Used Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i am thinking maybe to just play safe and buy a new Atomic Z2 for $500 instead of the SP MK25 used for $500 ...cant handle horror stories... enough horror already in the world....Thank you

Yeah, that's the way to go, especially for a new diver.

Splurge on your actual life support equipment -- and everything else can be had on the used market, if that's to your taste, with little concern . . .

An eBay horror story:

I was once at a local dive shop waiting while the employee helped a woman picking up regs for her husband. He had bought them on eBay and they were so old that repairing them wasn’t possible. If I remember correctly, the labor charge was around $200. Wife was peeved she had to pay that much for non-functional regs, but the shop is due their labor charges.

I have purchased plenty of used gear over the years, including regs (a pair of Apex XTX50s that came with my used doubles rig).
The key, however, is that I knew the sellers in each case, knew their gear and most of its history. None of the purchases were online.
Thank you so much my friend

Another way to buy used regs is to talk to your local dive shop and find out what they have. In addition there are members that sell regs on ScubaBoard occasionally.. Until you have experience evaluating regs, it could get expensive finding a good one on your own.

I have bought regs on eBay and craigslist, but I can wait a long time for a decent one at a fair price to show up. Some have no idea what they are selling, which occasionally can be good for me, and others are trying to pull a fast one. I've been looking at regs since the '60's, working on them from the '80's, and I can still buy a bad reg, but when in doubt I try not to pay much.

Good luck
this is a great idea. local shop. thank you so much my friend

i am thinking maybe to just play safe and buy a new Atomic Z2 for $500 instead of the SP MK25 used for $500 ...cant handle horror stories... enough horror already in the world....Thank you
The Z2 is great and can be sealed if you want, definitely a better deal than a used mk25.

So here is my recent story buying used regs:

A few weeks ago I purchased a HOG D3 1st with pair of zenith 2nd stages. Verified through HOG/Divers Supply the info the seller gave me, that he purchased the regs this past July. The reg set arrived and from the outside everything was fairly pristine...but my IP gauge indicated the reg was out of spec high and the IP would creep another 10psi....the zenith octo would burp air periodically too as if it needed adjustment or was acting as an over pressure valve or both.

After some good discussions with HOG and one of their reps, and an explanantion to the seller, the seller was willing to take the reg set back so he could explore if there is any warranty related issue. All good except I had to eat the shipping both ways....$18 to me and $22 back. While not the end of the world, the original purchase price and the shipping both ways would have put me in the ballpark of a new HOG D1 with a pair of new classic 2nd stages.

Used regulators can be a good deal, but you might find that unless you really know what you are looking at, and can assess the state they are in, you may be better off purchasing new.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

-Z

I bought my Mares reg used in 2005 and still going strong. I bought it at our local dive shop, so can't comment on online buying.

T

he Z2 is great and can be sealed if you want, definitely a better deal than a used mk25.
thank you so much. i think i will go for that. they offered me the Z2 @ $509 sealed with 10% off.. i think i am going for it . Thank you so much

So here is my recent story buying used regs:

A few weeks ago I purchased a HOG D3 1st with pair of zenith 2nd stages. Verified through HOG/Divers Supply the info the seller gave me, that he purchased the regs this past July. The reg set arrived and from the outside everything was fairly pristine...but my IP gauge indicated the reg was outnof spec high and the IP would creep another 10psi....the zenith octo would burp air periodically too as if it needed adjustment or was acting as an over pressure valve or both.

After some ggod discussions with HOG and one of their reps, and an explanantion to the seller the seller was willing to take the reg set back so he could explore if there is any warranty related issue. All good except I had to eat the shipping both ways....$18 to me and $22 back. While not the wnd of the world, the original purchase price and the shipping both ways would have put me in the ballpark of a new HOG D1 with a pair of new classic 2nd stages.

Used regulators can be a good deal but you might find that unless you really know what you are looking at and cand assess the state they are in, you may be better off purchasing new.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

-Z
Thank you so much for shearing Z. i am not long enough in diving to determent what is good or bad as second hand so i think i will definitely take your advice and go for my favorite BCD the Atomic Z2. for what i plan to do, i thing this will be fine. be safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom