Where to go in Aug just prior to Komodo liveaboard early Sep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given the recommendations above, I decided to switch to a longer liveaboard trip that hits both Komodo and Alor (Blue Manta).

Curious what the forum's thoughts are on spending 5 nights in Bali before heading to Labuan Bajo to board the liveaboard. My current through process is to spend 5 nights in Sanur at the Mahagiri Villas as a convenient "central" location to do daytrips to some or all of Nusa Penida, Padang Bai, Tulamben, and Amde/Gilisang (the operator Neptune Scuba in Sanur seems highly reviewed, unless there are other recommendations)? Was originally thinking of staying in Uluwatu but that seems less convenient to do the diving daytrips (45 minute drive to Sanur).
If you are going to stay in Bali and do day trips, Sanur is a good central hub. If you had to choose between Ulawatu and Sanur, without a doubt I would say Sanur. You will save a lot of time in traveling to and from the dive centers - especially in the afternoon when traffic is bad. You will also probably have to pay extra for further transportation.
To get to Nusa Penida all the dive centers leave from the harbor Sanur, so that's one trip you are already close by. Then of course they also do day trips to Padang Bai and Tulamben.
Most of the dive centers out of Sanur are more or less the same. Blue Season Bali, Bali Scuba, Planet Bali, these 3 I had done some trips or course with, and they were good. Neptune as well, while I have not had experience directly with them, they are also well known.

switch to a longer liveaboard trip that hits both Komodo and Alor (Blue Manta).

You should know that in Alor, planning the dives according to tides is paramount. Due to the tricky currents, within two hours time a divespot can change from ideal to undiveable. I've had many times in my 4 land trips to Alor where we had to change the site because of currents. Add on top that animal encounters occurence like hammerheads are likely to happen 3 or 4 days in a month at specific times.
Hence you need to take time and allow much flexibility, in this respect Alor is much better dived from a local operator who knows all the bits of the place and will schedule the dives accordingly, than with a Liveaboard with fixed itinerary that will spend 2 days in Alor to dive on scheduled spots. Besides that Liveaboard don't know as well the sites as long established dive centers.

Alor is very different than Komodo : while Komodo area is quite extended and densely frequented at some spots which means LIveaboard is best way to go, Alor spots are closer with very few divers but some only accessible at certain tide of the day or on certain period configuration, hence making it better for land diving. If you have time, I would recommand you spend 7-9 days in a resort located on Alor so that you have an overview of the best sites or Pantar rather than having just a meager 2days/6-7 dives at the place, probably not in optimal conditions.

You can join white manta on their Sangalaki trip. Good chance for mantas and whalesharks.

You should know that in Alor, planning the dives according to tides is paramount. Due to the tricky currents, within two hours time a divespot can change from ideal to undiveable. I've had many times in my 4 land trips to Alor where we had to change the site because of currents. Add on top that animal encounters occurence like hammerheads are likely to happen 3 or 4 days in a month at specific times.
Hence you need to take time and allow much flexibility, in this respect Alor is much better dived from a local operator who knows all the bits of the place and will schedule the dives accordingly, than with a Liveaboard with fixed itinerary that will spend 2 days in Alor to dive on scheduled spots. Besides that Liveaboard don't know as well the sites as long established dive centers.

Alor is very different than Komodo : while Komodo area is quite extended and densely frequented at some spots which means LIveaboard is best way to go, Alor spots are closer with very few divers but some only accessible at certain tide of the day or on certain period configuration, hence making it better for land diving. If you have time, I would recommand you spend 7-9 days in a resort located on Alor so that you have an overview of the best sites or Pantar rather than having just a meager 2days/6-7 dives at the place, probably not in optimal conditions.
I would have to agree with Luko. Also having spent a good few months in Alor, local resorts are the best way to visit Alor. Of course there are liveaboards and its great, but the locals definitely know the dive spots the best, and they know the currents which change very fast. Some of the local guides had the guides on the liveaboards call them and ask them to advise them and sometimes even join them on dives if they wanted the best place to jump.
The pelagics tend to have shown up around the new and full moon when the currents are stronger, not to say they dont show up other times, but that was when we saw the most.

If you already booked the liveaboard you will still enjoy it! Just the best way from my experience and from hearing from others is to really get to spend some time in Alor and do a resort.

Another alternative would be to do your Komodo to Alor trip, stay a few days in Alor resort and rejoin the Blue Manta and do the Banda Sea, high chance of schooling Hammerheads during that time in the Banda sites!

I agree with the above posters that local resorts know the sites better. However for me personally as I get older, I prefer returning after every dive and being able to get a quick shower and change into dry clothes and chill in an airconditioned environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom