Vaccinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbroh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A doctor I saw recently recommended that, since I am traveling to Belize in May, I get vaccinated for Hepatitis A, Hep B, MMR, Tetanus, and Typhoid as well as take anti-malaria pills. I am up to date with everything except Hep A, Typhoid, and obviously the malaria since there isn't a vaccine for that.

I am traveling and staying on Ambergris. We plan to do 2 or so day trips into the mainland-- everything else will be diving or snorkeling.

Are malaria pills necessary? What about Hep A and Typhoid vaccines. How wide spread are these issues in Belize? I'm hoping I can get some first hand accounts and directed to further info to help me make my choice.

Thanks!

1. Mercury Isn't the Only Toxic Item in Vaccines
  2. Aluminum in Vaccines May be More Dangerous than Mercury
  3. Hepatitis C Virus Infects At Least 2.7Million Americans

You can travel to Belize without trashing your immune system with Vaccines. In many cases they are far worse than the disease they are designed to prevent ( and to which many do a pathetic job at preventing, such as flu vaccines which might have a one and 20 chance in giving you any protection....)

Use bug spray...Be sensible about the food and water you eat.

Makes me wonder what your doctor thinks of Belize.

I agree with Dan. Bring some bug repellant. Hopefully, you won't need it.

The doctor I went to didn't really know much about Belize-- not even where it was located. She just looked at what CDC and a couple other sites recommended and went off that. I told her I was going to do some more research myself before doing anything.

The CDC recommendations for Typhoid vac is probably more in line with non-tourist areas of the country, actually the majority of it - but not where you will go.

Hep A is a good idea even for the US as are Hep B, MMR, and Tetanus. I've always taken malaria prophylaxis, but just Chloroquine, which may not be as effective as some of the others - but more than nothing, which is what many do. Doxycycline makes my skin much too sensitive to the sun.

Hep A and B can be transferred through food if it was prepared by someone who doesn't maintain basic hygiene with the cook and kitchen being the primary risk area. If you eat only at quality places and drink bottled water and drinks you should be fine. If you eat on the economy your mileage may vary. As for Tetanus, and Typhoid, tetanus is a vaccination you should always keep up to date and Typhoid is a water born problem, so if you keep to bottled water you should also be OK.

Your major problem in any international travel is what some call travelers tummy, Montezuma revenge, etc. In the Marines it is some times called "Shomating" - which is when you are Sh**ing and vomiting at the same time. Doing this for 2 to 3 days on an expensive vacation is not very economical.

As for anti-vaccination people, I have been enough places, seen enough things, and had older parents who remembered homes with Health Department or Sheriff's quarantine signs to know that any risks of vaccination is extremely minor comparied to the risk of the diseases that are vaccinated for. Unless you want to go back to the bad old days on the 1940's/50's when you could get any of the following:
Small Pox
Chicken Pox
Tetanus
Polio
Whooping cough

I think you may get my point, if not - well your mileage may vary

BTY, if you go to any of the places that Polio is still known, a Polio booster is also in order

You can travel to Belize without trashing your immune system with Vaccines. In many cases they are far worse than the disease they are designed to prevent ( and to which many do a pathetic job at preventing, such as flu vaccines which might have a one and 20 chance in giving you any protection....)
This is bad advice, gleaned from dubious sources, with little or no scientific basis. Ignore it. Consult the CDC's WEBSITE. Perhaps ask your question in the Medical Forum here and ignore the advice of laypeople.

As has been suggested, whether or not you travel "rough" may determine your needs as much as what country you visit.

Where are you going in Belize besides Ambergris?

I went there on military service some time ago... and the necessary vaccines were dependent on location. As I was working near the Guatemalan border, we had the full works, plus malarial prophylaxis, plus anti-rabies shots.

I know that some personnel who only deployed in coastal regions and Belize city were allowed to take a more optional approach, as the risk was less.

Where do you plan to trip to inland? If you're going to San Ignacio etc, to see the ruins, then you'll be in a jungle area. The coastal and central areas are scrub-land... not so bad.

The doctor I went to didn't really know much about Belize-- not even where it was located. She just looked at what CDC and a couple other sites recommended and went off that. I told her I was going to do some more research myself before doing anything.
According to the CDC site, you might need to update your routine vaccinations and get typhoid and hepatitis shots. You might need anti-malarial prophylaxis:

Malaria

Areas with malaria: All areas, especially the districts of Cayo, Stann Creek, and Toledo. None in Belize City and islands frequented by tourists.
Estimated relative risk of malaria for US travelers: Low
Drug resistancec: None
Malaria species: P. vivax 100%.
Recommended chemoprophylaxis: Districts for Cayo, Stann Creek and Toledo: Atovaquone-proguanil, chloroquine, doxycycline, mefloquine, or primaquinee. All other areas with malaria: Mosquito avoidance only.

The website also has a list of "travel clinics" that might be more capable than your doctor. They will, presumably, at least know where Belize is.

I get a chuckle out of the anti-vaccines people - at best, unless I take them seriously. :shakehead: I guess if you live in Florida and enough people around you get the usual vaccinations, then "herd immunity" gives you a lot of protection. I'm old enough to remember kids in my school with polio, and my parents frantic to prevent it. :shocked2:

In many cases they are far worse than the disease they are designed to prevent ( and to which many do a pathetic job at preventing, such as flu vaccines which might have a one and 20 chance in giving you any protection....)
:laughing: One in twenty?!

Back
Top Bottom