Vintage Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poogweese

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, I have a Aqua-Master DA 2 Stage Regulator and I was wanting to know about some basic items. What is a banjo fitting? Something to do with attaching a pressure gauge? Where does it go on the regulator? Could anyone post a pic of one attached?

Thanks!

Poog:coffee:

Its a fitting for the SPG. It fits between the reg and the tank valve.

Attached are pictures of a banjo fitting and the same fitting attached to my Royal Aquamaster to show how it installs.

Also shown is a comparison of short and long yokes as you will need a long yoke to have enough room to install the banjo fitting.

The other SPG option is to mount the spg on an older valve with a 3/8" hp fitting installed on the valve. This was the approach used in the short yoke, pre banjo era by divers who were not fully satisfied with just using a J-valve.

Attachments

• banjo.JPG
    banjo.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 64
  • banjo installed.JPG
    banjo installed.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 73
  • banjo installed 2.JPG
    banjo installed 2.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 64
  • longshort.JPG
    longshort.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 68
Welcome to vintage equipment diving.

Here is a picture of a banjo (thanks to VintageDoubleHose.com):

Banjo%201.jpg

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/206926-question-nemrod-da-aquamaster.html
There are more pictures and information on that thread. Nemrod posted some nice pictures of a banjo in place between the regulator and the valve.

You should also join the vintage equipment diving community at:
VinyageDoubleHose.com
VintageScubaSupply.com

You could also join NAVED (National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers) at VDH.

Thanks for all the help and pics!:D
I'm really looking forward to trying out the reg after it gets back from the shop, I tried the "new" Aqualung Mistral before I got my DA and man...what a piece of junk! I'll mention the longer yoke to Bryan's Vintage when he starts overhauling my reg.

Happy Diving:)

Poog:coffee:

Just a few years ago it would have been easier to break into Fort Knox than purchase a banjo. Now there are two styles available and even occasionally two sources. All of mine are the Broxton Chuck copy of a USD banjo, one each in stainless and brass. The other source is vdh and they are all stainless but there is a Marvel copy and a USD copy. I prefer the USD style but the thing about the Marvel type is that it will work with the short yoke. Talk to Bryan for specifics on that. The Marvel type prefers original K valves with the thick O rings. The USD type works fine with the modern valves (most of them) and the O rings they use.

USD type from Broxton Chuck on vintage J valve.

DSCF0214.jpg

USD type on modern Faber with Thermo valve (non insert).

DSCF0211.jpg

N

Welcome, Poog!
A word of caution on the thin banjo....Don't be sold on it. There is a flaw in the machining or design (I don't know which, and it doesn't matter) that has been reported to cause air leakage past the o-ring. I don't see how it is possible, but there was one report of the o-ring even blowing out. Anyhow, get a long yoke and regular-thickness banjo, and be safe. I prefer brass to stainless so there is less chance of wrecking the brass faces on my valve or regulator nozzle, but brass banjos are out of production now, I think.

The original USD banjos are still hard to find. Not sure on the price now, but they used to go for about $100 If you could even find one.

I often use a SPG screwed into a tank valve that were made with a HP port. Dacor made plenty of them that are 3/4" O ring sealed valves. The port is capped of with a 3/8" plug. Just unscrew it and screw in your HP hose. The valves can be readily bought on Ebay for about $15 or so. Also very common at the LDS junk/parts bin. They are heavy duty brass valves that are pretty bulletproof. I unscrew the HP hose after changing tanks to keep from damaging my guage during transport.

Duckbill is wrong about the thin BANJOs. I have one and it works fine. They are a little tricky to mount, that is the nature of the beast. As for the brass vs stainless? Brass works fine, but it will obviously be softer and special care needs to be taken not to screw it up.
Fortunately foe everyone banjos of both styles are available for a great price on vintagedoublehose.com. Prior to his stainless ones a person was selling the soft brass ones for 80 bucks? Now u can get one for 45.00 on Vintage Double Hose.

If you need the real and correct info on DIVING vintage scuba gear please come to the vintagedoublehose.com forum. There are a lot of people there that actually dive the stuff and are friendly and helpful and will not give you disinformation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom