Uwatec AI vs Oceanic DataTrans vs Suunto Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cptcrush

Reaction score
I would like to get a board opinion on these hoseless computers.
If someone did a thorough research and compared these 3 computers. Would be nice to know why someone choose one over the other. Also I would like to know what people don't like about these computers. I like negative coments more since, I can get all of the positive information from manufacturers websites.

Thanks

Thanks. I have looked and I am looking for a complete thread instead of bits and pieces.

Uwatec (assume Nitrox Z):

Factory battery change.
Limited displays while diving.
Have to have D/L link and software to change some settings.
Downloads can be difficult at times.
Needs the Memomouse to be really useful.

Datatrans:
Don't know.

Vytec:

Vvvvvveeeeerrrryyyy conservative dive profiles. I mean REAL conservative.

If gauge mode is used, it locks you out of either air or nitrox for 48 hours.

I would buy this one for rec diving, but don't plan on any reasonable deco unless its in gauge mode.

Logging software is only so-so IMO.

Phil

uwatec Very good units
More conservative than oceanic
AirZO2 if you are using rebreather it is the only way
Oceanic famous for losing link very bad
Vytec VERY COnservative never use for deco dive a nitec on one gas will leave deco faster!!!!!!!!!!!!! but link is good

Great info. Thanks.

It looks like I have to consider Oceanic Vs Suunto. And Oceanic startting to look pretty good. I think it has a better display and a list of features seem to be more or less the same.

MechDiver once bubbled...
Uwatec (assume Nitrox Z):

Factory battery change.
Limited displays while diving.
Have to have D/L link and software to change some settings.
Downloads can be difficult at times.
Needs the Memomouse to be really useful.

Datatrans:
Don't know.

Vytec:

Vvvvvveeeeerrrryyyy conservative dive profiles. I mean REAL conservative.

If gauge mode is used, it locks you out of either air or nitrox for 48 hours.

I would buy this one for rec diving, but don't plan on any reasonable deco unless its in gauge mode.

Logging software is only so-so IMO.

Phil

I ended up with a Uwatec AirZ Nitrox, and have used it for the last 3 weeks.

My wife has an Oceanic, and after using it with 4 dives I immediately threw it out.

Prior to the Uwatec, I had a U.S. Divers Monitor 3, which was one of the very first air-integrated units, and was made for USD (now Aqualung) by Uwatec.

Here is what I came up with for me

Oceanic:
Pros:
-----
* Temperature Display

Cons:
-----
* Awkward interface (IMO, as compared to the Uwatec/Suunto)

Suunto:
Pros
----
* User replacable batteries
* A better algorithm (some people call it conservative, I call it safe)

Cons
----
* New/untested. I expect that it'll take a while before these units are as reliable as the Uwatecs, who have been doing consumer AI computers for over 8 years

Uwatec:
Pros
----
* Been doing it a long time, and people who own them like them
* Display is easily read

Cons
----
* Using an older algorithm that may not be as safe as the Suunto
* Temperature is read, but is not displayed and requires a downloader to get to it.
* Non-user replaceable batteries.

For me, I threw out the Oceanic as I hated the newer version of it vs. my old Uwatec. I considered the Suunto, but felt it was new enough (the wireless model) that it needed more time.

I bought the Uwatec AirZ Nitrox, and have used it on a half-dozen dives and do not regret my decision.

If/when my wife replaces her computer, we will probably look very seriously at the Vytec, since it'll have a few years to work the bugs out of it.

Nate

newton once bubbled...
I Prior to the Uwatec, I had a U.S. Divers Monitor 3, which was one of the very first air-integrated units, and was made for USD (now Aqualung) by Uwatec.
Nate

I have a Mon 3 also. Actually, I'm on the third one now...just keeps on tickin'

Phil

I have a Mon 3 also. Actually, I'm on the third one now...just keeps on tickin'

I was on my second one that died for unknown reasons. Uwatec had replaced it over a year ago, and after getting out of the water last month it just died. It worked fine during the dive, but on the walk back to my truck it stated 'Err'.

I contacted Uwatec, and they no longer support the M-3 (not even for battery changes apparently), so my only choice was to 'Upgrade' it to a new unit or switch to a new computer.

I considered the latter as my wife's USD Scan 5 (ie; Oceanic DataTrans or Aeric computer) worked fine for her, but after using my Uwatec for 4 years, I didn't like the layout of her Oceanic, and the interface was *very* kludgy.

I punted and 'Upgraded' to the top-of-the-line AirZ Nitrox, and so far I've been happy.

My only big complaint about the Uwatecs is that temperature is not displayed. (Oh, and the non-replacable batteries is a pain too, but so far the computers have failed before the batteries died. :wink:

Nate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom