Using Skype from Roatan to USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the pay as you go plan and checked my skype account records to see that I paid $0.021/min for several calls back to the U.S.

Thanks shawrg...Dandy Don doesn't trust me, so I'm glad you were able to come up with the records for him to prove that was the correct rate :duck:

Also hope to stream some college football highlights during our first weekend.

One comment on this....the thread originally started with making VOIP calls. Video streaming may be a bit different. One of the places I stay at has said in the past that their connection wasn't very good for video applications and also large file downloads. It may depend on what you are using.

Also, I suggest you turn off any automatic Windows update downloads while you are there.

Thanks shawrg...Dandy Don doesn't trust me, so I'm glad you were able to come up with the records for him to prove that was the correct rate :duck:
Aw now, you're the nicest and most helpful person on this forum. You did say you think it's 2.1 c/min and we hear that rumored; I just wanted someone to look at their bill if they would, as the rate to Honduras is like 20 times as high. I also wondered if you'd read my above postings on all this? :confused:

Skype has always been challenging for me to understand, but I think I get it now....
The rates vary with the country called, not the country pairs - so calling to the US or other 30 cheapest countries is always 2.1c/min;

Since he was only a Pay-as-go, he got charged, but since I was on virtually Unlimited US & Canada subscription I was not. :idk:
All this would seem to fit since the actual computer phone service costs the company almost nothing and about all they have to pay for is the phone service in the country called, with the US being competitive vs Honduras being Honduras as we know it. :eyebrow: Well CCVman says I'm not qualified to have opinions here but that'll never stop me. :D

Then there was confusion with weaponeer misreading the Skype pages and rates, which I understand since they are confusing to me too - have to read very closely, as "unlimted" is not unlimited, "global" is actually 40+ countries not including Honduras, their page says their rates start at "2.3c/min" with is actually 2.1c/min when billed in actual USD, and so on. I like to think I am rather detail-oriented, but when the details don't line up - it gets confusing. :silly:

Glad we got to the bottom of this I think without pissing anyone off I hope, as I've long wondered.

Well, I'm happy with the results of this discussion. Much was learned and I'm more confident with what to expect when I'm in RTB using Skype. Looks like I'll use the pay-as-you-go since no other usage plan fits the situation and I'm OK with paying the nominal fees. I won't be making lots of calls to the US but it's nice that I can without paying thru the nose. Thanks to all who have provided insight.

Maybe it is the same cost from any country to the U.S. as I also saw that calls I made from Palau and from Hawaii were also 2.1 cents a minute. I tried to look up calls I made from other countries but skype only stores calls made in the last 6 months & my other trips were outside that range.
How about that. I presumed it would be the same cost from there to US as from US to there, but apparently not. Thanks for the confirmation. We hear 2.1c rumored, but nice to have it looked up. Seems like it's more about where you call to than from, as in my case.

They advertise "2.3c/min (2.6c incl. VAT)" for 30 countries" but they actually work with Euros so the end result may be a little off. Like they advertise $2.99 for the US & Canada plan, but I get charged $2.95.

Maybe it is the same cost from any country to the U.S. as I also saw that calls I made from Palau and from Hawaii were also 2.1 cents a minute. I tried to look up calls I made from other countries but skype only stores calls made in the last 6 months & my other trips were outside that range.

It's simple. Skype doesn't care WHERE you ARE... just where you are calling :wink:

You could be on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean, and if you have internet access... your calls cost whatever your plan says they do.

It's simple. Skype doesn't care WHERE you ARE... just where you are calling :wink:

You could be on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean, and if you have internet access... your calls cost whatever your plan says they do.
That just was not obvious to me before, but it is now. :silly: I have mentioned this before on threads now and then and heard all sorts of guesses, but this seems to be it.

For Americans: Get the $2.99/month virtually unlimited US & Canada plan and call home all you want to. You'll see the rate being charged when you make each call: 0c/min!

Cancel when you get home if you don't want to keep the monthly subscription. I use Paypal for payment and would cancel at Skype.com and the subscription at Paypal.com both.

Yes, that is very nice but you are not getting the whole story. If you want to "rent" one of the wireless modems at AKR you have to put up a $250.00 deposit, so be prepared for that small detail.

This is a follow-up on wireless internet costs at AKR. I recently asked them what the costs are and they told me that their internet service is WiFi, no additional wireless modem required. It's $25.00 for the week, no deposit required since no external modem is rented.

Looking forward to arriving there this Saturday.

This is a follow-up on wireless internet costs at AKR. I recently asked them what the costs are and they told me that their internet service is WiFi, no additional wireless modem required. It's $25.00 for the week, no deposit required since no external modem is rented.

Looking forward to arriving there this Saturday.

I'm happy to hear they have changed that since last year...wise move :wink:

Have a great trip and please give us a report when you return...we'll be thinking of you:D

I used Skype from both Utila and Roatan with great success. When I lived in Roatan, I took a Packet 8 (like Vonage) device with me. I activated it in the US and had a US number. I made and received calls on a normal telephone (wireless) with only the monthly fee. Worked even better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom