Used Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Used gear is fun, but I bought all new when I first started ('94) as I didn't know anything to judge used gear. I've bought several sets (reg sets and BC's for both my boys and a couple spares), but I bought what I knew and serviced myself already. As other's have recommended, talk to your LDS (hopefully it's one of the good ones) - either to see if they have used gear, differences about gear, your usage/plans, etc. Of course they want to sell you new stuff and if you plan on doing a lot of diving, new might be a good investment. I still dive that same set I bought in '94 with the computer I bought a few years later. Most of the stuff I bought off ebay did require service. The one AI computer was missing the orings in the quick release swivel, but since I bought what I had/knew, I had extras on hand and it was a few minute fix. Until you know more about the gear, I would be hesitant to buy ebay or facebook - but if supported by your LDS, used through them may be good. One shop near here used to have a spring swap sale - you could buy from others but could ask the LDS right there about the gear. Good luck.

IMG_2613.JPG

Regulators are designed to be completely re-buildable and function as good as new for 20-30 years at least. And, they haven't really improved in terms of design and performance in that time span. So, buying used, high quality, 20 year old regulators can be a great way to save money and get a regulator that works absolutely fine. Don't fall into the "life support" trap; it's a pile of nonsense designed to get new divers to spend more money on what is actually a very simple piece of sporting equipment. Diver safety is determined by diver behavior and judgement, and spending more money on gear does nothing to increase your safety.

The problem is that you need to be able to evaluate these used regulators, because there are some that have been abused and would cost more to fix than to replace, and there are some that are longer supported with parts by the manufacturer. So as a new diver looking for your first regulator, the used market without any guidance is risky.

Ideally, what you have mentioned, is correct -- though, you've captured the core problem; and that evaluation of used gear often comes at a considerable cost. In my experience, the interiors of many used regulators -- even the higher-end models -- have been an utter mess, with heavily-gouged sealing surfaces, from ham-fisted o-ring and / or seat removals -- sometimes repairable with labor-intensive hand-sanding, serial reassembly, and repeated testing; others, definitely not, with permanently unstable IPs.

Brass is a very effective heat sink; but it's terribly soft.

There is a clear reason why all of the manufacturer's manuals constantly stress avoidance of damage to threading and sealing surfaces; it's that common an issue.

I have a wide array of chromed brass paperweights in my office, from bargain-seeking clients who, later, simply wished them tossed.

A late-great shop once used a spent first stage as a restroom key fob . . .

All my gear is used. I factor in a service with the cost. So far I haven't been burned, 2 bc's 2 full reg sets, 5 safe 2nds, 3 computers, 8 tanks, 3 sets of fins, 2 lights... I think the only 'new' I've bought has been a couple wetsuits, a pair of fins, and 2 masks. It's always a risk but so far I haven't had an issue.

My first real gear purchase was my reg. scubapro 25/600 combo, with service I was into it $150 with a "I think this is new remark" from the lds. Besides a couple small scratches it looked like it came out of the box yesterday. Pawnshop find in a pile of nasty scubagear, no intention of upgrading soon.

Ideally, what you have mentioned, is correct -- though, you've captured the core problem; and that evaluation of used gear often comes at a considerable cost.

Of maybe 20-25 1st stages and at least that many 2nd stages I have bought used, most of which were 30 years old or older, maybe one 1st stage and one or two 2nd stages couldn't be put back into service due to excessive corrosion. Most have been in excellent condition and simply needed a thorough cleaning and service.

Of maybe 20-25 1st stages and at least that many 2nd stages I have bought used, most of which were 30 years old or older, maybe one 1st stage and one or two 2nd stages couldn't be put back into service due to excessive corrosion. Most have been in excellent condition and simply needed a thorough cleaning and service.
Pretty much my experience too, I have had a few that I didn’t think were worth the time or effort to rebuild but maybe one or two that were unable to make work properly due to massive neglect, for the most part I feel much better buying a used regulator over just about anything else in scuba gear because they are so rebuildable.

for the most part I feel much better buying a used regulator over just about anything else in scuba gear because they are so rebuildable.

This should be chiseled into something

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom