Used Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nisso13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi . i am new here so thank you in advance for all the support.
i lately started to dive and intending to do that more often specially in S Florida and the Caribbean but probably not more than 25-50 dives a year.
my question is should i consider used regulators? they are many good regulators like the SP MK 25 that are in good condition (they say...) for less 50% and more from the retail price... should i consider that?

Thank
you so much

Buyer beware for what you see on eBay and Craigslist. FB Marketplace might be iffy as well. The regs posted here probably are going to be in better shape.

Buyer beware for what you see on eBay and Craigslist. FB Marketplace might be iffy as well. The regs posted here probably are going to be in better shape.
Thank you so much Marie

nothing wrong with buying used equipment......just make sure to message the seller and get some service history before hand.....if they cant or wont tell you, pass...regardless of how good the regs look....pass on them.

i just got a good deal on a set of used Poseidon regs the other day.....messaged the seller and actually had a really nice conversation with them about the regs, their service history, and diving in general.

what you want to watch out for is buying regs that were dove, never serviced or rinsed, put away wet 10+ years ago......and have been sitting ever since.

you also want to make sure you can still get your regs serviced....if the regs arent currently in production, a quick call to your local dive shop should let you know if they can be serviced.

Yes used saves a bunch of money but you need to factor in a service in the price. I usually only buy used and only service if it’s indicated by performance but I do my own service. Sealed first stages are usually a better bet for being in usable condition used.

Hi . i am new here so thank you in advance for all the support.
i lately started to dive and intending to do that more often specially in S Florida and the Caribbean but probably not more than 25-50 dives a year.
my question is should i consider used regulators? they are many good regulators like the SP MK 25 that are in good condition (they say...) for less 50% and more from the retail price... should i consider that?

Unless, you're capable of working upon the regulators yourself; or, perhaps, willing to risk the purchase of an expensive paperweight, I'd avoid any eBay "bargains."

I've worked on a good number of them, over the years; and, with very few exceptions, they were generally crap, and very costly to repair -- often, cross-threaded, with damaged sealing surfaces and plenty of corrosion.

Here's a link to one of those horror stories:

https://www.scubaboard.com/communit...ly-used-until-transparency-is-achieved.575048

Unless, you're capable of working upon the regulators yourself; or, perhaps, willing to risk the purchase of an expensive paperweight, I'd avoid any eBay "bargains."

I've worked on a good number of them, over the years; and, with very few exceptions, they were generally crap, and very costly to repair -- often, cross-treaded, with damaged sealing surfaces and plenty of corrosion.

Here's a link to one of those horror stories:

https://www.scubaboard.com/communit...ly-used-until-transparency-is-achieved.575048
this are the stories that scare me... so sorry to hear. learning the hard way... Thank you so much for shearing

Yes used saves a bunch of money but you need to factor in a service in the price. I usually only buy used and only service if it’s indicated by performance but I do my own service. Sealed first stages are usually a better bet for being in usable condition used.
i am thinking maybe to just play safe and buy a new Atomic Z2 for $500 instead of the SP MK25 used for $500 ...cant handle horror stories... enough horror already in the world....Thank you

I have purchased plenty of used gear over the years, including regs (a pair of Apex XTX50s that came with my used doubles rig).
The key, however, is that I knew the sellers in each case, knew their gear and most of its history. None of the purchases were online.

Another way to buy used regs is to talk to your local dive shop and find out what they have. In addition there are members that sell regs on ScubaBoard occasionally.. Until you have experience evaluating regs, it could get expensive finding a good one on your own.

I have bought regs on eBay and craigslist, but I can wait a long time for a decent one at a fair price to show up. Some have no idea what they are selling, which occasionally can be good for me, and others are trying to pull a fast one. I've been looking at regs since the '60's, working on them from the '80's, and I can still buy a bad reg, but when in doubt I try not to pay much.

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom