Video Lights for DEEP Videography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tphelps

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Im kinda going off of Tony's thread about lights.

My buddy and I are looking for some reasonably priced dive lights that have a depth rating of (minimum) 400 feet.
We want to start documenting our findings for our 300'-400' dives. As we spent most of our money on a rebreather, cylinders, more regs and a scooter, we want something that isn't going to "break the bank."

We are using GoPros in Golem housings as our cameras. Any information you can give on types of lights, ways to mount them to our DPV (CUDA 400) or anything else would be greatly appreciated! Thanks you!!! :D

You will be hard pressed to find lights rated to those depths at low cost. I use TillyTec LED4500 video lights, which are rated to 600 feet, but a decent set up will cost you about $2300 with 2 light heads and the mounts for a DPV.

All the Aditech Mangrove lights except the cheapest one will do 660'. My buddy has their 4320 lumen model, it throws a lot of light. It's about $750. They start around $300ish. He was the most popular guy at the Manta Night Dive a couple years ago. https://www.aditech-usa.com/en/underwater-lighting/cat-239-242-364.html

I think the problem you'll find with filming off the scooter is that even with 4-5000 lumens, you'll still have to get pretty close.
At depths like that there's going to be a lot of light fall-off outside of about 10' or so - even off Kona.

A UK based company 'Orca Light' sale professional diving lighting which is tested down to 400 METERs!!!

As used by the BBC for documentaries (Blue Planet etc)

Did I mention they are 22,000 Lumens!!

Backscatter I think sell them in the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the problem you'll find with filming off the scooter is that even with 4-5000 lumens, you'll still have to get pretty close.
At depths like that there's going to be a lot of light fall-off outside of about 10' or so - even off Kona.

True, I was loaned a UWLD 6000 lumen video flood light in dec on our trip to So Florida. Testing it on the reef I found I had to get within 5' to get any good color during a bright sunny day at 80'. On that same token, scootering wrecks off NC last season with twin Sola 1200 setup on the scooter nose, unless we were inside the wrecks the lights did little if I was farther than 6-8' from the subject being videoed and our depths were anywhere from 120-160'.

My plan for my new Genesis 1200 is to mount 2 UWLD 6k lumen floods on the nose to video with. Not cheap but the light output is dramatically brighter than the Solas. It should make for some great video while scootering NC this season,.

A UK based company 'Orca Light' sale professional diving lighting which is tested down to 400 METERs!!!

There is such a thing as too much light. And if 22000 lumens is correct (which I highly doubt), that would be too much light for most circumstances. Anything much more than 5000 lumen and you're going to have a lot of wash out.

That being said, there's a big difference between lumen and lux and also with how lumen is measured. I'm guessing that the 22000 lumen rating is based on the sum of the number of LED bulbs which is not accurate at all. Not to mention over $3200 USD for a single light head.

I use to get all caught up in the strive to buy a brighter light. Now I have a trade off...burn time. A very bright light does me little good if it does not have at a minimum of a 2 hour burn time on it's hightest setting.

I also agree with Rob about the wash out.

You will be hard pressed to find lights rated to those depths at low cost. I use TillyTec LED4500 video lights, which are rated to 600 feet, but a decent set up will cost you about $2300 with 2 light heads and the mounts for a DPV.

I know right? :(

All the Aditech Mangrove lights except the cheapest one will do 660'. My buddy has their 4320 lumen model, it throws a lot of light. It's about $750. They start around $300ish. He was the most popular guy at the Manta Night Dive a couple years ago. https://www.aditech-usa.com/en/underwater-lighting/cat-239-242-364.html

Wow! Very cool! $300 is exactly the kind of price I'm looking for. Will definitely look into Mangrove lights, thank you!!

22,000 lumens?!?!! thats insane!! I'll keep my eye out for an Orca light sometime in the future, maybe when I get into serious videography. :wink:

True, I was loaned a UWLD 6000 lumen video flood light in dec on our trip to So Florida. Testing it on the reef I found I had to get within 5' to get any good color during a bright sunny day at 80'. On that same token, scootering wrecks off NC last season with twin Sola 1200 setup on the scooter nose, unless we were inside the wrecks the lights did little if I was farther than 6-8' from the subject being videoed and our depths were anywhere from 120-160'.

My plan for my new Genesis 1200 is to mount 2 UWLD 6k lumen floods on the nose to video with. Not cheap but the light output is dramatically brighter than the Solas. It should make for some great video while scootering NC this season,.

Good point. My old video lights were a SOLA 1200 and SOLA 2000. I sold the 1200 lumen to go towards my canister light hehe. I still use my SOLA 2000 from time to time but the magnetic switch gets very sticky at the 180' range. (And they're only rated to 300', I think)

Thank you everyone for the great comments, keep 'em comin'!!! :D

Testing some prototypes as we speak. We hope to achieve a minimum of 1000M . Compact light (8" long 3" diameter), 2000 lumen.

Testing some prototypes as we speak. We hope to achieve a minimum of 1000M . Compact light (8" long 3" diameter), 2000 lumen.

Wow! Any idea what the estimated price will be?

Back
Top Bottom