Uwatec SmartTec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well folks I decided to splash out on the SmartTEC, and am holding it in my sweet little hand. Let me just say that it is FANSTASTIC. The LDS had both the Vytec and the SmartTEC on display and I got to play with both of them for a while before selecting the SmartTEC. I would even wager that the SmartTEC is smaller and more readable than the Vytec. The Vytec seemed to be very chunky in my hand, while the SmartTEC very slick. Add on top of that, that the SmartTEC can be set to be as conservative as the Vytec and requires no wires to download to PC and it was the winner.
The LDS had a massive deal on the Uwatec going, discount of $500 which made the SmartTEC the SAME price as the Vytec - it was just meant to be.
Now I can't wait to go diving - here sits one excited bunny .... ;-)))

Folks. I thought I'd give everyone my findings from the purchasing and fact finding process for my recent dive computer purchase. I want to state upfront that up until now I was a SUUNTO man - I used to dive with a stinger and it did everything I wanted it to do. I do not want to start a flame war, and the points below are simply my own findings and a result of 2 months worth of investigating diving computers. I DO NOT work for any dive comp manufacturer. BUT I do work in the IT industry, and have a good understanding of the technologies involved in making these computers as well as general trends in the industry.

I had considered and read manuals of the following before settling on 2 options, Vytec vs SmartTEC.
- Uwatec SmartTEC
- SUUNTO Vytec
- Delta P VR3-C1

I had considered, by feature description/comparison, the following:
- Aeris Atmos
- Cochran EMC-16
- DiveRite Nitek Duo

What was important to me:
- Gas switching (preferably 3 mixes) - I know some of the comps above can't do it
- Modern, streamlined and well designed
- Good value for money - I had a budget of AUD2000
- Ability to do gauge mode
- Ability to be adjustable in terms of levels of conservatism
- Reliable with as little service/factory involvement as possible
- capability to take me to technical diving in a little while (open circuit only required)

After a long period of tossing and turning between the above options I narrowed things down to 2 computers, the Vytec and the SmartTEC. So, at the weekend I had both in my hands side by side before purchasing. By no means is my comparison or selection complete - it just suits me so beware. Some of my thoughts are listed below:
- The Vytec was as big if not bigger than the SmartTEC. If you thought it would be smaller, think again. It is massive and quite thick. So much so that it sits higher on your arm than the SmartTEC.
- The SmartTEC can be set to be as conservative as the Vytec if you want. SmartTEC has 6 levels of micro-bubble suppression which effectively activates a "level stop" feature which during ascent gives you deco stop obligations at various depths so you can continuosly off-gas.
- SmartTEC has an infrared download to PC so no extra cables to carry/buy etc. I had an old IR dongle laying around the house. Plugged it in and was in business in 3 minutes flat. Very easy. Add on top of it that you have to buy a cable on top of buying the Vytec and you start to see the direction of my thinking.
- I used to have a Stinger so am very familiar with the SUUNTO dive manager software. SmartTRAK from Uwatec kills it dead with features and easiness of use. SmartTRAK also comes in a Pocket PC flavour - so I don't have to drag a laptop everywhere anymore. I just take my XDA o2 mini with me and download via infrared there and then at the dive site.
- Overall Vytec can be linked to only one transmitter, while the SmartTEC can do 3. Not that I would do it, but it has that feature.
- SmartTEC has free battery replacement for life in AUS. With the Vytec I would have to buy then (say 30-50 dollars each time) and get the fitted.
- The Vytec strap was flimsy and was more akin to a watch strap which for a dive computer can be a bit dangerous given that divers are always sluming it around the country side. The SmartTEC strap is a serious piece of rubber with mulded keyholes etc. It is also nearly 1.5 times as long as the Vytec so you can wear it over anything including a drysuit with a tracksuit underneath.
- SmartTEC can do 22-100% gas mixes, Vytec 22-99. With 100% O2 SmartTEC is more accurate at final decompression, as it knows to give the diver full benefits of breathing pure O2.
- I found the buttons on the Vytec hard to press with my bare fingers, while the buttons on the SmartTEC were intuitive and with just the right resistance to feel that you've pressed the button without having to squize the comp really hard.
- Battery life on the SmartTEC is longer so less frequency with getting it back to service of changing it yourself.
- I didn't particularly feel overjoyed at the wet contacts of the SmartTEC but I got used to them.
- I find the menu structure of the SmartTEC easier to navigate.
- I find the screen layout of the SmartTEC easier to read and find all relevant info on as there is more while space between various readouts.
- I found the SmartTEC display to be a bit sharper to read. It felt more crystal clear, where the Vytec had bigger digits but they seems a little on the blurry side.
- The function to change gas mixes is by far easier and faster to perform on the SmartTEC. It's basically a one button operation and takes 2 seconds. On the Vytec you have to hit the control key, then the up/down keys, then the control key again to select gas mixes.
- Because of an Uwatec sponsored sale at my LDS both the Vytec and the SmartTEC were exactly the same price.
- Uwatec service centre is 5 minutes by car from where I live. SUUNTO service is 2-3 hours drive in another city.

So you see, while I was a SUUNTO man from the start, it pays to do your homework and never to close your mind other options.

I hope my lessons learnt help other divers out there.

cheers
Mike

i went to the dive shop today.

this thing is huge?

I have been diving the Smart Tec for over a year now, and am still happy with it.
On gas switch dives it works fine, the buttons are easy to use and it even beeps when you hit a switch depth (which my VR3 does not).
On deeper dives I use it as a gauge, worked fine up to 400ft.
Two things I don't understand:
- why would someone want to use the buttons on a pro ultra under water??? makes no sense.
- why did you not see the biggest difference between the Suunto and the Uwatec: the Suunto in only capable of calculating the effect of a gas switch after it has taken place, so you never know during the deep part of the dive what your deco is going to be. in my opinion this makes it worthless for gas switch dives.:huh:

maarten

jake_w:
Can the smart-tec handle trimix blends or is it purely for Nitrox diving?
Nitrox only, which is why I use it in gauge mode on deep dives.
Uwatec told me it would take a minimum of five years for them to put a trimix computer on the market...

maarten

I love my SmartTEC, too. It just rocks. And the built-in IR-based connection for downloading is incredible. The FREE software works on Mac, PC, Windows Mobile, and Palm OS. And there is nothing like climbing out of the water, toweling off, grabbing your Treo, and wirelessly beaming your dive info over for full analysis. I can't tell you how many heads that turned on a recent boat dive I was on. :D

I'm not doing deco and multi-gas dives yet, but I know I will be before too long, and that's yet another reason why I wanted the SmartTEC. That, and guage mode.

mart1:
- why did you not see the biggest difference between the Suunto and the Uwatec: the Suunto in only capable of calculating the effect of a gas switch after it has taken place, so you never know during the deep part of the dive what your deco is going to be. in my opinion this makes it worthless for gas switch dives.:huh:

maarten

I thought this was exactly the same on the SmartTec. Unless you confirm a gas switch, with a long button press, it continues calculating deco based on the gas mixture you have currently active. It won't do anything about any other preset mixtures.

To add to my previous comments. I just came back from a fantastic day of diving with my SmartTec rising to the occasion fully. On the first dive it was a bit noisy with all the Work of Breathing alarms going off. It was like a pinball machine. By buddy had one too so we both pinging each other like a couple of submarines.
Before the second dive I linked my SmartTec to my O2 XDAMini and modified the settings at the dive site + of course downloaded the dive profile from the first dive. Can I just say that was absolutely fantastic and it raised a few "wow"'s from the other divers I was with.
On the second dive, not a single alarm. it was a peaceful bliss. The SmartTec was rock solid, showed all the right info at the right time and in a logical to read manner. Nothing simpler.
I love the safety stop timer, down to seconds. Just hit a button when you get to the right depth and it starts counting.

ocrmaster:
i went to the dive shop today.

this thing is huge?

I found the Vytec about as big but nearly twice as thick. It felt like a brick in my hands. the SmartTec feels modern and streamlined in comparison.

I thought I had chimed in yesterday, it must have been one of the numberous times my PC locked up.......

I have a SmartTec, have dove it over a year now, from Canada to Florida wihtout a problem. My only grouse would be that the band is the right length over a dry suit or 7mm wet suit, but over a bare arm (Florida) there is a couple of inches of extra strap. Picky, Ain't I? I dive 99% of my time "up north" so it's no real problem. If you don't want to, or can't get the extra transmitters right away, the computer will still calculate stops, just without the tank pressures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom