USS Oriskany Diving Rules.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
This is from MBT Divers in P'Cola, but I think that all the dive shops got together to come up with a set of minium rules for divers using their shops to dive the Oriskany.

Posting here as I'm sure people have been wondering what the "rules" will be.

Oriskany Dive Ops

The following specifics for dive operations for trips to the USS Oriskany have been established, and we are now taking bookings! Please remember, we do not own the boats, and all charter fees and policies are set by the captains.

- Price per person for a 2 tank/ 2 dive trip to the USS Oriskany is $145, payable at time of booking. There is a 48 hour cancellation policy – no refunds will be given for diver cancellation within 48 hours of the trip. Fees for trips cancelled by the captain will be refunded.

- Tanks and weights are not provided, but can be rented at MBT Divers.

- All divers wishing to dive the USS Oriskany must have a minimum of 20 logged dives.

- Openwater Divers that do not possess an advanced certification or a deep diver specialty certification:
- Must have completed a total of 20 logged dives
- Will be required to dive with a guide.
- Must have completed 2 logged dives within the last year or complete a refresher dive.

- Advanced Divers or those with deep diver specialty certifications:
- Must have completed 2 logged dives at or below 80’ in the last year to dive without a guide.
- Must have completed 2 logged dives within the last year to dive with a guide.

- Divers must have the following equipment:
a. Alternate air source
b. safety sausage or similar marker device
c. whistle
d. gloves

- Groups wishing to privately book an entire boat will be required to provide a 50% nonrefundable deposit at time of booking. (Deposits will be refunded in case of trip cancellation by the captain).

- Technical diving is permitted only on specially scheduled trips or with private booking. Additional charges will apply for tech divers.

Any of the information provided above is subject to change at any time.

Call ASAP to book - trips are going to go fast

mike_s:
- Technical diving is permitted only on specially scheduled trips or with private booking. Additional charges will apply for tech divers.

OK I can grasp the specially scheduled trips, but why a higher cost?

Why the gloves requirement?

Higher cost per diver likely because fewer can fit on the boat. Taking a group of tech divers out with 2 sets of doubles, deco bottles and other assorted gear (scooters, etc) means there won't be room on the boats for a lot of divers.

As for the gloves, my guess is that with a fresh wreck, there will be lots of sharp edges.

Of course, I am merely speculating here. Would be nice to hear from the operators themselves.

the bit about the gloves sucks

i can understand not wearing gloves near a reef (such as in Bonaire), but
i can't hurt the ship by not wearing gloves

and please let ME worry about hurting myself, thanks

Thalassamania:
OK I can grasp the specially scheduled trips, but why a higher cost?

Actually, the costs aren't as bad as I thought they would be. The $145 bucks is pretty similar to an Empire Mica trip costs out of PCB and it's about the same distance boat ride.

Well last year, a 4 hour trip (typically 3-5 miles offshore) was what? $70 bucks? I'm betting that will go up since diesel fuel is $3/gallon. I think some have already raised their rates to $75-$80/trip.

So a trip to the Oriskany, which is 22 miles off the coast of P'Cola and 32 miles off the cost of Destin will definately take longer than your 4 hour $75-$80 trip. Lots of extra diesel fuel involved. Seeing how it will most likely be a 8-10 hour trip minium, I'm surprised it's not more than $145 actually.

As for why tech divers cost more than normal divers? well there will be fewer per boat, take twice as long, carry more gear, need more topside crew support (to help "walk" them to the side in rough seas when wearing doubles and maybe sling bottles).

Longer days also might require 2nd captain on board. Per US Coast Guard laws, a captain can only be on duty for 12 consecutive hours before he has to be relived by a 2nd captain.

Why the gloves requirement?

To keep from cutting your hands. They don't want cut open hands at depth while 22 miles out to sea and to have to 'abort' a trip and carry someone back in ruining everyone elses trip so someone can get stitches in their hands.

mike_s:
They don't want cut open hands at depth while 22 miles out to sea and to have to 'abort' a trip

clean the wound, wrap it tight, and let them learn their lesson well while the
others dive

:14:

Yea right!

Lawsuit waiting to happen.

H2Andy:
clean the wound, wrap it tight, and let them learn their lesson well while the
others dive

:14:

mike_s:
- Divers must have the following equipment:
a. Alternate air source
b. safety sausage or similar marker device
c. whistle
d. gloves

-t [/I]

Alternate air source - does that mean pony, or Octo?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom