Vacuum problem with Atomic mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got myself a new Atomic subframe mask. See link attached.

Atomic Aquatics Subframe Mask from LeisurePro.com

This is a highly popular mask and I really wanted to own it. When I hold it into my face and do the vacuum test it doesnt hold. Does that mean the mask is useless for me?

Thanks

Yes. If it won't seal in the store, there's pretty much no chance of it sealing underwater.

However, they make two different masks, and I beleive two sizes. You might want to try the masks you haven't tried yet.

In any event, keep looking until you find one that's good for you.

Terry

Sea hound i was like you i really wanted an Atomic mask. I bought each one and they did not fit my face at all. Actually it messed up my Cenotes diving in Mexico. Moral to the story do not buy the brand buy the mask. Find one that fits and get it regardless of the manufacturer.

atomic has the sub-frame as well as the frameless, the frameless comes in two sizes ... if none of them will seal then you will have to go to a different brand ... i wish you the best of luck in finding an atomic that fits though, i have 2 sub-frames and love them

<snip> When I hold it into my face and do the vacuum test it doesnt hold. Does that mean the mask is useless for me?

Thanks

Yep, that pretty much means it's useless for you. There's lots of frameless masks that might work for you, though, like Riffe or Scubapro or Tilos. A mask is one thing I wouldn't buy for the first time over the internet.

All the best, James

I wanted to like the Atomic frameless but it felt a bit small on my face and I couldn't reach my nose well at all. The subframe fits me very nicely. If you need a bit bigger mask than the Atomic frameless, you could try the Tusa Visulator frameless. It's cheaper and nice. That fit me very well, but the nose thing again was a problem, and the last thing I want to think about on a dive in equalizing...I have more important things to do. The scubapro frameless is popular, but also a bit small for me. Fits like the Atomic, I think.

people should learn that you cannot skimp on a mask, you need to either order alot and plan to return a few, or to go to the LDS and pay more, but be sure of fit. Regs, BC's, fins... all can be sized eail, and exposure suits can as well for the most part as well too... but masks, no way.

Back
Top Bottom