Key West operators? Several days in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always recommend Finz. For cattle boat diving, Captains Corner. I was a dive operator in key west for almost 20 years. I’m here to tell you that Phoenix belongs to South Point, Easy Diver to Dive Key West, Dream is Lost Reef Adventures, and Sea Eagle belongs to Captain’s Corner.

Key West Scuba Diving does not have their own boat.
Oh, not arguing -- just found it interesting that South Point Divers, Dive Key West, and Key West Scuba Diving all seemed to use the same web template and at least South Point and Key West Scuba Diving both say they use the Phoenix for the Vandenberg.

I booked something through Key West Scuba Diving, and the reservation was actually with Southpoint Divers. They must be like an agency or something? I called southpoint divers directly and they had my reservation and could make changes to it.

I think Key West Scuba Diving may be a "virtual" operator.

I think Key West Scuba Diving may be a "virtual" operator.
They actually have a crappy van on Stock Island at Safe Harbor. Big signs on both sides. So there is actually something real.

The van moves, so someone moves it.

They actually have a crappy van on Stock Island at Safe Harbor.
The crappiest, smelliest van I've ever ridden in belonged to a pretty good dive shop in Hilo, Hawaii. A crappy van is not a disqualification. However, Hilo has shore diving... Key West not so much.

The crappiest, smelliest van I've ever ridden in belonged to a pretty good dive shop in Hilo, Hawaii. A crappy van is not a disqualification. However, Hilo has shore diving... Key West not so much.
Yup, no dislike of the crappy van, with me it was a crappy van in Akumal in the 80s.

But they don’t have their own boat.

I'm using Finz at the beginning of next month for a Dry Tortugas trip. I can post a report when we get back
Uh, might that be the WWII Type 21 U-boat 2513 70 miles South of Key West in the Dry Tortugas ? If yes, I look forward to your AAR. Unless you would like to take me with you ?
I spoke to Finz about that trip this week. For the above trip he requires 2 sets of at least 100's doubles and Trimix cert'. I too expect to be in the Keys diving and Tech training in April.

Don't forget the U-16 a WW1 U boat is also in the Dry Tortugas in 200' FSW.

Don't forget the U-16 a WW1 U boat is also in the Dry Tortugas in 200' FSW.
The S-16 is about 23 miles SW of key west in 200 feet. U-2516 is closer to 90 miles west and north of the Dry Tortugas in about 185 feet. There is quite a bit of live ordinance on the 2516. I have a mooring chain on S-16.

After numerous phone calls, I could only find one boat that goes to those 2 wrecks and they go 2X's per year by charter. They would not take me since, I don't have Trimix Cert. I will revisit the idea the end of this year, when I expect to have it.

After numerous phone calls, I could only find one boat that goes to those 2 wrecks and they go 2X's per year by charter. They would not take me since, I don't have Trimix Cert. I will revisit the idea the end of this year, when I expect to have it.
When you get closer, let me know. I used to run a liveaboard to both wrecks and better ones out there. I will know who is putting a trip together, and some of those folks are Trimix divers you’ve seen on TV or here on ScubaBoard.

When you get closer, let me know. I used to run a liveaboard to both wrecks and better ones out there. I will know who is putting a trip together, and some of those folks are Trimix divers you’ve seen on TV or here on ScubaBoard.
Thank you for your generous offer. Expect to hear from me in mid to late April. PM Sent to you.

My research showed that there used to be a liveaboard boat that regularly went to those tow wrecks and then was sold about 8-9 years ago and is now a research vessel and it is now much harder becuse of that sale to get to these wrecks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom