USS Oriskany Diving Rules.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
I intend also to skipper my Whaler out there and double hose though the flight decks at 160 feet with all you Techies!

I'd like to get a picture of that :) Caption would read...

Free diver swims into the Oriskany and reclaims vintage dive gear from the big O's lockers!

Wouldn't it have been grand had they left a few worn out F4s on her and maybe a plaque commemorating all the men and women that served aboard her.

Anyway, you guys that get out there first are going to be in for a great time, best of luck to you all. N

well, we can't do the Phantoms

but it might be nice to get a plaque dedicated to all the O's crews and air crews
over the years and secure it down there somehow

Nemrod:
Wouldn't it have been grand had they left a few worn out F4s...

That'd be cool, first hurricane would wipe em off the deck and into the sand I'd bet though...

Maybe some of the techies with scooters can do touch-n-go's in formation.

The plaque could be something that can be added even after it goes under. Excellent idea too
icon14.gif

H2Andy:
ar ar, true that!

:14:

You are starting to sound like Yoda...:sofa:

By the way, do you think any of the supposed guidelines will change, if the island ends up on the bottom???

PaulChristenson:
By the way, do you think any of the supposed guidelines will change, if the island ends up on the bottom???

Thank God the US Navy is sinking this ship instead of the 'idiot' who sank/flipped the Speigel Grove. The Navy has a lot more experience in sinking ships (about 225 years) and salvage work so that hopefully they will do it right. They've also got the resources of the Navy salvage school in PCB to make sure it's done right.

- Price per person for a 2 tank/ 2 dive trip to the USS Oriskany is $145, payable at time of booking. There is a 48 hour cancellation policy – no refunds will be given for diver cancellation within 48 hours of the trip. Fees for trips cancelled by the captain will be refunded.

HAHAHAHAHAHA oh man I'm laughing so hard I'm crying here.

No mooring balls, poo. On the flip side of the coin, this will be more of an annoyance to fishermen than divers. Dive operators can toot down and find a shallow place to tie up to.

Not that I have anything against fishermen, but I'd rather not be diving in close proximity to them.

Most of the analysis of the rules has been correct. The guidelines were the product of 2 years of communications with local operators, the major cert agencies, insurance companies, etc. We tried to be as liberal as we could be while minimizing potential "statistics".

The rules posted on our website are the policy of our shop and the boats that we work with. Most of the other operators have expressed the intent to follow the same guidelines.

For our purposes, "Tech" means deco. Gear configuration is up to the diver.

Alternate air source means at least an octo.

Tech Trips are more because of fewer divers, more weight, more fuel, longer hours, etc. They simply cost more per diver to run.

Gloves - to protect hands and to "encourage" divers to grab the wreck in the case of a current, minimizing the probability of a free ascent in a crowded area.

Everything posted is subject to change, based on what happens when she goes down.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom