Vintage Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope. Sorry, Rob- I'm not "wrong".
Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem of "not all of the information" that goes on within our community sometimes. Safety takes priority to blind allegiance and back patting.

I chanced to meet another diver while vacationing who happened to have one of those thin banjos. He commented to me that he didn't feel comfortable with how it would seriously leak air whenever he would would tug on the SPG hose. I took a look at it, and I could see where the air channel hole had been machined at such an angle that the tool had blown through, making a hole in the inside corner where the o-ring sits. The o-ring was ineffective at keeping the air from working around it's edge and out.

That night, I went to email my observation to another vintage diver when I saw I had already received an email from him. Upon opening the email I read that he had a reproduction thin banjo belonging to a friend of his whose o-ring had blown, and upon examination he had found that a hole under the o-ring was the likely cause. We had never discussed the thin banjos before, and here we were SIMULTANEOUSLY discovering the SAME problem INDEPENDENTLY of one another on the SAME DAY! That's proof enough for me (not to mention to him as well) that the "problem" was not an isolated incident, or a fluke of just one being machined wrong. In fact, the reproduction seller later said that these reproductions were true to his Mar-Mac original, right down to the holes on both sides of the o-ring; So, I think it's safe to assume that they are all machined that way. I don't doubt that the reproduction seller's original Mar-Mac banjo has a hole under the o-ring- he said so-, but it doesn't take much to figure out that the edge of the drill had clipped the inside corner of the o-ring groove, and that it was a machining error rather than done on purpose. There is no reason at all to have that second hole there where the o-ring can't seal the pressure off effectively. He should have corrected that mistake when he had his reproductions made.

Anyhow, if yours works fine, then that's great. If I had one of the thin banjos having that hole under the o-ring, I wouldn't dive it, especially after having heard that one had blown an o-ring (though, again, I can't honestly see how that could happen if the regulator was tightened onto the valve). For the sake of safety, I again strongly suggest using a long yoke and a standard banjo until the thin ones can be made correctly.

As Mike Nelson in the Sea Hunt TV series often said, "Skin diving is fun and adventure for young and old, but it can be dangerous; so, know the sport well and don't take any chances."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poog, have you had a chance to dive your Aqua-Master yet?
Diving double hose regulators does require knowing some special techniques. Since you dived the new "Mistral", is it safe to assume you are aware of how to purge and clear your hoses, or how to properly position the tank for optimum breathing? The position of the tank can really affect breathing characteristics.

Well, a lot of stories and no real documentation or facts. (I heard from this one guy wiith the thing that the thin one was whatever) What a shame. Perhaps you can come dive with us at SAND DOG and we will teach you how to use the banjo properly so you do not feel scared of the vintage gear. A lot of really great divers come to SD and are more than willing to help you out and teach you the great art of vintage diving. Don't feel bad if at first you have problems mastering the 2 hose, it will come in time. Bryan can even provide rebuild services for you if you own a 2 hose reg; as a matter of fact he has some really nice and improved repro hoses that you may want to try out. They are a good length and are not too hard like some of the earlier repros were. Of course Stuart's are the best repros so far, but the cost is a little hard to take.
If you need tanks for SD (if u are not driving or don't own any) I can bring a few extra.

It's very early morning and I just came back and restarted the computer to delete about half my post because the details are not important and I didn't feel too good about having given them. But, since you already responded I guess I'd better leave it as-is in order to avoid confusion.

If someone buys one of those thin banjos and has no problems with it then that's great. All I know is what I know. I sure don't have to document anything, though I can post the picture I took of the one I saw. How about that? I also have the picture my friend sent to me showing the same thing, but that's HIS picture. I don't need to name names. There's no "shame" or unreasonable bias on my part at all. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt and give vintage diving a needless bad rap. People can take me at my word, or not. A little common sense can go a long way if you let it.

If one is inclined to buy one of the thin banjos, go for it. Take the o-ring out and see if there is a small hole in the corner of the o-ring recess. Then put the o-ring back in and install the banjo/SPG between the valve and regulator (ask 1969ivan1 for instructions) and see if there is any air leakage while pressurized and moving the SPG hose about. If not, then great. Go dive. If there is a leak, then use your own common sense. If you contemplate sending the banjo back....Don't. (Trust me on that one). But do go and get a long yoke installed, and buy a normal size banjo so there's no need to be "scared". (Both my banjos are Chuck Tenge originals, so I don't know how to be "scared" of a banjo, whatever that means).

Enough said about THIS!
----------------------------------

As to the rest, I'm confused. Were you talking to me, or to "Poog"? If to me, you obviously have a very wrong impression and it's quite amusing.

"Skin diving is fun and adventure for young and old, but it can be dangerous; so, know the sport well and don't take any chances." Words for the WISE.

Well, my mistake then duckbill. I thought you where just making statements of hearsay? I still am opening to you an invitation to come to SAND DOG (Possibly the biggest and best vintage event in the world). You have probably not heard of it, but we do it every year in March/April and vinatge DIVERS come and .......well, dive vintage gear. We may not be experts about 2 hose regs, we dive them. There will be plenty of people that can teach you how to use one and show you really neat techniques. If you do not yet own a 2 hose. I may suggest that you buy one from Bryan at vinatgedoublehose.com. His prices are very fair and he stands behind his work. he even has new old stock as well as repro parts available for many regs.
Let me know if you will need me to bring a tank or 2 for you if you decide to come to SAND DOG in Northern Florida or the Vintage Diving Event at Portage Quarry in Northern Ohio usually held in August.

The part about an o-ring actually blowing is third-hand hearsay on my part, but I have no reason to doubt the account. Not having actually been present when the regulator was attached to the tank I have no way of knowing whether it was done properly or not.

As for air simply leaking, this may explain it in part or in whole (I didn't take note of what type valve the diver I met was using):
Vintage Double Hose :: View topic - Mar-Mac banjo info

I still contend that that hole under the o-ring is not supposed to be there, and that it is at least a culprit, if not THE culprit. The concept of being able to safely use a banjo with the short yoke is great. Hopefully, for everyones sake, the next batch of thin banjos will not have the same problem.

I have seen the drawing--and please--please--leave me out of any hard feelings and all of that. The little hole is apparently per design. Like I said, it shows it that way on the drawing. Now, could it be improved upon, well, maybe, maybe not but given the cost and efforts that go in to this stuff I am willing to accept limited items that are modeled exactly like the original may not perform to modern diver expectations in order to preserve authenticity. Me, my favorite solution is the Phoenix. N

I am waiting for the new Phoenix nozzles to be produced. If you are leery of the banjo, screw a hose into a tank valve with the HP fitting. No problems, mate.

I have seen the drawing--and please--please--leave me out of any hard feelings and all of that. The little hole is apparently per design. Like I said, it shows it that way on the drawing.

Whose drawing? Mar-Macs original drawing from way back when, or a drawing made up from the Mar-Mac banjo used as a pattern for the reproductions?

Whose "design"? Again, was it per Mar-Mac, or by someone taking measurements from what could very well be a faulty Mar-Mac banjo?

Thanks.

My DA is done and on its way home! Hopefully won't take too long:wink: Thanks for all your info, I'll post a few pics and tell ya how it goes!

Happy Halloween:ghost:

Poog:coffee:

The drawings for the Mar-Mac banjo were done, critiqued and modified by two different Engineers that have helped design and re-design several pieces of Vintage Diving Equipment that are used by most every diver in the community. This device may or may not work for everyone. There are limitations to the thin banjo design and I have done my best to make that clear. It was done per an original sample drawing and sample part. As for the reproduction U.S. Divers banjo fittings they were ALL made using MY original banjo as a sample. They are as good as an eyeball can make them from brass. The later ones that were done in stainless steel by me were made from a drawing done by a PE and are by far the best that have ever been produced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom