Teric for Tech/CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dukediver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, would love some thoughts from tech divers and any CCR divers on the Teric vs the Perdix AI.
For context, I have been diving with my Teric for years and love it, but am going to pick up a second computer to have as a backup for my tech course. I plan to do my CCR course shortly after AN/DP. I got to play with a perdix for a bit (haven’t used one on a dive, but just flipped through the menus/settings) and I found the buttons/menus on the Teric to be much easier to use (although maybe it’s just because I’m used to the Teric). I also like the bright screen and have never had any battery issues.

With that said, just about every tech diver in my area I’ve spoken to swears by the Perdix. Should I get a second Teric? Or is the Perdix a far superior computer for tech?

Thanks in advance!

It is a personal preference thing since the Perdix and Teric are basically the same computer just with different screens and buttons. I have 3 different units and all have Petrel's so for me having a Perdix as a back up is the best. When the Teric first came out I got one right when there were released thinking it was the greatest thing since sliced bread but after a couple dives reverted back to my Perdix. Kept the Teric for about a year or son and then eventual sold it with only about 20 dives on it because I simply just did not use it. I tried really really hard to like it since I'm such a die hard Shearwater fan but I just could not. But I might have a biased opinion since I have been diving Petrels for years

If you pick up a unit with a Petrel you will see it is very nice when you backup computer has the same display, same buttons, same menus, etc. Not saying there is anything wrong with the Teric but just personally from years of experience with the Petrel already burnt into my brain having a Perdix as a backup was much nicer for me.

I had a Teric and Perdix for my initial tech training. Similar to @marsh9077 I didn't like the differing layouts, but I standardized on 2 Terics. (They were easier for me to read being brighter and had easier button operation.)

Looking forward to CCR, the controller I get will certainly be a Petrel or Nerd, but I believe I can deal with the backup being a Teric (likely prioritizing different info anyway).

I had a Teric and Perdix for my initial tech training. Similar to @marsh9077 I didn't like the differing layouts, but I standardized on 2 Terics. (They were easier for me to read being brighter and had easier button operation.)

Looking forward to CCR, the controller I get will certainly be a Petrel or Nerd, but I believe I can deal with the backup being a Teric (likely prioritizing different info anyway).
With controller and Nerd you don't need a backup. If no Nerd, Teric is fine as backup.

I dive a KISS CCR and use a wired Petrel3 as a primary computer. I used the Teric as my backup. I like it fine but the feature i use it for the most is the digital compass. On some recent tropical OC trips i use the Teric as my primary computer and it was great.

That said, I might be happier with a Perdix as my second computer. Swappable battery, bigger screen, same features.

Thanks for all the replies! I would probably go with a Nerd controller when I get to CCR, so I’m going to go with another Teric. Thanks and please don’t hesitate to let me know if anyone you know wants to part with their Teric

Back
Top Bottom