Verifying dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dody

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I use the SSI diving app on my iPhone and I am very happy with it. I have my training material, c cards, diving logs in it. However, two things bother me. You can only verify dives in a SSI shop. They tell you to go back to your LDS. What if you no longer have a LDS because you relocated? Will you go to any SSI shop and are they supposed to let you verify your dives using the shop QR code if they don’t know you? Second thing is the fact that you cannot input c cards from other agencies. Not even like a photograph. I would hate having two diving apps for my cards and I would hate even more having physical cards. As a result, when I travel and go diving, I search first for SSI shops. Same thing when I travel and want to take an additional training course.

As a result, when I travel and go diving, I search first for SSI shops.
I guess their system works as intended.

I’m not sure of what precisely is the purpose of the “verification” (prereq for advanced courses?), but I would generally advice using a non-agency system for dive logs and cards. MacDive, Subsurface, whatnot.

I guess their system works as intended.

I’m not sure of what precisely is the purpose of the “verification” (prereq for advanced courses?), but I would generally advice using a non-agency system for dive logs and cards. MacDive, Subsurface, whatnot.
If the dives are not verified they are not accounted for in the total so as far as SSI is concerned, they do not exist.

I use the SSI diving app on my iPhone and I am very happy with it. I have my training material, c cards, diving logs in it. However, two things bother me. You can only verify dives in a SSI shop. They tell you to go back to your LDS. What if you no longer have a LDS because you relocated? Will you go to any SSI shop and are they supposed to let you verify your dives using the shop QR code if they don’t know you? Second thing is the fact that you cannot input c cards from other agencies. Not even like a photograph. I would hate having two diving apps for my cards and I would hate even more having physical cards. As a result, when I travel and go diving, I search first for SSI shops. Same thing when I travel and want to take an additional training course.
The only cards I use are AMEX and MasterCard. I take a print of the last six months diving and have Subsurface-mobile on my phone and table, but it’s not been looked at by the last 4 operations I’ve dived with. most places haven’t heard of BSAC but once they see me on the checkout dive - all’s we’ll.

There is in fact a way to verify the dives but I find it borderline. You can make a photograph of any SSI shop QR then use it as you wish with a second phone or a computer to verify your dives. It is a bit dishonest.

In my logbook all my dives are signed and stamped with the LDS official seal and with the dive guides signature and registration number with the certifying agency. Even if diving in a group and my actual buddy on the dive is another tourist. Did you not get your logs stamped and signed?

Also I never asked for it specifically but it appears to be norm and the dive guides themselves remind me to get it done at the end of the day.

Edit: Just realised the OP is talking about a completely online system. But I would expect a system of digital signatures where the Dive guide gets a notification in his App on his phone to digitally sign your virtual logbook and make it visible to any 3rd party in the UI. If that isn’t the case then It’s likely just a poor and deficient software design and implementation.

I suggest maintaining a word doc/pdf with all your cert cards and email that in advance (have pics on your phone).

I don't think you need to worry about verifying dives. Who verifies a paper dive log? I don't even carry one. That's what my Shearwater is for.

If I ever deal with a dive center that is staffed by monkeys that hassle me, I'll just go elsewhere.

So far, the main card dive centers have wanted to see is my credit card or cash.

If the dives are not verified they are not accounted for in the total so as far as SSI is concerned, they do not exist.

Except for planned training with SSI, who cares what the heck they think?! As you are seeing, their app is purely a technique to suck you in and keep you sucked in. A dive is a dive regardless of where you log it.

Log the basic number of dives that you need in their app for future training you plan to take but move to a non-agency tool for dive logging. Agency owned tools regardless of the agency are to be avoided like the plague. They are intended to benefit one entity … the agency.

In my logbook all my dives are signed and stamped with the LDS official seal and with the dive guides signature and registration number with the certifying agency. Even if diving in a group and my actual buddy on the dive is another tourist. Did you not get your logs stamped and signed?

Also I never asked for it specifically but it appears to be norm and the dive guides themselves remind me to get it done at the end of the day.
What is the point of all this paperwork?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom