Vintage Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duckbill if you would like to send any of your banjo fittings to an independent consultant and have them judged against mine on adherence to originality, adherence to drawings or design quality to specifications please let me know.

Congrats, Poog! Double hose diving is an addiction. I find single hose regulators rather unenjoyable now. You might not really notice the lack of bubbled in your face, but after diving your double hose regulator a few times, try going back to the single hose for a try. I think you'll suddenly be surprised how much you notice the bubbles and noise!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

As per the thin Banjo, it is just as I suspected. The prints were obtained from a single sample, and not directly from Mar-Mac. You might want to get ahold of a couple more of the Mar-Macs for comparison. One piece is hardly a sufficient sample. Maybe there's no way to angle the drill to avoid the blowthrough with such a thin design, but if it can be done it would be a very good idea. I'm surprised your engineers didn't at least question the downside of having HP air directed to the outside edge of an o-ring.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
As per the thin Banjo, it is just as I suspected. .

It must be really difficult for you being right all the time........:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

It must be really difficult for you being right all the time........:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Well, that is mature and productive.
(But heck! Just for fun, I'll bite...."Not as difficult as it seems for some people to be wrong ten percent of the time." :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: )
Don't you feel that customers make the best "independent consultants"? It's a shame you can't take constructive criticism. It's obvious I'm beating a dead horse. I'm not on a crusade; I'm just trying to help. Best of luck.

I'm surprised your engineers didn't at least question the downside of having HP air directed to the outside edge of an o-ring.

And you know this how?

You are making comments and passing judgment about something of which you have very little or no knowledge.

I was minimally involved with this project, but one the facts I am aware of is that Bryan did have three of the Mar-Mac banjos and scans of some of their documentation.

I really didn’t want to get involved in this …but some of your statements are just unreal.

For Pete's sake! (Seems the "gang" is all here)

And you know this how?

I said this...
I'm surprised your engineers didn't at least question the downside of having HP air directed to the outside edge of an o-ring.
...based on this... (underlining mine)
The drawings for the Mar-Mac banjo were done, critiqued and modified by two different Engineers.....
...and a logical assumption that an engineer would have suggested altering the design and drawing had he considered the ramification of manufacturing a critical, life-support part having this flaw. Since the reproductions retained this "design", I concluded that the engineers never considered it. I never said I "knew" it to be so. However, you are partly correct in that I should have stated it as "I'd be surprised if your engineers didn't at least question the downside of having HP air directed to the outside edge of an o-ring." And, in fairness to the engineers, maybe they did suggest a change which Bryan then declined.

I said this...
As per the thin Banjo, it is just as I suspected.The prints were obtained from a single sample, and not directly from Mar-Mac. You might want to get ahold of a couple more of the Mar-Macs for comparison. One piece is hardly a sufficient sample.
...based on this... (underlining and parenthesis mine)
It was done per an original sample drawing and sample part (in English this is known as "singular", as in "one", as opposed to "plural", or "more than one").

Now you are saying... (underlining and parenthesis mine)
I was minimally involved with this project, but one the facts I am aware of is that Bryan did have three of the Mar-Mac banjos and scans of some of their (must I ask permission to assume you mean "Mar-Mac's"?) documentation.
Funny Bryan didn't mention this.

Any more "unreal statements" you'd like to have explained? Start another thread.
-----------------------------------------

You know, I initially said all that needed to be said. All this ridiculous bantering started because the truthfulness of the basis of my warning was challenged. It still boils down to the problem that some have reported to have experienced with their thin banjos. Why is this being ignored here in favor of a personal attack? The sole purpose for my passing the warning, based on these accounts, on to other vintage divers is to possibly avert disaster. Some of you seem to be taking it personally. Is it unreasonable to try to fix a problem in order to reduce the risk of injuring someone? Is money and ego more important than life itself?!
Reasonable product evaluation and modification is in everyone's best interest. If we vintage divers appreciate having these reproduction parts being made available, and wish to continue having the priviledge, then it is wise for buyers to be able to feel free to unapologetically give the seller truthful and honest feedback and thoughtful suggestions without fear of repercussion, and for the seller to be able to willingly accept and heed the feedback when the issue of safety is involved. I don't see this happening.

I don't really want to be drawn into more discussion on this, especially on someone elses thread. If anyone must, start a new thread.

Don’t stop PLEASE! Your inane pursuit of being right is priceless to advertising and promotion of my website and products. Plus you give us a lot of comic relief!

If ANY buyer of a thin banjo is unhappy with it simply return it for refund or exchange.

Bryan,

Everyones got my interest up. If I buy one of the thin banjo's and it does have an extra hole in it due to improper machining, you'll exchange it and cover shipping/handling charges? I've been thinking about it for vacations where I don't take my tank (which has a HP port on the valve; why I've not purchased a banjo yet). My DA has a short yoke. Sence I usually don't go here (s....board.com) please pm me with a reply at VSS (scubadiverbob there). My VDH mailbox is always full with ten messages in it.

Don't worry about what all the engineers say. If it is or isn't machined right; I have a BS degree in Industrial Technology from CSUC and will be able to tell if it is properly machined before using it.

Thanks,

Robert

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom