Uwatec SmartTec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
I love my SmartTEC, too. It just rocks. And the built-in IR-based connection for downloading is incredible. The FREE software works on Mac, PC, Windows Mobile, and Palm OS. And there is nothing like climbing out of the water, toweling off, grabbing your Treo, and wirelessly beaming your dive info over for full analysis. I can't tell you how many heads that turned on a recent boat dive I was on. :D
QUOTE]

I have a SmartTEC (the dive log software is great) and very interested in you experience with it and the Treo. You load the software on the Treo and store dives on a card? I will be going to the Philippines soon and it would be handy for downloads and resetting the dive computer if necessary. Do you have your Treo unlocked for other sim cards for international use?

Thanks.

Jason

BubbleTrouble:
I just came back from a fantastic day of diving with my SmartTec rising to the occasion fully. On the first dive it was a bit noisy with all the Work of Breathing alarms going off. It was like a pinball machine. By buddy had one too so we both pinging each other like a couple of submarines.
Before the second dive I linked my SmartTec to my O2 XDAMini and modified the settings at the dive site + of course downloaded the dive profile from the first dive. Can I just say that was absolutely fantastic and it raised a few "wow"'s from the other divers I was with.

I can back up Mikes comments... All we could hear was the "pinball parlour twins" beeping and pinging at one another! :D

Jokes aside... From my external observations the Uwatec SmartTec looks to be a good solid performer with an intuitive menu system and certainly gets plus points for the I/R interface and an excellent Dive Log package that is supported on more platforms than just Windoze!

Now if only I can convince the wife that I "need" one too! eyebrow

Where's_Wally:
I can back up Mikes comments... All we could hear was the "pinball parlour twins" beeping and pinging at one another! :D

Jokes aside... From my external observations the Uwatec SmartTec looks to be a good solid performer with an intuitive menu system and certainly gets plus points for the I/R interface and an excellent Dive Log package that is supported on more platforms than just Windoze!

Now if only I can convince the wife that I "need" one too! eyebrow

yeah, that was pretty cool wasn't it. Almost like a symphony underwater ... at least all the fishes came around to check us out ...:D

jbb:
I have a SmartTEC (the dive log software is great) and very interested in you experience with it and the Treo. You load the software on the Treo and store dives on a card? I will be going to the Philippines soon and it would be handy for downloads and resetting the dive computer if necessary. Do you have your Treo unlocked for other sim cards for international use?
You store the info from the dives in main memory... I have not experimented to see if there is a way to move the data onto a card or not. The program uses 180k of memory on my Treo, with 35 records.

Download AqueDiveLog (ADL) directly from the ScubaPro/UWATEC website (it's free). Install it to your Treo or Palm as usual. Then run it, press "Upload" and "Transfer" and it will seek out your SmarTEC via IR, find it (just hold it up about 1-2" away), and beam the logs right into your Treo. The ADL software is not as full featured as the full-blown PC software, but it certainly lets you get the basics info down, and add notes and some extra info. I've had a few issues with crashing (nothing serious), but such is life, and hey, you can't beat free. Once you get home, you can sync your Treo with your computer (hopefully the same one you have the main desktop software on) and it can import the info from the ADL software. (installing ADL will create an XML file that stores all the data from the Treo, which the SmartTrak software knows how to import)

I have not tried to change settings on the SmarTEC with the ADL software... I'm not sure if it can or if that requires the full software. My Treo is locked to Verizon, not that it matters for this, since it it just behaving as any other Palm OS device, including non-phone versions. I just don't use my phone as a phone on the rare occasions that I travel overseas.

Download AqueDiveLog (ADL) directly from the ScubaPro/UWATEC website (it's free). Install it to your Treo or Palm as usual. Then run it, press "Upload" and "Transfer" and it will seek out your SmarTEC via IR, find it (just hold it up about 1-2" away), and beam the logs right into your Treo.

Whoa, I may be sold, as I use Mac OSX and the Treo 650. I've been using the Pro Ultra and am tired of struggling with the MemoMouse on Virtual PC, and anyway I'm definitely pulling a full Dixie Diver package - have the blast cover stuck onto it with duct tape. So it's time to upgrade.

Only thing is, I tried on a SmartCOM and the thing was so huge I could easily wear it around my tricep. If this thing is the same size, I guess I could use it for a necklace, or strap it around my thigh or something :wink: Does it come in a model with a hose? If not, how's the SmartPro, for those of us who aren't in need of mixed gas?

likelite:
Whoa, I may be sold, as I use Mac OSX and the Treo 650. I've been using the Pro Ultra and am tired of struggling with the MemoMouse on Virtual PC, and anyway I'm definitely pulling a full Dixie Diver package - have the blast cover stuck onto it with duct tape. So it's time to upgrade.

Only thing is, I tried on a SmartCOM and the thing was so huge I could easily wear it around my tricep. If this thing is the same size, I guess I could use it for a necklace, or strap it around my thigh or something :wink: Does it come in a model with a hose? If not, how's the SmartPro, for those of us who aren't in need of mixed gas?
I think you mean you tried on a SmartTEC? The SmartCOM is a console unit with a hose. The SmartTEC is wireless only. http://us.uwatec.com/products/smart.asp Both use IR to wirelessly transmit to the same software, so that won't make a difference whichever you choose.

Speaking of software, there is OSX software as well, the JTrack software. http://us.uwatec.com/software/software_jtrak.asp Different from the SmarTrak software for the PC. I'm currently running the PC software, only because my only Mac is a laptop and I wanted to install the main software somewhere non-portable, especially since I essentially had a travel version already on my Treo. So I haven't used the OSX software, but I'm sure it's fine.

I was just about ready to go with the SmartCOM, because (a) I have always liked consoles, and never dove without, and (b) it was cheaper. Apparently there have been reliability issues with them, however, especially with the hose connection to the console, and my LDS has had to return nearly every one they sold. That was enough to get me to move up to the wireless model.

What is the difference between the Smart Tec and the Aladin Air Z Nitrox? I am sold on the functionality and ability to synch between the pda. However, aladin is significantly cheaper. Is there a big difference?

Anyone know what's a good screen protector to use?
I lost my plastic cover on one of the very currenty dives..

:)

Anyone know what's a good screen protector to use?
I lost my plastic cover on one of the very currenty dives..

:)

You should be able to buy a replacement from any authorized Uwatec dealer.

I've made over 85 dives in the past year on my SmartTec. I also use two transimitters, one on the main and the other on a pony, switching between the two is no problem. The only issue I have today is I want the Galileo Sol instead, as UWatec has diffently made some interface improvements including dive profile graphing.

Back
Top Bottom