Venice Aug 10th - to go or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michaelb51:
ehhggtttt! :wink:

Sorry, it was a white Dodge(ish) minivan, and a USPA sticker.

So, you were here Saturday too, CoolTech?
No.
Based on the reports... My son and I chose to head to Lauderdale By the Sea. We made one dive just south of the pier... found one spiny (measured and bagged).

Our first shore dive in Lauderdale. WOW! I recommend this shore dive to anyone who can get there. It was a better reef than any I have been on in the gulf. Worth the trip over, even if it was for a single tank.

Does the red tide situation seem to be improving?

We've had a couple of quiet days if air quality is any measure. I'll post on observed conditions in the morning. It'd be nice to have a clean water weekend...

michaelb51:
We've had a couple of quiet days if air quality is any measure. I'll post on observed conditions in the morning. It'd be nice to have a clean water weekend...

Michael, thanks for being the "on site" conditions reporter for VB. If things look better, I'm thinking of an early morning dive before work on Friday.

My agents tell me each tide is bringing in some lightly killed puffers and small fish...and that there are divers now in the water. A stiff shore breeze this morning is probably blowing the worst of the evidence to the NW.

So observations continue to support a goodly bloom just offshore very slowly working its way northward, assaulting us mostly when the west winds blow.

IMG_9836.jpg

diversolo:
Michael, thanks for being the "on site" conditions reporter for VB. If things look better, I'm thinking of an early morning dive before work on Friday.

Seriously, thanks for taking the time and trouble to post the pics. For those of us that have to make a significant drive over there, a pictures worth a lot! I'm kind of like a little kid when it comes to sharks teeth, so I love the Venice dive. Any time I get free time and gas money I love to go. The only thing that holds me back is the hit-or-miss issue with vis and strong red tides.

So thanks from me and my daughter to all who help with reporting conditions, and especially those who go out of their way.:D

CBulla:
5 year ban on fertilizers... that'll help us all out. If folks want to fertilize, buy a chicken! :D

Naw, a few thousand tons of algaecide ought to do the trick. Then a bunch of blue dye.

More chemicals are always the answer - before you know it the Gulf will look just like the Caribbean!

Alhambra-Got in the water at 7:40. Water pretty clear. No odor, but some previously killed fish still evident. Vis was about 8 to 10 ft. Starting to see some fish and crabs returning. Bottom was covered by brownish-green slime, seems to be the algae precipitated out of the water and coating the bottom. Saw yellow kayak guy there. Found about 50 or 55 teeth on a 80 minute dive (had to leave for work). Can't say the red tide is gone, but it was a very pleasant day for diving at VB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom