Using Skype from Roatan to USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used it from my hotel in the West End and had no problems.

A couple of years ago when we stayed at AKR service was a bit more intermittent and didn't work as well. This was using the computer in the lobby.

The $25.00 fee at AKR is wireless modem use for the week. Beats having to go to the lobby to use their computer and pay an hourly rate and allows us the privacy of using it from our room.

Yes, that is very nice but you are not getting the whole story. If you want to "rent" one of the wireless modems at AKR you have to put up a $250.00 deposit, so be prepared for that small detail.

I think the rate for calls to the U.S. is 2.1 cents per minute or something similar. Ten bucks goes a long way :wink:

Yes, that is very nice but you are not getting the whole story. If you want to "rent" one of the wireless modems at AKR you have to put up a $250.00 deposit, so be prepared for that small detail.

I think the rate for calls to the U.S. is 2.1 cents per minute or something similar. Ten bucks goes a long way :wink:

Well that's a very important detail they don't put on their website, now isn't it. I've emailed AKR and asked for the "fine print" on modem rental. I'll post the details of their response. Thanks for the heads up.

All good information and very much appreciated. We'll be staying at AKR and bringing our laptop for wireless access, $25.00 for the week. I've contacted AKR asking for a Key room with good reception and they put that request on our record. Won't be traveling around the island at all so this will be our exclusive method for internet. Also hope to stream some college football highlights during our first weekend.

Stream us some video from Roatan:D Have a great trip! I'll be in Pensacola.

Can one of y'all check your Skype records? I know that I have never been charged for calling home from multiple trips to Coz or the last trip to Roatan, but would like someone else to check.

Skype international calls start at " 2.3c/min (2.6c incl. VAT)" for 30 countries from US, but rates vary by countries - with Honduras being 37¢/42.6¢ and not really included in a subscription. Still, something about taking my US laptop elsewhere and calling home = free?

BTW, the hot & humid air can be deadly on electronics. If you do take your laptop from your air conditioned room to outdoors to use like I did, keep it wrapped up for the initial transition and let it warm up gradually - or have a good, extended warranty cover. :D

Last edited:
Can one of y'all check your Skype records? I know that I have never been charged for calling home from multiple trips to Coz or the last trip to Roatan, but would like someone else to check.

Skype international calls start at " 2.3c/min (2.6c incl. VAT)" for 30 countries from US, but rates vary by countries - with Honduras being 37¢/42.6¢ and not really included in a subscription. Still, something about taking my US laptop elsewhere and calling home = free?

BTW, the hot & humid air can be deadly on electronics. If you do take your laptop from your air conditioned room to outdoors to use like I did, keep it wrapped up for the initial transition and let it warm up gradually - or have a good, extended warranty cover. :D

Do you have a skype number or a plan with unlimited US Calling? If you do. Then it's free from ANYWHERE in the world.

The per minute to Honduras is to make calls to a Honduras based phone.

Well that's a very important detail they don't put on their website, now isn't it. I've emailed AKR and asked for the "fine print" on modem rental. I'll post the details of their response. Thanks for the heads up.

I didn't mean to alarm you...that's what it was last October when we were there. As far as I remember, it is just a deposit that you will get back when you return the modem. But you would just need to be aware of that so you can be prepared :D

Do you have a skype number or a plan with unlimited US Calling? If you do. Then it's free from ANYWHERE in the world.

The per minute to Honduras is to make calls to a Honduras based phone.
Ah, then I guess that how I got the free calls. Ok, so subscribed to the virtually unlimited US calling plan for $2.99/month and call home for free! :thumb:

I have the pay as you go plan and checked my skype account records to see that I paid $0.021/min for several calls back to the U.S.

I have the pay as you go plan and checked my skype account records to see that I paid $0.021/min for several calls back to the U.S.
How about that. I presumed it would be the same cost from there to US as from US to there, but apparently not. Thanks for the confirmation. We hear 2.1c rumored, but nice to have it looked up. Seems like it's more about where you call to than from, as in my case.

They advertise "2.3c/min (2.6c incl. VAT)" for 30 countries" but they actually work with Euros so the end result may be a little off. Like they advertise $2.99 for the US & Canada plan, but I get charged $2.95.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom