Vents on Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is anyone actually using JetFins for single-tank diving?
Put my "Editor's Choice award winning" 🙄 Tusa Hyflex fins on the shelf after seeing how much more power a jet-style yielded. I use F1s or Eddys depending on the trim demand.

Is anyone actually using JetFins for single-tank diving?

Pretty much from before I bought my Farafins and after they wore out and were no longer available.

s-l500.jpg

Mine was like the lower style, but was the length of the upper fin, as the leg braces were not available until after I purchased mine. They were the first spring strap, and built in to boot. Of course you needed strong legs to kick them, so they didn't catch on, even with the leg braces. Damn I miss those fins.

Pretty much from before I bought my Farafins and after they wore out and were no longer available.

s-l500.jpg

Mine was like the lower style, but was the length of the upper fin, as the leg braces were not available until after I purchased mine. They were the first spring strap, and built in to boot. Of course you needed strong legs to kick them, so they didn't catch on, even with the leg braces. Damn I miss those fins.
Those are great looking fins man!
I like the ribs in the middle, looks like they would grab water and keep the fins lined up good and add some strength.
Why did they stop making those?

Those are great looking fins man!
I like the ribs in the middle, looks like they would grab water and keep the fins lined up good and add some strength.
Why did they stop making those?

Took over 20 years of North Coast diving, Ab and SCUBA, to wear them out. The leg power to use them was significant, jets were nothing after using them, the lower set in the picture were about the size of XL jets. When freediving, I could be vertical on the surface and kick to hold myself out of the water to the waist for a while, until my legs gave out. Power when you needed it, and they saved my sorry ass more than once in the surge.

I suppose I could build another pair out of plywood, or stainless, did I say they were heavy and stiff, but I don't have the strength I had in my 30's.

s-l500.jpg

[HIJACK]
Interesting. I can't see this (and some other) pics when using my usual browser (Firefox running on MacOS). However, I can see it just fine if I use Chrome (on MacOS)!
[/HIJACK]

[HIJACK]
Interesting. I can't see this (and some other) pics when using my usual browser (Firefox running on MacOS). However, I can see it just fine if I use Chrome (on MacOS)!
[/HIJACK]

Hi, and my name ain't jack. :wink:

If it makes a difference this picture is linked to an ebay picture, with a chrome browser, if that helps.

What are RK3’s?
Lot’s of people use Jet Fins for single tank diving…all the time.
My original question was why the vents and how do they work?
I looked at the vents and imagined a downward stroke. What I saw was a lot of water passing through and not doing much.
But hydrodynamics is a whole science so I’ll leave it to the experts to explain.
I think the idea is that the vents are shaped such that water going through the vents is sent back and so helping drive the diver forward. That's the theory anyway. There are lots of fins with holes in the blades closer to the foot, including the common Scubapro Nova. The idea is that its more efficient to push water farther from the foot from a flexed blade, which makes sense as the water driven closer to the foot is partly pushed down (or sideways in frog kick) which does not contribute to propulsion. Water pushed by the flexed blade is more directed back pushing the diver forward.

I think the idea is that the vents are shaped such that water going through the vents is sent back and so helping drive the diver forward. That's the theory anyway. There are lots of fins with holes in the blades closer to the foot, including the common Scubapro Nova. The idea is that its more efficient to push water farther from the foot from a flexed blade, which makes sense as the water driven closer to the foot is partly pushed down (or sideways in frog kick) which does not contribute to propulsion. Water pushed by the flexed blade is more directed back pushing the diver forward.
The idea that water being pushed down by the fin closer to the foot is sound. However, by not making an exaggerated movement with the kick would minimize this. The most acceleration I get using Jets doing a flutter kick is by mostly just using the tips of the fins and not moving my legs that much, more minimally from the hip. The increase in speed comes from flipping the feet/fins faster not harder with a wider stroke. Freediving fins work differently. They look more like a snake or an alligators tail when you view the legs and the fin do their work together. The fins are long and flexible and become an extension of the leg more than shorter scuba fins do.
I’m thinking that the “jet” holes are an outdated technology that was even questionable at the time they were developed. In order for any “jet” effect to happen, if indeed there is any such effect, the fin would have to be kicked really hard and water would have to be somehow accelerated through these vents to provide any thrust. At that point the fin has been overkicked and the work effort has surpassed any benefit that some jet effect would produce. So I’m calling bunk.

I switch between jet fins and RK3 HD’s when diving dry and a single steel cylinder.
Do you find that the RK3 HD aren’t too negative for single cylinder?

I am trying to find a more positive fin for my JJ but that is still a bit stiff.

Back
Top Bottom