Vents on Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been traveling and thinking about " Venting to express ones thoughts" Almost 12 years ago I made this video in my Kimball Street office. With over 25,000 views it helps give a quick idea of vents. Yet their is so much more to share as I gather up images and thoughts. Fun subject for me.
ops-060715-021-fw.jpg

Do you find that the RK3 HD aren’t too negative for single cylinder?

I am trying to find a more positive fin for my JJ but that is still a bit stiff.
No because I only dive when with diving dry. I can’t really tell the difference between the RK3 HD’s and scuba pro jet fins. Maybe try the deep 6 eddy “flippers.” They’re stiff but lighter than other fins of the same type.

No because I only dive when with diving dry. I can’t really tell the difference between the RK3 HD’s and scuba pro jet fins. Maybe try the deep 6 eddy “flippers.” They’re stiff but lighter than other fins of the same type.

I would but they cost double the price to ship to the U.K. once you pay import taxes.

I would but they cost double the price to ship to the U.K. once you pay import taxes.
Gotcha..well I don’t know how much help I’ll be. I found the regular RK3’s a bit too buoyant when diving dry and they may not be “stiff” enough when kicking against flow or current, although I didn’t use them long enough to find out, have just heard that from others.

Have a look at these in the UK, they make some good kit.

Thanks both, will check if one of my acquaintances has these fins.

I bet @Bob Evans could explain…
Working on the first split fin Foil Force. Foil Force Fin - Force Fin I had a hard time directing the water flow into the central area. But due to the Patented curved shape I had to really open up the split area. Even then I found the water flow needed a super wide area to be effective. So small vents look good but really do not function like most would think, Learning which way the water flows helped me develop other concepts for development like Aerohance. Homepage | AeroHance Pods
w-35.jpg
foil061811-016-fw.jpg
b-5.jpg

Here is another example of a vent that did allow water flow to move. I was surprised on how much opening space was required. Another design pulled the water into the flow with a osculating
sperm_force.jpg
tail. Side winglets helped control water flow also.
l-26.jpg-fw.jpg

What exactly are the vents supposed to do on Scubapro Jet fins?
I was looking at them and wonder if they are actually counter productive?
It looks to me like on the downward stroke of a standard from the hip flutter kick that water will gush through those vents but what would be the benefit?
It seems like that’s wasted thrust.
I know those Scubapro version fins are from a 1965 design but what sort of science were those fins based on? Or was there any?
Was it a marketing gimmick?
People use them now doing all sorts of frog kicks, helicopter turns, backing up, etc. and love them, but back then nobody was doing that stuff (that I’ve heard about anyway), it was all standard flutter kicking.
I can confirm that they do suck for regular flutter fin kicking, but they do work well for everything else

What exactly are the vents supposed to do on Scubapro Jet fins?
I was looking at them and wonder if they are actually counter productive?
It looks to me like on the downward stroke of a standard from the hip flutter kick that water will gush through those vents but what would be the benefit?
It seems like that’s wasted thrust.
I know those Scubapro version fins are from a 1965 design but what sort of science were those fins based on? Or was there any?
Was it a marketing gimmick?
People use them now doing all sorts of frog kicks, helicopter turns, backing up, etc. and love them, but back then nobody was doing that stuff (that I’ve heard about anyway), it was all standard flutter kicking.
I can confirm that they do suck for regular flutter fin kicking, but they do work well for everything else.
Have not had any experience with scuba pro fins have used the fazers but my personal experience is apex rk3 they have not changed a thing in years for a reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom