Review Captain Hook’s Dive Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wants2divemore

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
TLDR: Great op, would recommend

I did a 2-tank morning dive on the Vandenberg with Captain Hook’s Dive Key West.

Check in: Since I had never dove with them before, they checked my log book to make sure I had enough experience for the Vandenberg (it’s not for beginners).

Boat: Emerald See, a 46’ catamaran. Some seats in shade but most in the sun. There’s a marine head which wasn’t working today (thankfully no one needed it).

Safety briefing: Throrough. Covered where AEDs, first aid kit, and oxygen is. Reviewed dive plan, explained entry and exit process. They hang an AL80 with reg at 15’ in case anyone needs it.

Dives: There were 6 divers + 2 guides. Each guide carries an AL40 pony with them. Both dives were group dives lead by the guide, who did a good job of leading people around the wreck and avoiding the ever-changing current as much as possible.

Surface Interval: They provide water and fruit.

Overall good dive op, priced similarly to most in the area, and I wouldn’t hesitate to use again.

One other question, what if I don’t have a logbook?

I have my PADI Divemaster C-card, issued in 2000.

Would that be sufficient?

Hi @Wants2divemore

Could you describe your dives? Nitrox or air? Depth, avg depth, time? Where did you cover on the dive? Sounds like your dives were entirely follow the guide, right?
Both dives were on air. I didn’t ask if they had nitrox fills but it wouldn’t have mattered if I had nitrox since no one else did (including the guides) and it was a group dive. I don’t think many dive nitrox on the Vandy since if you drop a light off the side it’s 150’ to the ocean floor and and even with 28%, you’d violate MOD getting it.

Both dives were similar: descend down permanent mooring line to top of superstructure (we tied in near the middle of the wreck), descend father down to deck level (about 100’), swim around some, ascend to about 80’, swim around some more, then ascend back up permanent mooring line, doing safety stop at 15’. Both dives were entirely follow the guide. Water temp 81F surface, 78F bottom. 50’ viz.

At the initial briefing he mentioned that if everyone looked good at the first dive we might do a swim through. At the SI, he asked if anyone wanted to or just swim to the bow and look at the entire ship from that vantage point. I asked for the swim through and others agreed. The guide entered an area through a door for the swim through (I don’t know exactly what it was, but it had 1 other door exit visible on the opposite side of the room plus a ceiling exit - the area was perhaps 30’ x 20’ - 20’ across to the other door). I followed him in and hovered waiting for the others to enter. After about 30 seconds he signaled for everyone to go back out the way we came, which we did. When I asked him about it on the SI he mentioned that a few in the group seemed like they might have issues (hitting their heads on the ceiling, some stirring up silt) so he had everyone leave to be safe. I imagine some might disagree since it was a simple rec dive, but I had no problem with him deciding to do the swim through (it was a simple safe area with the exit clearly visible without any dive lights) but also think he did the right thing by abandoning it once he saw some potential problems.

One other question, what if I don’t have a logbook?

I have my PADI Divemaster C-card, issued in 2000.

Would that be sufficient?
Can’t say, but I imagine that would be fine. I think they just want to make sure that you’re not trying to dive the Vandy as your 5th dive overall.

Perhaps if you have done any recent dives. 2000 was a long time ago.

Card was issued in 2000, originally certified in 1986, quit counting dives in the1990’s. Minimum of two trips a year (other than COVID), four to six dives per trip.

Can’t say, but I imagine that would be fine. I think they just want to make sure that you’re not trying to dive the Vandy as your 5th dive overall.

I guess we’d maybe show computer log records?

Thanks!

Card was issued in 2000, originally certified in 1986, quit counting dives in the1990’s. Minimum of two trips a year (other than COVID), four to six dives per trip.

I guess we’d maybe show computer log records?

Thanks!
Usually just state last dive date, bet you would be fine

Both dives were on air. I didn’t ask if they had nitrox fills but it wouldn’t have mattered if I had nitrox since no one else did (including the guides) and it was a group dive. I don’t think many dive nitrox on the Vandy since if you drop a light off the side it’s 150’ to the ocean floor and and even with 28%, you’d violate MOD getting it.

Most folks will stay above 110’ depth for recreational dives on the Vandenberg. 30-32% EANX is fine for 1.4 max PP02 depending on your plan, and recommended if you want more bottom time and/or want to do a second dive.

Lance

Thanks for the review. Most reports that I hear from Captain Hooks are positive. I hope to dive with them this winter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom