Uwatec AI vs Oceanic DataTrans vs Suunto Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Nate.

Can you clarify why you didn't like Oceanic. I am confused.

newton once bubbled...
I ended up with a Uwatec AirZ Nitrox, and have used it for the last 3 weeks.

My wife has an Oceanic, and after using it with 4 dives I immediately threw it out.

Prior to the Uwatec, I had a U.S. Divers Monitor 3, which was one of the very first air-integrated units, and was made for USD (now Aqualung) by Uwatec.

Here is what I came up with for me

Oceanic:
Pros:
-----
* Temperature Display

Cons:
-----
* Awkward interface (IMO, as compared to the Uwatec/Suunto)

Suunto:
Pros
----
* User replacable batteries
* A better algorithm (some people call it conservative, I call it safe)

Cons
----
* New/untested. I expect that it'll take a while before these units are as reliable as the Uwatecs, who have been doing consumer AI computers for over 8 years

Uwatec:
Pros
----
* Been doing it a long time, and people who own them like them
* Display is easily read

Cons
----
* Using an older algorithm that may not be as safe as the Suunto
* Temperature is read, but is not displayed and requires a downloader to get to it.
* Non-user replaceable batteries.

For me, I threw out the Oceanic as I hated the newer version of it vs. my old Uwatec. I considered the Suunto, but felt it was new enough (the wireless model) that it needed more time.

I bought the Uwatec AirZ Nitrox, and have used it on a half-dozen dives and do not regret my decision.

If/when my wife replaces her computer, we will probably look very seriously at the Vytec, since it'll have a few years to work the bugs out of it.

Nate

Since I already listed my Uwatec choice in more detail, I mention more details on the Oceanic.

Note, this is (obviously) an opinion issue, but having used both the Oceanic (actually, an exact clone) and a Uwatec (both older and newer models) on multiple dives (>6), I feel somewhat qualified to give my opinion.

Take it for what it's worth:

Oceanic Pros:
* User replacable batteries
* Temperature is prominently displayed

Oceanic Cons:
* Confusing user interface (Viewing logged dives)
* No automatic turn-on. (The Uwatec/Suunto units turn on automagically when they get wet.)
* The display is not nearly as usable/helpful as the Uwatec. I believe the Uwatec presents the important information a diver would want to see in a more prominent location.

I will grant the Oceanic's O2/N2 loading feature is somewhat better than the simple times that the Uwatec display, but the other information is not displayed as well.

Note, I dove with a Uwatec AI computer for 4 years, and the Oceanic for 2 months, so I'm probably a bit biased towards the Uwatec.

Nate

Great Thanks again
\
\
newton once bubbled...
Since I already listed my Uwatec choice in more detail, I mention more details on the Oceanic.

Note, this is (obviously) an opinion issue, but having used both the Oceanic (actually, an exact clone) and a Uwatec (both older and newer models) on multiple dives (>6), I feel somewhat qualified to give my opinion.

Take it for what it's worth:
]

Back
Top Bottom