Vintage style backpack for double hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenrikBP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm finally getting my courage up to assemble and rebuild my Phoenix RAM - and would like a vintage-like, eclectic back pack to use with it.

I would prefer a pack that will allow me to use a wing. I would prefer to use new style 2" webbing in a HOG style configuration. I would also like to have a tank strap that will allow me to use standard size single tanks.

Any recommendations for brands/types to keep an eye out for?

Thanks

Henrik

Thanks for the link Nemrod. Great information. Tough to keep track of all the boards and threads :)

I had my eyes on the last batch of Freedom plates, but was too slow. Maybe I'll have to try to make something up myself - or try for a handle-less plastic pack.

Henrik

Some guy sent me a plastic backpack that looks like the handle was cut off of. I threaded some soft webbing and used it yesterday with my aquamaster. No wing, no BC. I also have a couple of SP backpacks, and all of these seem very similar. I guess the trick is to get the tank low on your back, but on all three of the ones I have there's not much difference from just putting the tank as low as possible on my steel plate.

I think it might be more important to have the tank as close to your back as possible. In a 100% horizontal position it doesn't matter how high or low on your back the tank is, and if you dive at a slight incline, moving the tank closer to your back will drop the cans lower than moving down lower on your back.

Whatever you find that works well, please post it!

IMO keeping the cans close to the back is the key. I have had great success diving my DH regs with my Zeagle Scout. I keep it snug, drop the tank a little farther than I would with a single hose reg and use crotch straps to keep it from riding up. While I prefer to not use a bladder of any kind, most dive ops require one and this combo has worked well for me and made all the dive ops I have tried happy. I suspect most modern BPs would do as long as you do not use a single tank adapter- STA. That would tend to move the tank farther from your back/lungs. I horse collar is always an option if you want to stay vintage.

Thanks for the input and ideas guys. I'll be an "eclectic" DH diver for awhile. Not quite ready to go real vintage just yet.

I keep thinking, that if I can dig up some PVC for testing and a template, then I should be able to make my own plate from aluminum.

I may still need to find an inexpensive back pack to use in the meantime. I'm wondering if it's possible to thread the SS cam band through the slots in a new style 30 lbs Mach V wing?

Henrik

I'm finally getting my courage up to assemble and rebuild my Phoenix RAM - and would like a vintage-like, eclectic back pack to use with it.

I would prefer a pack that will allow me to use a wing. I would prefer to use new style 2" webbing in a HOG style configuration. I would also like to have a tank strap that will allow me to use standard size single tanks.

Any recommendations for brands/types to keep an eye out for?

Thanks

Henrik
How about one of these.
I have been tinkering with aluminum and made up a few 1/4" thick aluminum backpacks that can accomodate a Mach V wing (sandwiched between the plate and tank) or it can be used old style sans the wing. It takes 2" webbing and has slots for two cambands.
I still need to ocean test one when the ocean calms down, but it should work fine.

Attachments

• P1010084.JPG
    P1010084.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 105
  • P1010087.JPG
    P1010087.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 91
  • P1010089.JPG
    P1010089.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited by a moderator:
Eric

I hope you are also going to consider making some more of the SS Freedom Plates.

I got one of your last run and it is fantastic. Actually, if you use it without the wing, it is a perfect BP for diving with a DH - puts the reg right against your back.

I have been threatened with bodily harm from several folks on this board who want to remove it from my possession. :D:D So please make another run.

PS - if you make the plate you show in the photo, out of aluminum (or SS) - I want one!!!! :)

Eric

I hope you are also going to consider making some more of the SS Freedom Plates.

I have been threatened with bodily harm from several folks on this board who want to remove it from my possession. :D:D So please make another run.

PS - if you make the plate you show in the photo, out of aluminum (or SS) - I want one!!!! :)

Stainless is a PITA to work with to the degree I need to to shape a plate. Lot's of consumables get used up with discs, burrs, sandpaper, welding.
I also need to fnd a new laser cutter. The ones I was using priced themselves way too high.

I have high hopes for 1/4" aluminum. I can do lots of stuff in house, I can use high quality wood bits to round over slots and such, it's cheaper, 1/4" is thick enough to be plenty rigid, it polishes up nice.

All I have right now are a few out of 3/16". They are similar to yours but are a touch wider and the slots are 3/8" wide (so I can get a router bit in there to round them over.) Right now I plan to make 1/4" ones on order and custom shape them to the individual diver.

Another thing I did if you look at the pics was I eliminated the rail. I'm going to try it without it. This will cut down on welding and labor. The tank will sit absolutely flat on your back but this might not be a bad thing. The only issue I could see is that the top of the plate may hit the can if the can has a Pheonix. I think a delrin block could be fit onto the plate to move the tank away from the plate a bit to accomodate the Pheonix. But then the tank will be sitting further away from the body which cuts down on streamlining. I need to get together with someone locally around here that has a Pheonix and see if it'll work the way it is.
Anybody?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric; that's a fantastic looking plate. I'd love to have one and will buy one in a heartbeat. I'll shoot you a PM.

I'm guessing it'll work with the Mach V wings like your SS version?

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom