New diver, looking at Suunto D5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StenieJ

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I passed my OW cert in Monterey yesterday, now it looks like my credit card is going to be punished. I'm torn on what wrist dive computer to get. I understand the buy once, cry once view, but I might be crying more than I need.

I know I want AI. I have no plans on ever doing anything other than rec diving. I don't want to go crazy deep, push my limits, etc. I want to explore beautiful sites under the surface, probably taking a nitrox class in the near future. I've been looking at the D5, which is already over my original top budget of $1,000 (Ha! I had no idea how expensive of a hobby I was getting myself into when I saw that Discover Scuba booth by the hotel pool). The only reason I haven't bought it yet is because I keep seeing things about 48 hour lock outs if you do something wrong. I honestly don't think it would be an issue for me because at the moment I am still a tiny bit apprehensive about diving. But then I've seen a couple things where people were locked out in a pool, or diving at 6 meters and there should be no reason for it to lock. I would be super upset if that happened while on a trip. I like the size of the watch, my close up vision is not awesome, so the big numbers on the screen work for me, I like the looks of the app / downloaded logs.

I started off with first looking at the Aqualung i470TC, but I like the color screen of the D5 better. The other wrist watch I see everywhere is the Teric, which looks like a superior computer. But I can't justify the price as a newbie. Maybe if I get 100 dives under my belt I will be ok with crying again?

I’d stay away from suunto though.
I see this a lot, but I don't really understand why. I am trying to educate myself on the differences (and not just go with what the salesman tells me to buy at the dive shop), what is the reason to stay away, and what should one look for in a dive computer.

It looks like the D5 and transmitter saves you about $420 over a Teric and transmitter. The Fused RGBM 2 decompression algorithm can be made quite liberal, avoiding the criticism of being overly conservative aimed at some Suunto algorithms. You get locked out if you miss a mandatory decompression stop, there is no reason that should happen to you.

The Teric runs Buhlmann with gradient factors, widely used by serious divers, infinitely flexible. Offers a number of extra functions, such as SurfGF, a safety enhancement.

I dive a Teric, I could make a D5 work. Shearwater has great US service, I don't know about Suunto

Best of luck in your computer purchase

I see this a lot, but I don't really understand why. I am trying to educate myself on the differences (and not just go with what the salesman tells me to buy at the dive shop), what is the reason to stay away, and what should one look for in a dive computer.
Suunto uses an algorithm that has one big design flaw (IMO): it locks out mid-dive if you ignore warnings for too long. Most computers will punish you AFTER the dive (by locking 24 or 48 hours or so), but mid-dive? That's throwing the towel like a difficult teenager. The one thing a dive computer should do is get you to the surface safely. Locking out does the opposite, IMO.

I would suggest the Oceanic Geo Air or OCi. Both are AI, run a dual algorithm, and are rather inexpensive compared to other AI computers. I've been using an OCi for over 2 years and love it. It uses the same transmitter as Shearwater and a few other computers. Suunto is proprietary. And it's a Suunto.

I'll throw in Ratio iDive Color Easy (upgradable to full tech if you feel the itch later on).

This ^^^^^^ is a FAR SUPERIOR option and is most cost effective with much better features and MUCH longer battery charge.

Ratio iDive Color

This is another excellent choice MUCH better than the D5 and has all you need and some more:

Oceanic Geo Air

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom