Uwatec air-integrated SPG/dive computer identification & battery change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aralox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there,

I bought a secondhand regulator with a hosed air-integrated Uwatech dive computer, and would like to change its dead battery if possible, or at least get a hold of a user or service manual for it.

Does anybody know what model this is, or how to change the battery?

I've attached a couple of pictures to this post, but all the pictures are in this imgur album: Uwatech SPG
zxRYVWAl.jpg

8QlZufu.jpg

Thank you :)

It's not a computer per se but an old Uwatec Digital Depth Gauge. It pretty much tracks the four items seen on the front but does no calculations during a dive that I'm aware of. :: WAHOO DIVING CENTER :: - Uwatec Digital Depth Gauge.

Also I believe it's really old...

The hose is connected to the SPG also shown in your photo since it's the closest to the connection.

It's not an AI hosed computer - the Uwatec module is just snapped in.

It's probably a standard sized gauge if you want to replace it with a modern puck computer module but measure the diameter once removed before you buy a replacement.

Last edited:
agreed. you have purchased a console holding a standard plastic SPG and an uwatec digital depth gauge.

the depth gauge does not have a user replaceable battery. do a google search for uwatec digital depth gauge battery replacement and i believe you will discover that the unit must be cut apart to expose the battery, but once the battery has died the instrument can not be rescued since calibration settings were stored in battery backed memory.

you now have a uwatec paper weight.
 Digital depth gauge - DIY battery exchange

Thank you very much for your replies, diversteve and giffenk. :)

I'm disappointed about the bricked gauge, but oh well, it's the life of a bargain hunter to both win and lose gambles.

I looked into depth gauge modules/pucks, and found a Sherwood analogue wrist-mounted gauge for $33 (AUD), which seems like a good replacement candidate. I've just messaged the seller to find out what its diameter is.

Thanks again, I had done a lot of searching to try and figure out what this thing was, and didn't expect to find out right after posting here! (Obviously, I'm quite new to the scuba world and am still learning what things are called) :)

post and learn (as opposed to post and bitch).

the link you provided is for an old fashioned mechanical depth gauge - with a wrist strap. The gauge should fit in your console. you will the have a left over wrist strap.

one alternative to consider is just buy an inexpensive used dive computer - or 2.

i currently use a plain plastic SPG (you could go all brass and glass) and a pair of old used dive computers.

Interesting, dive computers cost quite a bit though, even secondhand. I think it'd be wiser for me to wait and dive a few years before making that investment. Also, I really love the idea of a wrist computer with transmitter for air data, so I'll probably save up for that. Now I think about, it was kind of silly of me to assume that the Uwatec gauge was a dive computer, given how cheap I bought the regs for (~$80).

Interesting, dive computers cost quite a bit though, even secondhand. I think it'd be wiser for me to wait and dive a few years before making that investment. Also, I really love the idea of a wrist computer with transmitter for air data, so I'll probably save up for that. Now I think about, it was kind of silly of me to assume that the Uwatec gauge was a dive computer, given how cheap I bought the regs for (~$80).
Like many things, dive computers can be inexpensive (volkswagen) or stupid expensive (ferrari). do some research and discover what is available. i claim you should be able to find a suitable used volkswagen style computer for around $100.

I can't find anything below ~$250 on ebay or gumtree (eqv. to craigslist), but I'll keep an eye out when I go diving with others, maybe there are secondhand ones in clubs, etc.
By the way, volkswagen isn't really a cheap make over here! :p

Anything import is expensive in Australia.
I would remove the bulky rubber casing of the console.

As far as I know you can change the battery of the bottom timer but must be carried out before the battery dies! Because the memory is volatile. There is a post somewhere in SB on the matter. YES, you need to surgically cut open the casing!

Back
Top Bottom