IP issues with RAM conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freehuey

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm currently trying to convert an Aqua Master to a Royal Aqua Master and I'm having some issues that I'm hoping others might have some insight on.
After being given a RAM nozzle (thanks Herman) I picked up the internals from the scuba museum and cut down a conshelf pin to fit the RAM and installed them in my reg. After setting the IP to 130, everything was working perfectly and the IP remained steady after each breath. After closing the valve on my tank, I watched the IP gauge. For about 30 seconds it would stay at 130, then climb to around 145 and then quickly drop down to zero.
I took the nozzle out and resurfaced the HP seat and checked the pin mushroom height with a feeler gauge and noticed that it was now .028" rather than the .036" it was when i initially cut it down. Working with such small measurements, I assumed it just settled in differently once it was under pressure, so I got another conshelf pin and cut it down a little more carefully so that it was at .040".
After putting everything back together and turning on the air, the IP would sit at 130 for a couple seconds then start steadily climbing until around 150 or 160 when it would then start venting out of the second stage orifice. I have now taken everything apart several times swapping out different balance chambers and HP seats and each time it does the same thing. My best guess at this point is that the volcano orifice inside the nozzle might have gotten scratched at some point when doing all this.
I tried ordering a friction rod to polish it like is mentioned in the old manuals but I've never seen anything like that in any hardware stores and what I bought online ended up being a hard rubber material almost like a sturdy pencil eraser. Will this work to polish the inside of the nozzle or should I be looking for a different tool?

Has anyone else had any similar issues with IP and any ideas what else may be causing
this?

"After closing the valve on my tank, I watched the IP gauge. For about 30 seconds it would stay at 130, then climb to around 145 and then quickly drop down to zero."

From my experience that is not an issue.

I suspect you might be chasing the wrong problem, a leaking balance chamber (scratched, dirt or bad Oring). will allow the IP to creep up as well. Are You sure you have the correct oring in it , the backup ring in the correct place and many BU rings have a specific way they go in so that needs to be correct as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom