Compact GoPro Video Light Set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comm

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking for a compact video light set-up for my GoPro that I can tuck into my pocket while cave diving. I currently have a double arm tray with a couple of big blue lights, but there is no easy way to put that in a pocket - I have to clip it off my tail d-ring when not in use. I am on my 3rd trey because they keep breaking. I am not trying to do anything with too high of a production, just want to be able to take a couple minutes of video here and there when going through the cave. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have looked into the Sidekick Duo, but the reviews say there is a lot of back scatter. I have also looked into the Suptig Underwater Light (Amazon Link) - but dont know if that would have the same issue. Plan is to mount it to something with a hand grip like the SoonSun (Amazon Link). Greatly appreciate any thoughts

If you're a fan of BB, why not a VTL?

As a new GoPro owner I have been watching what other divers are using and seeing their results.

On a Maldives LOB several divers had the little lights from Amazon, Suptig and similar. They seemed to be happy with them, especially for big things. With a macro lens for little things, one of our dive team got really nice video with the Suptig. I bought a SeaLife SeaDragon 3000 video light with a small tray and arm last year to go with the TG6 and GoPro hero 11. This is heavy and can be bulky but I love it.

With the TG the photos were awesome. With video up to a few meters the video results were fantastic. Beyond that you need video lights plus arms. There are other options to improve your shots and video, I love dive plus. This is slow but gives really good results.

Just thinking out loud - a minimalist GoPro+Light setup would probably be light with a integrated ball mount (see the "Cheap Chinese Video Light" thread for info. I've had good luck with these (albeit sourced directly from china via Ali) ) and a ball connector mount on the gopro, with the appropriate joint in the middle - that would give you a place to hold (like a dog bone) and allow it to be folded somewhat to stow.

Which VTL is coming to mind?
The big blue VTL series. You could (potentially) use it as your primary light, and keep it on your hand. I've seen folks use them in Mexico, they seem to work pretty well, and it's just a button press to switch between your primary and video.

They have a bunch, here's one: 13500-Lumen Dual-Beam Video & Tech Light | Bigblue Dive Lights

I used an earlier version of this light in the past. It is small and pretty robust.

Mounting any light right against the camera solves your bulkyness problem but will produce a lot of backscatter. You need to figure out how you can separate the camera from the light when in use.

Maybe mount your light to your helmet or mask strap or goodman glove it to one hand and hold your camera in the other. Otherwise you need some kind of arm that folds or collapses for storage to mount your camera and light together.

Maybe on the expensive side, but I've had good success using these components as a GoPro combo on dives that are too rough or tight for my larger mirrorless rig.

Ultralight Pistol Grip
Allows some articulation of both the light and camera. Super sturdy and compact. Can add a looped lanyard easily at the camera or ball end. Works with either end up with most modern cameras.

FIX NEO Premium 3000 DX SWRII FS (Spot/Wide/Red)
Plenty of light for action-cam distances in flood mode. Has a spot mode that's handy as a backup primary light in wrecks or caves. 5+ hours burn time at 25% power on spot mode. Red mode is nice as a focus light on my main rig, for critters that are scared of white light. Hadn't thought of it until now, but red light could be good as a team signal in overheads too. Has a proprietary battery pack, but you can buy spares for multiple dives (unlike Sola with built-in battery).

With the camera and the light folded inward toward the handle, it protects the lenses and makes a nice, compact package for entry/exit. For lots of current or when streamlining is critical, I either stuff the entire thing into a leg pocket or use a bungee to clip off to an opposing d-ring (right shoulder to left hip, etc.).

Just got an Ace Pro to update from a battle scarred and weary Hero 3+, hoping to get it into the water this weekend with this little rig. I'll post a link here if I get anything worth seeing. Good luck with your search,

Lance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom