Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you all STILL debating this stuff? :rofl3: I went diving today. :mooner: Although it was pretty close to the DIR methodology, the value was in the diving. :D

boulderjohn:
That was precisely the reason for my post.

I see a lot of divers--in this thread and other places--putting down other divers for "minor grammatical errors" and other things. You are a frequent poster on SB, and I know you to be an intelligent and thoughtful person when you post. I don't agree with a number of your posts, but that is fine--we all grow that way. What would I gain by pointing out that you wrote "faux paux" when you meant "faux pas?"? It would be a silly exercise in snobbery, especially since I myself make all kinds of errors like that all the time--especially because of my ham-fingered typing. I would look a lot worse--deservedly--for making a big deal of it than you did for making a tiny spelling error.

I think we can all benefit by learning what is important and what is not important in diving differences. I think some people feel really offended by being attacked for what is the diving equivalent to can and may, and I think some people feel much better for having made the attack.

I am so lost. Who should feel offended? I asked the question to the photographer not the subject. How would I possibly direct any antagonism to the photographer based on what the subject was doing? And besides, I wasn't attacking anyone - or at least I wasn't trying. This thread was supposed to be in the context of "who would benefit the most from DIR". How I could possibly relate any comment about some guy making some random gestures in a photo back to the original topic is beyond my average level of intelligence. If I was gonna nitpick the subject of the first photo, the best I could do was comment about danglies. And even then, I wouldn't be able to explain any benefit beyond "no danglies". (although I don't really know if there are any benefits in that either.)

Edit: Mr. Subject of the first photograph.. I am sorry if I offended you. I meant no harm. I just thought it was funny that you were giving thumbs up. I don't think less of you just because you are posing that way for a picture. I swear to you that I do not feel like a better diver simply because I found humor in your photo. Please send me the name of your favorite (real) charity and I will make a small donation in your name.

My favorite:

DSC_0156-1.jpg

kittens_save.jpg

When you take DIR type of instruction, you are not told that you are better than everyone else.

I know I'm about two pages behind (went diving yesterday, took the PSI tank inspection course today) but I had to chuckle at this one.

If anything, after I took my GUE course, I was convinced I was one of the worst divers on the face of the planet! In fact, if I were ever inclined to begin to get smug or conceited about my diving when compared to anybody else, all I'd have to do is dive with my Fundies instructor again to be roundly humbled. (In fact, all I have to do is go diving with my favorite dive buddy to get roundly humbled, but that's another story.)

I'm sorry if anybody thinks I talk down to them. I don't intend to do that. I will plead guilty to proselytizing, but that's because so many of the issues I had about diving got solved once I found a place where I could get both the education and the training I needed to be more comfortable. And I adore diving (I don't think ANYBODY on this board could dispute that) and I find that the diving I adore most is the diving I do with other people who share my conviction that it's important both to understand what you are doing, and to be good at it. Or at least to try to be good at it :)

beautybelow:
I still make them buy me a coke if they give me the thumbs up signal....even if they can spell.

Two very different situations: are you instructing the diver or accompanying the diver? Do you "make" someone you happen to be diving with buy you a coke for any error they make in protocols?

boulderjohn:
you wrote "faux paux" when you meant "faux pas?"?
You're quite right, and I even googled it and got a bunch of "faux paux" hits ... guess you can't trust the web<G>. But yes ... that's exactly the point, in the case of this fellow the context carried more information than did the wrong signal.

boulderjohn:
Two very different situations: are you instructing the diver or accompanying the diver? Do you "make" someone you happen to be diving with buy you a coke for any error they make in protocols?

First, it was more in jest than anything. I obviously don't "make" anybody, especially a guest, buy me anything. I am a working divemaster and part of the interaction with the divers is helping them with the little things like hey...the thumbs up signal means I want to go to the surface, for whatever reason. So the you owm me a coke thing is a light hearted way to make a point sometimes. I dont get many cokes by the way. I am owed a few though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom