UTD Z+, Razor BAT or Xdeep Stealth 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

surface buoyancy is an issue at the end of a dive it can normally be solved by letting the tanks hang – i.e. removing the bungee attachment.

This is best done while still underwater, I normally remove the long hose, coil it and clip it to a small bungee around the tank neck before surfacing, it’s also easy to remove the necklace from the primary (left) tank and untie the bungee attachment while still 1-2m underwater, hold the tank in place until your at the surface, inflate then pop the LPI connection and let the tank hang – this keeps both tanks in the water and therefore neutral or positively buoyant so all the BC lift is used for you, not holding tanks above the waterline.

+1 I do something very similar routinely. On safety stop/end of last deco stop, I re-stow/tidy my right-hand cylinder and remove it entirely. I then repeat with the left hand cylinder, leaving the reg and LPI attached for the final ascent phase. Upon surfacing/inflating, the cylinders are free and ready to be immediately handed up to the boat...and I have zero problems with buoyancy.

I will sometimes also arrange a drop-line beneath the boat to attach the right-hand cylinder (and any deco tanks) to, before surfacing.

If this still isn’t enough you can always use a DSMB on the dive and use it for additional support at the surface,

DSMB works great under the armpits for any extended surface float.

Hi guys,
indeed the Stealth 2.0 is a real treat, combines the best essence found in top sidemount systems plus introduces new solutions i.e. weight management and BC design / mount.
Please feel free to PM me if interested in seeing / trying Stealth yourself, I'm meeting divers at local quarries (mostly Dutch Springs) very often but will go to Willow Springs and Bainbridge Quarry soon
so for those living near by might be a good opportunity to get to know or try this system. I'm heading to Florida for cave diving next month so will be able to meet some folks down there as well.

Cheers,
Sebastian

The Stealth bc is not attached to the harness, but rather attached to your body via bungee cords, no? If so, how does this perform in, say, a high flow cave system?

Thanks,
Dave

The Stealth bc is not attached to the harness, but rather attached to your body via bungee cords, no? If so, how does this perform in, say, a high flow cave system?

Thanks,
Dave

Good question Dave,
well its a very firm and fit mounting method.
When you adjust the bungee cords with just right tension it will be very comfortable and since BC keeps very (very)
low profile it doesn't create resistance in high low caves nor slides off etc. It really feels like its more a part of your body.

Here is a set of pictures with tricks and tips on how to set up the Stealth 2.0 sidemount system, it clearly shows and explains how the system is design, its components and unique solutions.

Stealth 2.0 Sidemount Basic Setup | Facebook

I believe that some of these pictures will give you some ideas to use with your other current sidemount set.

Enjoy,
Sebastian

Hum...might be worth a look...perhaps a try out dive.

From a purely an observational perspective, all 3 systems have great features but also some things that puzzle me.

The Razor is the original and one of the best system and it's KISS. At 45lbs lift it's also great all round wing for all sorts of warm water diving.

The UTZ system has a great manifold and distribution system however, the 20lbs/9 kg Z–Trim seems a little light for tropical diving. If it was 30-35lbs it would be near perfect.

The XDeep Stealth seems to be the most refine of the bunch however, there are no vids of it in action which make its difficult to imagine the shape of the wing as it inflates. Even the way the wing expands is a rather vague.

This:
http://www.xdeep.eu/pics/products_pics/sm_worek/desc/mocowanie_dol.png
To this:
http://www.xdeep.eu/pics/products_pics/sm_worek/desc/spluczka_l.jpg

An in-depth discussion of all the differences between the setups would be great.

Attachments

• 527820_375328305862287_1634109164_n.jpg
    527820_375328305862287_1634109164_n.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 178
  • mocowanie_dol.png
    mocowanie_dol.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 206
  • spluczka_l.jpg
    spluczka_l.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 194
I put in a few more dives w/ my z-trim. Following Karl H's advice I now find doffing tanks more manageable. Another instructor (Alex of MDA) advised me to just don the left tank on the surface, clip the right tank to the hip D-ring then wrap the right bungee underwater. This also made donning tanks manageable.

Just weighing in with my recent experiences with my purchase and learning to dive my UTD Z-Plus system, with isolatable manifold

I had been eyeing this setup for some time and decided that because of its iso. manifold that can act just like my doubles, and how it would trim down on all my reg setups (A Z-regulator consists of a 6inch SPG or button SPG, a 22-24inch low pressure hose with male QC6, and a overpressure valve) that I can travel anywhere in the world, get two AL80s, 72s, whatever, and simply plug in to my z system and be ready to dive. After a good month of emailing back and forth between UTD support, I had the information I needed & funds and bought the package. It took 2 weeks to get here because I ordered at a bad time - they were waiting for a new batch of isolatable manifolds to come in to finish my order.

I thought the system would come 100% unassembled and I would have to spend a good day threading the webbing and setting it up to my liking, but to my surprise it came fully assembled, just needed to attach my long hose\necklace hose, and the 2 QC6 female hoses, trim the waist webbing and modify the crotch strap, and it was ready to dive. I took it for a shallow dive with two AL80s and it felt SO natural. I have been slowly getting used to trimming out and the modified emergency drills compared to regular sidemount or my doubles, but it has been a great experience all in all and I would recommend it for sure

From a purely an observational perspective, all 3 systems have great features but also some things that puzzle me.

The Razor is the original and one of the best system and it's KISS. At 45lbs lift it's also great all round wing for all sorts of warm water diving.

The UTZ system has a great manifold and distribution system however, the 20lbs/9 kg Z–Trim seems a little light for tropical diving. If it was 30-35lbs it would be near perfect.

The XDeep Stealth seems to be the most refine of the bunch however, there are no vids of it in action which make its difficult to imagine the shape of the wing as it inflates. Even the way the wing expands is a rather vague.

This:
http://www.xdeep.eu/pics/products_pics/sm_worek/desc/mocowanie_dol.png
To this:
http://www.xdeep.eu/pics/products_pics/sm_worek/desc/spluczka_l.jpg

An in-depth discussion of all the differences between the setups would be great.

I understand the curiosity so here is a great album from one of our friends with good pictures that will help visualize the system performance even more.
Notice that one diver have different manufacturer harness stacked with Stealth 2.0 wing. It shows a diversity the whole Stealth 2.0 sidemount system and its components separately.

Enjoy !

Album part I - Teaching a Cave Course in Sidemount, Part 1 | Facebook
Album part II - Teaching a Cave Course in Sidemount, Part 2 | Facebook

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom