Using A Long Hose Isn't Just For Tech Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novadiver:
rec solo dive. single apeks reg with spg, inflater hose, 22in primary,pony with mares mr12 , button spg.

Deep solo deco , twin apeks hog rig, tech set up with 24 in primary and 22 inch back up, deco with oms deco reg and DR spg

rec team dive single tank, short hoses all around.

deep team with possible penatration, Hog rig with long hose.

overhead, hog rig with long hose.

I've never seen an ooa diver shake off a short hose. and die because they wanted a longer hose:)

and if one of my regs blew up , I'd go to another because that's the way I was trained
So basically the person is right in your face or behind and on top of you when they get your reg.

What do you two do when you go to blow a bag. Bet that's entertaining. :wink:

There's lot of ways to go OOA, this is recreation thread - obviously you could blow a tank O-ring, have a hose etc. Even with the best planning, OOAs can happen.

JeffG:
Do you put your primary on the left post and your backup on the right???

I'm just trying to picture how this is setup?

edit: Or is the primary 24" on the right post, and goes under the arm and to the mouth?
22 is on the back up, 24'' was the hose that just happened to be on the reg when I got it. that would be the primary

novadiver:
22 is on the back up, 24'' was the hose that just happened to be on the reg when I got it. that would be the primary
OK...I see and understand.

ABQ:
MASS-Diver,

Well, in open water I want an OOA diver close to me, enough for me to hold onto, or especially, if I'm the OOA diver; anyway the dive is over, up we go. The whole purpose of the 7' cave secondary hose is to REACH the OOA diver who is either behind, in front, or too off to the side, etc.

Again, you go up vertical right? I don't do that, if we have OOA we keep our normal trim and we don't blow off out saftey stops. If you are facing one another, but horizontal, the 7' is great. Plus we don't always go up - if you are in a shipping lane or something and you go OOA you may want to swim for a bit first and then ascend.

Again, to anyone reading this thread - go and practice OOA drill is 20 or 30' of water - you want to share air and do slow controlled ascents (and try a stop or two) - right away you will see why AIRII and the like are junk and long hoses are a huge advantage.

Here ya go novadiver, since you claim to have missed it the first time....
MASS-Diver:
Rock bottom = amount of gas required by two divers to go from the bottom to the surface in an emergency gas sharing situation (making all nec stops).

We give ourselves 1 minute for an emergency on the bottom (this can be tweaked, if you want 2, use 2)

1 minute for each 30' on the way up

we'll include min deco (1min at 30, 1 min at 20, 1 min at 10) - if you don't want to do this - don't!

Assume 1 cu' SAC

we then need to convert out sac to average atmospheres for the dive

Here's an example - it's NOT perfect, but if gives you an idea of how this works

We are doing a 100' dive:

total ascent time (with stops) is 6 mins (x2 divers) = 12 minutes of gas - SAC x average ATAs = 2, 12 minutes x 2 cu'/min = 24cu of air - and you can take it from there converting the cu to psi depending on yoru tank size. (it comes out to about 1000psi for an al 80)

HAPPY NOW, I'm giving away secret! No cool-aid for me ever again!

If you want more info or more units - take the class
To which you responded in post #305(but apparently forgot that you did)...
novadiver:
OMG, 1000 psi for an al 80. what the hell do you think 1/3rds is? this is beyond the pale that you did all the math and come out with the same answer as I can in 1/100 of a second. and you want others to join? again OMG
So then lamont pointed out
lamont:
Lets try that again for an AL80 at 140 fsw, and I bet it doesn't come out to thirds.
Instead of trying to prove that you were actually correct, you change the subject.
Later (post #330) you throw out more nova gas skills...
novadiver:
it's 1/4rs into a siphon and 1/3rds into the flow. that overhead caving. for deco diving in open water it's sac x time x ata plus 50%.
You were once again corrected in post #339...
simbrook:
Dont know what agency that was or when that was, but current guidelines suggest that you use a maximum of 1/3 in, retaining a minimum of 2/3's to exit when going into flow or in no flow systems, hence the maximum that you want to go in is 1/3 - many cavers i know dont push that maximum too hard. When going with the flow in a siphon it is suggested that you only use a maximum of 1/6 your volume entering and retain 5/6's to exit - pretty conservative, but you have to work much harder on the way out and if you have one on the team OOA, you are going to burn through much of that 5/6's. Just think if you have to work twice as hard to exit and both of you were on one set of tanks due to OOA, would 1/4's work?
and you respond with...
novadiver:
I agree , I was useing the 1/4rs example as a baseline to show that there are times when planning thirds doesn't work.
Your response was hilarious I tell you. Like a flounder out of water....
I'm going to stop there as I think the point is proven.

Jason

OE2X:
So basically the person is right in your face or behind and on top of you when they get your reg.

What do you two do when you go to blow a bag. Bet that's entertaining. :wink:

they deal with it, and this is were skills comes in handy

MASS-Diver:
There's lot of ways to go OOA, this is recreation thread - obviously you could blow a tank O-ring, have a hose etc. Even with the best planning, OOAs can happen.

Yes.

In certain dive profiles... knowing that if you go OOA... well, that will be pretty much be all she wrote - that profile is not recreational, and I don't go there. I practice OOA drills all the time... try it with a head ache, without a mask while ascending, while way out of trim, zero vis, on a night dive (in a pool) with lights out (simulates vertigo), with a buddy on one reguator only...

novadiver:
they deal with it, and this is were skills comes in handy

Good point, diving a such poor rig must require a lot more work and skill.

You know you are in for a tough dive when you ask your buddy about sharing air and he say "hey, just deal with it." Nice

Back
Top Bottom