Roatan reef bleaching/ health?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here a representation of what you will likely see:
Thanks for posting this fabulous video. I was beginning to cross CCV off my list given some recent reports I had seen and some poor videos from acquaintances. I may have to reconsider.

Just got back from 2 week stay and I have to say I'm the most pessimistic about the reef than I've ever been. From other posts here I wasn't expecting (though looking at posted vids I guess I should have been) to see so much bleaching! Our first dive (at Camp Bay) both my wife and I were appalled by the large bleached coral heads all around us. Other years (we've been going over spring break for many years) there had been bleaching but recovery was more progressed when we visited. DMs told me it was better than a few months ago but it was sad to see. The scariest part to me was the water temp. Normally (to me: not sure how acurate my memory is) it would be around 79-80 in March but this year it was consistently 81-82. With the coral still stressed I'm really concerned with these temps; how high will it get come Sept/Oct?

That said the diving was still decent. seemingly any place with good current flows (Morat wall, Texas, West End Wall for example) seemed in good shape. and there are still a few brain coral here and there; hoping there may be some resistance to Stoney coral Disease. I was surprised to get many opportunities to spear Lionfish, even on well travelled sections of the reef. Maybe hunting pressure is down? Seemed to be many more largish grouper as well as schools of Jacks.

Less green turtles and eagle ray sightings for me and no Hawksbill this year.

I missed seeing a hammerhead by one day, DM Anthony in Camp Bay reportedly had a sighting the day after we left.

All in all a good stay but I'm already worried about what I'll find next year...

I prefer the West End, Roatan experience, but for diving Cozumel is much better.

Just got back from 2 week stay and I have to say I'm the most pessimistic about the reef than I've ever been.
Same here. Spent a week at Coco View in January 2023 and the reefs looked good with lots of marine life. Just returned from a week on the Roatan Aggressor (fun boat; loved the crew) and was shocked by the condition of the hard corals. Was hard pressed to find any healthy hard corals. Looked like not only bleaching, but SCTLD as well. Hoping it won't reach the Pacific. Only 2 dives at Cayos which looked much much better. Unfortunately, diving there is often called off due to rough seas.

Attachments

• Roatan reef 2.png
    Roatan reef 2.png
    850 KB · Views: 11
  • Roatan reef.png
    Roatan reef.png
    916.1 KB · Views: 12
When I was in Roatan a couple years ago, I heard someone talking about the great color on the reef we had just visited. I pulled out one of the reef life reference books the operator had on hand and showed them the life they were raving about. It was a variety of leafy green algae.

People who have been diving around the world for more than a quarter century can remember the way it used to be everywhere. I don't believe there is a reef anywhere in the world that has not suffered greatly in the last two decades. We have a new normal today, but don't get used to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom