Vents on Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Much of it was lost to me but I don’t speak fluent Florida man :)
I'm with you, I found Island23 almost incoherent. A little bragging mixed with a lot of I don't know what.

When I was in the navy, the navy divers I associated with(I wasn't a navy diver) knew and used the frog kick where appropriate. And, they felt the JetFin was great for that purpose. Of course, they were doing submarine hull inspections instead of "competing & for your life." I do think the JetFin was somewhat optimized for flutter kicking by military grade legs.

I just got a pair of Scubapro Go Sport fins to try out from on loan from @lexvil. I can’t wait for the conditions to clear up so I can go fin my ass off once again.
I’m going to put them up against the Jets in an all out flutter kick sprint just to see.
Why not in a pool you say? Because I don’t have one, the Pacific ocean IS my pool. That’s why it’s so hard to try out fins. I can’t just buy new fins and use them out there and expect to return them. Even after one dive they are USED.

I just got a pair of Scubapro Go Sport fins to try out from on loan from @lexvil. I can’t wait for the conditions to clear up so I can go fin my ass off once again.
I’m going to put them up against the Jets in an all out flutter kick sprint just to see.
Why not in a pool you say? Because I don’t have one, the Pacific ocean IS my pool. That’s why it’s so hard to try out fins. I can’t just buy new fins and use them out there and expect to return them. Even after one dive they are USED.
Enjoy, my pool is a lot older than the ocean at the moment.

US Patent US3183529A, also downloadable from US3183529A - Swimmer's foot-fin with thrust-accelerating device - Google Patents
US3183529A-1.jpg

US3183529A-2.jpg

US3183529A-3.jpg

US3183529A-4.jpg

Enjoy, my pool is a lot older than the ocean at the moment.
You must have a VERY old pool. :wink:

Found this image of the Foil OPS, and you can see the open area to vent water. Still super busy, but like to do an in-depth story on vents. After diving Jet Fins for 20 years, the venting concept inspired the Force fin design. Here are several other Force fin designs with venting holes. It was hard to get the water it moving up and down.
l-26.jpg-fw.jpg
sperm_force.jpg
2003-fiji118.jpg-fw.jpg

..... Still super busy, but like to do an in-depth story on vents.
That would be a HUGELY popular topic here. Especially for us open ocean, scissor kickers !!

The holes are there to attach Croc charms. Scubapro was very forward thinking to add those knowing it would become a thing 50 years later.
I don't know what the vents are for.
1679074152366.png

Back
Top Bottom