Verifying dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do not have to be a DM to know that you do not enter a cave with no visibility with no torch while knowingly being underweighted.
Even an advanced cert diver would know this. Nice discounting with I wasn't a dm at the time lol

You thread titles though are great I f*** up and I am ashamed

It matters not as they do not know that as you are a DM now and still have the same mindset. As with your post about the Deepdive in Dubai you wrote you should have not done the dive but did so cause you know some guy you don't know told you "you can handle it".
No need for a wing to actually have a working bladder in a pool were you can't really get into any harm lol.

So you see Dody you still have the same issue doing dives when you are thinking I should not do this. But being macho man is much better. Dare not embarrass oneself being a DM and not calling a dive over equipment malfunction before the dive eh?
Or your thread about CESA when you still have a tank with usable air in it. Why are you thinking you must do a CESA when you have accessible air in your tank? I love your posts Dody they are very informative and fun have discourse in.

Keep these threads coming Dody, don't stop now.
You should watch the documentary: If only. It is a very interesting study about behaviour. And you will see that even very experienced divers, even military divers have made mistakes similar than the cavern thing or the DDD.
But I am sure that you guys are better than them and would crucify them if they were to tell their stories on SB. And speak about that ad nauseam even when we talk about customer service.

You should watch the documentary: If only. It is a very interesting study about behaviour. And you will see that even very experienced divers, even military divers have made mistakes similar than the cavern thing or the DDD. But I am sure that you guys are better than them and would crucify them if they were to tell their stories on SB. And speak about that ad nauseam even when we talk about customer service.

Without pretense, I don't think that my training is bad.

Dody what I see from your posts is someone who has managed to get a DM Certification by rushing one course to another without gaining a lot of diving experience. That is my humble opinion and I believe others on DB also concur. Others have written that you are still a rookie but with a DM certification. For me I do question the real value of the training you got to complete your DM course in a couple of weeks and with you still having a very small number of dives.

I have a few thousand dives since 1986 but only rescue cert and BSAC Deco sports diving. I may do the Solo course and definitely will do the TDI advanced nitrox and deco procedures course this year. I will do it with a young instructor who did my Rescue cert and my sons OW. He now manages one dive center where I like to dive but the previous manager was no deco or technical diving as he was only a PADI instructor but he had stopped teaching many years ago. My TDI instructor and I have have done quite a lot of deep dives together and even I still have things to learn. I never claimed I am better than other divers here. A lot of us have a lot of experience and with that insights to offer.

This thread shows how much work Gareth Lock has with trying to spread Just Culture in scuba.

The way @Dody is being attacked for sharing his learning experiences is a red flag, not for him, but for those of you criticizing him. To me, it demonstrates a level of humility, learning, and willingness to expose himself to judgement.

I'm extremely skeptical that all of you have never made stupid mistakes where you should have known better, but rather you were simply lucky nothing happened. Given the way people like to sling mud at others, it is understandable that most people will try to sweep mistakes under the carpet. ESPECIALLY here on ScubaBoard.

I actually had a conversation with Gareth with regarding his latest posts on the F#cked up club, where I will share my mistakes with my employees, as I wish to have an environment where my employees feel safe to bring up issues and concerns and be open to their own mistakes, as I will be invested in their growth. It is in my interest to have a stable set of employees each season where they grow as professionals as well as helping me grow my business.

The way @Dody is being attacked for sharing his learning experiences is a red flag, not for him, but for those of you criticizing him. To me, it demonstrates a level of humility, learning, and willingness to expose himself to judgement.

Perhaps. However after becoming a DM after something like 70 dives one does wonder about why Dody makes so many posts where he shows that somehow he got a DM cert without being able to pass some of the required training and knowledge to be a DM. He does get quite defensive when being advised by others. It's not all a language thing. The real red flag is how did he get certified to DM with such a lacking the required skillset in the first place. OW to DM in 6 months with 70 dives. hmmmm

I like his posts for the discussions they generate though. I am not trying to be cruel but this has popped into my head about Dody

@BLACKCRUSADER

You do realize the minimum standards for becoming a DM are a joke, right? If someone has become a DM, it means absolutely nothing to me. I'd take someone with a GUE fundies rec pass over any DM anywhere, anytime.

Big smiles. Discounts on my purchases without even asking. Remembering my (very complicated) last name. Being treated like family. Even being allowed into staff only areas like staff men’s room 😊.
You forgot that one special privilege - a free extra hour of lounging at 50m without any deco obligations… 😉
And then I wouldn’t count being able to take a piss with the instructor in the mens room as a privilege 😜

@BLACKCRUSADER You do realize the minimum standards for becoming a DM are a joke, right? If someone has become a DM, it means absolutely nothing to me. I'd take someone with a GUE fundies rec pass over any DM anywhere, anytime.

I've never wanted to do the DM certificate just for the sake of waiving around a DM cert. Dody says he doesn't want to be a DM but did the course anyway in a couple of weeks. For me my belief he did it is more bling value than what he got from the instructors. Now Dody can come and tell me I am wrong. In his CESA thread he asked what is a humans lung capacity. It was covered in my BSAC Sports Diving Novice course. Yes basic training. Yet Dody as a DM did not know.

I can understand why you believe what you wrote. That does not devalue all the other DM's who did courses that were far longer with better training and standards. I do believe that many agencies have a low standard for the divers they progress through their courses as they simply do not have the time. As I was in a BSAC club there was regular classes and courses were taken over weeks not a few days. Most people never had the benefit of being in a club. I had better training from a good instructor from an agency that required a far longer time to complete a basic course than PADI does if you went from OW to Rescue yet covered all the same things.

Even being allowed into staff only areas like staff men’s room
Oh c'mon, pee in your wetsuit like the rest of us

:rofl3:

To be honest, I have not read any of the past 10 pages. In 34 years of diving, in over 20 countries, I have never once been asked to show proof of the diving I have done (I have completed 4,482 dives),.

To be honest, I have not read any of the past 10 pages. In 34 years of diving, in over 20 countries, I have never once been asked to show proof of the diving I have done (I have completed 4,482 dives),.
If you were SSI, you’d be nearly platinum and reap the rewards. :)

Back
Top Bottom