Using Skype from Roatan to USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weaponeer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone used Skype to make laptop VOIP calls to USA landlines? If so, how did it work for you. I'm thinking about using it for my upcoming trip to RTB. Any tips would be appreciated.

I used it when I was down there in February and it worked ok. It all depends on the speed of the internet connection where you are staying.

I have used it at my home and it was OK sometimes but I have never been fond of any of the voip set ups I tried and cell phones are pretty cheap and my lanline per minute is even cheaper so thats the way i go.
Maybe i am just old fashioned as even at my Florida house with blazing internet I have just enough times when it goes out or slows down i would not consider even their phonelines let alone voip

I used it on a dive boat in T&C while we were docked near an open wireless channel.
Worked fine to call the states - both land lines and cell phones.
You just have to make sure you have a decent connection.
It works better with a dedicated microphone and headset.

Has anyone used Skype to make laptop VOIP calls to USA landlines? If so, how did it work for you. I'm thinking about using it for my upcoming trip to RTB. Any tips would be appreciated.

I use skype every day to call to the United States (I am actually on the phone right now via skype to someone). Here in the Dominican Republic, the internet connection speeds kind of suck, and still my calls sound pretty good most of the time.

I have unlimited calls to the U.S. for an annual rate. Very good deal... Otherwise, I think it's only like 2 cents a minute?

I also have a skype in number, and I have a Dominican Cell phone. I forward my skype in number to my dominican cell, and can receive calls from the U.S, and people in the U.S. don't pay anything to call me, and it only costs a few cents a minute; with no roaming charges. Actually... I forward my U.S. Cell to my Skype-In then to my Dominican Cell, and voila... people call me here... and don't even realize I am here. :wink:

HowardE...YOU ROCK! You've got the whole system figured out - I wish I had things half as figured out as you :acclaim:

But even a simpleton like me is able to make Skype calls from Roatan. We are able to log on to the free WiFi at Fantasy Island and call home to check on the kids. The only problem is finding time to do it :D

Glad to see it works in Roatan. To those that are using Skype in Roatan, do you use the "pay as you go" or monthly plan? Is there a minimum number of months you have to sign up and pay for? I believe the rate to call landlines in the US is fairly high in Honduras compared to other countries if you use the "pay as you go". Skype's global calling plan appears to be the way to go. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You may want to consider the cell phone route.While in Roatan in April I bought a cell phone for $15 ,which included some free minutes, from a Digicel sales person who was walking through the West End. Got 30 minutes of airtime that could be used to call local or international for about $5. Worked great. Also, don't know whether it was real or perceived but it seemed like we actually got considerably more than 30 minutes out of it. Still have the phone for return visits.
Enjoy your trip!

I have used Skype to call home from Roatan. Works like a charm, and only 2.1 cents per minute. Skype will function with only a marginal internet connection.

Skype works well but you may want to have an alternate plan. While internet access has greatly improved, there are times when it goes out or slows to a crawl. I usually carry an unlocked quad-band GSM phone and pick up a Honduran cell chip (Claro, Tigo, Digicel) and some minutes. Calls to the US are then only pennies a minute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom