Vintage style backpack for double hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the pad at the lower cam band sounds like a good idea - if it's even necessary.

The pad could be made to slip over the cam band which would keep the pad in place without having to bolt it to the plate, thus eliminating corrosion issues.

If the fit of the cam band in the pad was tight enough, the pad would also help keep the wing in place, possibly making for easier tank mounting.

If the tank facing side of the pad was curved to fit the tank, it would help further stabilize the tank.

Just throwing ideas out there.

Henrik

I'll get to work on some stuff and posts some pics in a few days

This is the plate I made for use with my Pheonix. I based it on the old USD Cam EZ plastic pack. The circular cutout is helpful when using it with doubles with the outlet below the manifold.

Attachments

• Front (Small).JPG
    Front (Small).JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Back (Small).JPG
    Back (Small).JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 86
  • single tank adapter (Small).JPG
    single tank adapter (Small).JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC01857 (Small).JPG
    DSC01857 (Small).JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 106

Nemrod,

I read your most excellent post but I think I'm stuck! How am I going to dive with the set of double Al 50s I plan to build? I can use the web harness and a horse collar, I suppose. I'm not sure I am a good enough diver to go w/o some kind of flotation although I might try. I hadn't got to the BC part, I was still messing around with the tanks/manifold.

I'm thinking in terms of 40' or so with a highly compressible AquaLung SolaFX wetsuit (one piece, semi-dry).

Given that you don't like any of the doubles setups with DH regs (and YES, I do understand what I just typed), where should I look for a solution to this dilemma? With all the many bits of equipment on the market, this problem should be solvable.

Richard

Nemrod,

I read your most excellent post but I think I'm stuck! How am I going to dive with the set of double Al 50s I plan to build? I can use the web harness and a horse collar, I suppose. I'm not sure I am a good enough diver to go w/o some kind of flotation although I might try. I hadn't got to the BC part, I was still messing around with the tanks/manifold.

I'm thinking in terms of 40' or so with a highly compressible AquaLung SolaFX wetsuit (one piece, semi-dry).

Given that you don't like any of the doubles setups with DH regs (and YES, I do understand what I just typed), where should I look for a solution to this dilemma? With all the many bits of equipment on the market, this problem should be solvable.

Richard

Well you have seen El Luis's solution and the Captain's solution and mine is to use a horsecollar BC. Find yourself a nice Sea Tec, preferably one in nice ninja black or the old yellow and blue is nice too. I know people look down on them today but a horsecollar is a very effective and streamlined BC as long as you weight yourself such that only a small amount of air need be introduced.

DSCF0593.jpg

I dive these Double 50s on a Hammerhead aluminum plate and either my Dacor or Sea Tec ninja horsecollars. Sherwood reversed manifold allows dual regulators.

N

Nemrod,

Thanks! That's the setup I want to emulate. I don't mind using a plate and harness instead of the vintage cotton harness. I just want the thing to work. I already have the manifold, an extra reg, the bands and tank.

SOMEDAY, the Sea Elite horse collar I ordered will come in. Or not... I may need to take a different tack on my choice of supplier.

Richard

Nice plate Captain. Thanks for the pictures.

Henrik

Nemrod,

Thanks! That's the setup I want to emulate. I don't mind using a plate and harness instead of the vintage cotton harness. I just want the thing to work. I already have the manifold, an extra reg, the bands and tank.

SOMEDAY, the Sea Elite horse collar I ordered will come in. Or not... I may need to take a different tack on my choice of supplier.

Richard

I have an older SeaHunt/military harness and double bands for them but I need to get Simmonbeans to make me a new one for my new vintage bands. However, I don't like the cotton harness with a horsecollar. I cannot get the loops tied and mixing equipment from different eras sometimes does not works so well. The Sea Hunt/military harness is pre-BC/horsecollar. So, anyways, you might be able to use a military harness but I had a tech plate and new bands so that is what I use with them. I can drop the 50s out and drop in a set of 72s just as easy. El Luis uses the Zeagle wing with his doubles and that looks like a solution for doubles also.

Please don't misunderstand, I love my vintage military harness sets, they are the absolute bomb, I just like them with no BC for simple diving. When I start getting "techie" and hanging can lights, stages, pony bottles then I want a Hog type harness with correctly located D rings for bearing the loads.

N, "N" to zen

I dive double 72's with my PRAM and a Dive Rite AL plate and harness with a Rec Wing, when I feel like s wing and with a USD or SP horsecollar when I feel like a horse collar. You just need to leave the shoulder straps a bit longer than normal to let it ride a bit lower since the PRAM can;t go any lower than the top of the plate.

I also have a set of Navy bands on another set of 72's that I also like, but as N says, it can be fun getting into the harness with the Horsecollar already on.

We discussed the issue of the vintage harness versus a horse collar a while back. I think for a first experiment, I think I'll hang the doubles on my DSS backplate. I have the ProFit harness which has a chest strap but I think I'll just ignore it. I haven't quite bought into the hogarthian thing yet. I'm probably too old to be doing the 'chicken wing' to get the rig off.

I found another source for the horse collar on eBay but it is about 50% more expensive than the one I have on order. OTOH, they actually have 10 in stock.

I have the singles vintage harness and I'll probably use that with the vintage steel 72 I am buying. I'm not entirely sure WHERE I will use it. It might just become a pool toy. Or, I can mount it to my DSS BP and use either a horse collar or a HOG wing.

This summer should be quite interesting.

Richard

Nice plate Captain. Thanks for the pictures.

Henrik

Take a close look at Captain's plate, see that huge knife! You don't mess with the Captain :eyebrow:.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom