Used Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trust is diving gear serviced by others buying second hand is knowledge used undergarments is sensational

And punctuation is helpful.

I don't buy second hand gear for most things because I cannot trust that it was taken care of. Regardless of any ADDITIONAL trust I would put on someone to properly service it.

my question is should i consider used regulators? they are many good regulators like the SP MK 25 that are in good condition (they say...) for less 50% and more from the retail price... should i consider that?
I have purchased at least 15 used regulators on eBay. I have NEVER had an issue with them. I always service them after I buy them, irrespective of any seller claims that they have 'just been serviced', or anything like that. I still have all of them, and use them. But, I tend to buy specific items - specific brands, specific first stages, and specific second stages, with which i am familiar.

Now, that is NOT a guarantee that you absolutely will not encounter a problem if you decide to buy used, it is only my personal experience, offered for what it is worth.

I do have the benefit of being able to service them myself, so the cost is somewhat more manageable. But, if you get a good price on a used reg, even after service it is probably a financial gain. One suggestion, if you decide to purchase on eBay: find a reg that you want, not just a reg that is for sale. Before bidding, get a good / valid 'new' price estimate (you can do this online). Decide what you are willing to pay (personally, I never pay more than 50% of a new, discounted - e.g. online vendor - price, and usually much less), and STICK TO YOUR MAXIUMUM PRICE - don't let the 'thrill' of the bidding process cause you to pay more, just because you want to 'win'. I have found many overlooked bargains, and I have also passed on quite a few regulators on eBay where the bidding passed what I considered to be reasonable.

I have purchased at least 15 used regulators on eBay. I have NEVER had an issue with them. I always service them after I buy them, irrespective of any seller claims that they have 'just been serviced', or anything like that. I still have all of them, and use them. But, I tend to buy specific items - specific brands, specific first stages, and specific second stages, with which i am familiar.

Now, that is NOT a guarantee that you absolutely will not encounter a problem if you decide to buy used, it is only my personal experience, offered for what it is worth.

I do have the benefit of being able to service them myself, so the cost is somewhat more manageable. But, if you get a good price on a used reg, even after service it is probably a financial gain. One suggestion, if you decide to purchase on eBay: find a reg that you want, not just a reg that is for sale. Before bidding, get a good / valid 'new' price estimate (you can do this online). Decide what you are willing to pay (personally, I never pay more than 50% of a new, discounted - e.g. online vendor - price, and usually much less), and STICK TO YOUR MAXIUMUM PRICE - don't let the 'thrill' of the bidding process cause you to pay more, just because you want to 'win'. I have found many overlooked bargains, and I have also passed on quite a few regulators on eBay where the bidding passed what I considered to be reasonable.[

Thank you so much. this is very helpful and eye opening information.
all the best,

It is great that you’ve had good luck with eBay; and the fact that you can service the gear yourself, is certainly a boon, shared by relatively few.

I, too will occasionally buy known brands and specific models on the used market -- mostly, older regulators, to be salvaged for parts; but I never expect too much.

My last trip, though, when I really think about it, wound up being largely funded, by the repair of quite a few eBay bargains, just too good to be true . . .

I've done a good split of new and used gear myself. Regs (Deep6 Signatures) I've opt'd to go new for the piece of mind and knowing exactly where they sit within the service window.

On the other hand, I've gone used BCDs and computers where there is a little less than can be wrong but 'hidden' there. Way I see/understand it, for instance, is that if a BCD holds air with no visible signs of cracking/etc., it's likely pretty solid. Not certain of course...could have crystalization inside the bladder, etc. that would limit how long they'd last, but less likely if well kept on the outside. And the computers...get the battery replaced on arrival, update the firmware, and voila...has been good to go on the three different units I've bought second hand.

Regulators are designed to be completely re-buildable and function as good as new for 20-30 years at least. And, they haven't really improved in terms of design and performance in that time span. So, buying used, high quality, 20 year old regulators can be a great way to save money and get a regulator that works absolutely fine. Don't fall into the "life support" trap; it's a pile of nonsense designed to get new divers to spend more money on what is actually a very simple piece of sporting equipment. Diver safety is determined by diver behavior and judgement, and spending more money on gear does nothing to increase your safety.

The problem is that you need to be able to evaluate these used regulators, because there are some that have been abused and would cost more to fix than to replace, and there are some that are longer supported with parts by the manufacturer. So as a new diver looking for your first regulator, the used market without any guidance is risky. I bought my first regulator new, a SP MK2, and I don't regret it but I haven't used it in years; I keep it around as a stage reg and to fill tires with. As I learned more, I realized buying used was much more cost effective, so I relied on advice from a few experts on this forum, and sent my new-used purchase to oneof them for service, and it worked out great. Eventually I learned to service my own and that's where I am now. I routinely use regulators that I spent under $100 on for cave diving, where reliability is extra important.

If you're fine with spending $500 on a new atomic reg, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. It's not an unreasonable price, although you probably also need an alternate 2nd stage and SPG, so that's likely another $200 or more. Still, people spend much more than that. If you wanted an alternative, you might spend a little time on the regulators forum on this site and ask people like couv or rsingler what they have. These are expert reg technicians, likely more knowledgeable than someone who works at your dive shop, and they are not in this to make money (if they are, sorry guys!).

Virtually any decent quality regulator from one of the major manufacturers will work perfectly fine for your needs. All these devices do is reduce tank pressure to atmospheric pressure so that you can breathe it. There's nothing complicated or mystical about it, although the reg manufacturers and dealers might prefer that you believe otherwise.

nothing wrong with buying used equipment......just make sure to message the seller and get some service history before hand.....if they cant or wont tell you, pass...regardless of how good the regs look....pass on them.

i just got a good deal on a set of used Poseidon regs the other day.....messaged the seller and actually had a really nice conversation with them about the regs, their service history, and diving in general.

what you want to watch out for is buying regs that were dove, never serviced or rinsed, put away wet 10+ years ago......and have been sitting ever since.

you also want to make sure you can still get your regs serviced....if the regs arent currently in production, a quick call to your local dive shop should let you know if they can be serviced.

Bob
I’m getting back into diving after a long hiatus and want to get my SP MK7 with Air1 second stage serviced. Scubapro no longer supports these but there seems to be a guy called Warmwaterjack who sells a lot of Scubapro gear on EBay and he has offered to fully rebuild them for me. Have you ever heard of him and if so, what is his reputation? His EBay reputation is 5 star.

Bob
I’m getting back into diving after a long hiatus and want to get my SP MK7 with Air1 second stage serviced. Scubapro no longer supports these but there seems to be a guy called Warmwaterjack who sells a lot of Scubapro gear on EBay and he has offered to fully rebuild them for me. Have you ever heard of him and if so, what is his reputation? His EBay reputation is 5 star.
I have dealt with warmwaterjack and found him to be very helpful. I bought a mk 5 from him for almost nothing. When I talked with him he told me he prefers to sell from Facebook, since eBay takes so much in fees. If you want I can send you his phone number.

Edit: The mk 5 I bought from him seems to be in great working order. I cannot vouch for him as a technician, as I have only bought one 1st stage from him, but I will buy from him again. I hope this helps.

If you are set on a used reg set, here is my 2 cents for what it is worth:
  1. Ask your Local Dive Shop what do they charge to service a regulator. Typically there are three (3) regulators per set-up (1st stage, 2nd stage and Octo). I have seen rates vary between $30-$50 per stage plus service kits which can range $15-$45+. It is not unreasonable to budget $150-$200 for a complete service (plus the base price for the reg set)
  2. Regardless what the seller states, you just don’t know the history of the reg set. It is wise to start with a clean slate. Get the regs serviced.
  3. Even after servicing a used reg set you still have a used reg set.
  4. For every used reg set for sale, there is a reason why the seller is getting rid of it. They might tell you or they might tell you something they think you are willing to hear.
  5. I run a dive shop and for every used reg set we see, about 50% are great regs and the rest only appear fine until servicing.
  6. When I first started diving I bought quite a bit of used gear. Sometimes I did ok, but a few times not so ok.
  7. As a new diver...you don’t know what you don’t know. In my shop we will inspect any used gear that a diver might be buying and offer our opinion. If you are buying locally, your LDS might also offer the same service.
You mentioned earlier you were looking at a new Atomic Z2 over a ScubaPro Mk25/???. I would look at the Z3 over the Z2...the comfort swivel on the Z3 is a great feature. When the engineers designed the Atomic regulators, they were designed with materials that could go 5 years between servicing. It was dealers that pushed for a two year service interval to match other brands. I have switched all of my personal regulators (28) from ScubaPro Mk25/S600s, Mk25/S620s, Mk17/G260s to all Atomic, primarily B2s. They breath better on blind tests out of the box that our customers participated in, built with better materials, and easier to service.

And remember when you have spent your hard earned money on your new reg set it becomes a
used reg set.
which will only need servicing when required which you can check with this simple device from

Compact IP Gauge (PSI and BAR)

dx-70145_2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom