stiff central webbing will be the e-ticket for the hybrid rig.

Note number 2, you don't need the power inflator, just put an old manual inflate end piece in place of that power rig and we are talking TRAVEL wing, roll it up, put it in a zip lock bag.

N "N" 2 zen

You mean like this?

DSCF0221.jpg

Let me say this again, I have dove the Oxy Mach V 18 with the yellow travel harness and yes, it works. In this case, it is possible that a more conventional wing with a wider center web would crowd the harness strap less---something for you guys to consider--ol' Nemrod is out ahead of the pack, you don't need a plate!

It's good to be ahead of the curve!

The 18# lift is a little small for around here. Something on the order of 30# is more appropriate. Do you suppose your method would work with the Mach V 30?

If I understand what you said, you thread the harness cambands through the wing and leave the harness itself on the diver's side of the wing. This moves the harness straps much close to the centerline of the tank so I wonder if the tank tends to roll around a little more.

Still, not having a plate removes the problem of the reg can hitting the plate.

Pretty clever!

Richard

Yes, yes, no.

N

This thread should be STICKY! There is a wealth of information here. I would sure hate to see it fall off the front page.

Trying these different configurations will take most of the summer and will definitely stimulate the economy somewhere!

Thanks for all the ideas!

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom