Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo:
Out of the thousands of pics that I've seen, I think this is the first one I've ever seen where the diver actually gives a thumbs up. I always wondered what would happen if somebody gave the thumbs up to say "all cool" as opposed to using the another gesture. First for everything.
He was posing... for the picture... and wanted to be like Fonzie.

Stephen Ash:
... or that.

"Heeyyyyy"

Adobo:
Out of the thousands of pics that I've seen, I think this is the first one I've ever seen where the diver actually gives a thumbs up. I always wondered what would happen if somebody gave the thumbs up to say "all cool" as opposed to using the another gesture. First for everything.

Somehow his reminds me of a line from the English grammar handbook I was required to buy for my Freshman English class in college too many years ago. It said that if someone were to ask, "Can I go to the bathroom?", only an English teacher would not know what he meant.

A guy gave a thumbs up sign while posing for a picture, and you think everyone would be confused and think he was calling the dive?

boulderjohn:
Somehow his reminds me of a line from the English grammar handbook I was required to buy for my Freshman English class in college too many years ago. It said that if someone were to ask, "Can I go to the bathroom?", only an English teacher would not know what he meant.

A guy gave a thumbs up sign while posing for a picture, and you think everyone would be confused and think he was calling the dive?

Oh, I think I see why Cerich was taking exception.

I wasn't saying that at all. I was just thinking to myself that most divers pose with the okay or the kawabunga symbol. No harm intended.

boulderjohn:

I'm not an English teacher but my answer would be, "Of course you are able to."

oh..you are giving me flashbacks to Mrs. Wheaton at the New London Academy.. So stop, okay?

I bet peter has his game down.

Thalassamania:
I'm not an English teacher but my answer would be, "Of course you are able to."

I guess you think like an English teacher. (When I was an English teacher and trying to teach the difference between can and may, I would say something like, "Beats me. Do you have some sort of medical condition that would prevent you?")

The point of the grammar book was that in real life we don't get all confused --and bent out of shape--when someone makes a small grammatical error that does not interfere with communication.

The analogy with diving is similar. In the picture, the guy was not calling the dive, and no one would think he was, even though he was technically giving that signal.

And some people think World Peace is possible, this whole thread is why I solo dive as much as possible. Who is that guy obviously undergoing a serious event of Rapture of the Deep? Holy cow. N

Back
Top Bottom