US State Department Issues Honduras Travel Advisory & Reality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The other thread dealing with the coup was moved to "The Pub" and I can't access it. Is that an area reserved for paying members?

Meanwhile, the old impeached president is planning to return (possibly to a jail cell according to the media). Sounds like more fun and games. I don't understand, he gets exiled to Costa Rica and I am stuck here in Houston, LOL.
.................................:eek:fftopic:....................:hijack:
The political :boxing: jousting thread has indeed been moved to The Pub - ScubaBoard :argument: You may easily "opt in" to the Pub by selecting it in your preferences. :deal: Just click on the thread and follow the instructions.

Let's do our best to keep this ongoing thread INFORMATIONAL in regards to the day-to-day life and goings-on from the visitor's perspective on the :snorkel2: Bay Islands

However, I agree with being stuck up North- I'd rather be in Roatan, and will be soon enough!

The Honduran population here in Miami, Florida are concerned that Chavez may take some military action. Like most communists this may be idle threats. In any case just wanted to drop that add'l info. Don't want to get into politics, just wanted to share the feelings from our locals.

Thanks Doc for the update and I appreciate all your help in the last few months getting my trip ready.

Carnival Cruise Lines (the only scheduled cruise line ships for this Summer) will continue with their regular Roatan stops.

All airlines continue to operate their standard schedules.

... and from other, equally reliable sources :

- A coconut fell off a tree on the West End

- Monkey-La-Las were on special after 4:30

- 47 Sea Horses were spotted today

- For 18 new divers, it's "completion Tuesday", open water portions of their certifications are done!

- Sand Flies seemed to be at an all time low (they're probably regrouping)

- 37 Divers were agog at the Shark Dive

- a very nice Sunset is scheduled tonight for 6:22 p.m. CST

More as the situation develops.

I suppose this thread will attract critics who will suggest that there is nothing to worry about and that I alarm people needlessly by posting such - but I think it's good to know about the statements from reputable sources. This alert certainly sounds like one to heed...!

June 29, 2009

The Department of State alerts U.S. citizens to the current unstable political and security situation in Honduras, and recommends that American citizens defer all non-essential travel to Honduras until further notice. This Travel Alert expires on July 29, 2009.

On Sunday June 28, the Honduran military ousted President Manuel Zelaya and sent him out of the country. There are military or police checkpoints throughout Tegucigalpa, and there have been reports of sporadic demonstrations.

The Department of State recommends that American citizens residing in and visiting Honduras remain close to their homes or hotels unless their travel is of a life or death nature, or a scheduled departure from Honduras, and that U.S. citizens restrict travel within the country to necessary trips. The Government of Honduras has imposed a curfew for June 29 and June 30 from 9:00 p.m through 6:00 a.m. The U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa strongly recommends American citizens to abide by such curfews and to check the Embassy’s website for the latest information on curfews. The U.S. Embassy has restricted the travel of its staff within Honduras to necessary trips. The decision to lift or continue those restrictions will be made on a day-to-day basis.

There have been regular demonstrations at the Presidential palace in central Tegucigalpa, and streets in the vicinity of many government offices are blocked by police or military. In general, the streets of Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula are quiet. Reports from the rest of the country indicate that calm prevails, although there have been cases of occasional roadblocks.

Honduras’ borders remain open, and the airports remain open for regularly scheduled flights. Continental Airlines, American Airlines, and Delta Airlines continue to operate flights as usual, though this is subject to change. Those traveling with Continental Airlines may wish to call (504) 220-0999 (Tegucigalpa), (504) 557-4141 (San Pedro Sula), or 1-800-231-0856 (United States). Those traveling with American Airlines may wish to call (504) 216-4800 (Honduras) or 1-800-433-7300 (United States). Those traveling with Delta Airlines may wish to call 1-800-791-9000 (United States and Central America) or (504) 550-1616 (San Pedro Sula).

The U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa strongly recommends that U.S. citizens avoid large gatherings and not try to pass roadblocks if they encounter them. U.S. citizens should monitor the situation via media sources, including TV and radio when possible, and via the internet.

The U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa and the Consular Agency in San Pedro Sula may close for all but emergency services as a result of the political and security situation. The decision to reopen the Embassy and the Consular Agency for non-emergency services will be made on a day-to-day basis. Check the Embassy’s website for up-to-date information.

The U.S. Embassy is located on Avenida La Paz in Tegucigalpa; telephone (504) 238 5114, after hours telephone (504) 236 8497; Consular Section fax (504) 238 4357; E-mail: usahonduras@state.gov Webpage: Embassy of the United States Tegucigalpa, Honduras - Home.

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department’s Internet website (Welcome to Travel.State.Gov), where the current Travel Warnings and Public Announcements, including the Worldwide Caution, can be found. Up-to-date information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S., or for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll-line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

Americans living or traveling in Honduras are encouraged to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the State Department’s travel registration website (https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs), and to obtain updated information on travel and security within Honduras. Americans without Internet access may register directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By registering, American citizens make it easier for the Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.

I suppose this thread will attract critics who will suggest that there is nothing to worry about and that I alarm people needlessly by posting such - but I think it's good to know about the statements from reputable sources. This alert certainly sounds like one to heed...!

Well, since you brought up the obvious subject about whether you "alarm people needlessly", I'll key off of that.

No, Don, it isn't that you posted this particular redundant thread, it's just that it's representative of a pattern of many similar style threads started and posts made that have identical information, so maybe this is "alarmist and needless".

There is already a similar thread that references this broad warning. It is titled, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...-issues-honduras-travel-advisory-reality.html

As to the warning itself: The State Department would put Northwest Indiana and most of New Jersey on the watch list if they could convince us that they were a foreign country.

Life goes on in the Bay Islands. Not a blip. Cruise ships arrive, all airlines are flying all routes (even on the Mainland).

Put that down and take a very deep breath.

The Bay Islands are quite separated physically (30 miles) and very much so different socially. Read the other thread in the Bay Islands forum, which curiously has a different title and perspective than the one created here. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...-issues-honduras-travel-advisory-reality.html

...and that I alarm people needlessly by posting such...

My posting style here on SB is to try to post the day-to-day truth and realities of dive travel, whether it's to Roatan or any number of my favorite dive destinations worldwide.

I try my best to not "needlessly alarm people".

We should all do what we're best at.

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured you'd want to confuse things.

This is the Cent American forum, not the Bay Islands sub-forum; you don't think this notice should appear in the main forum? There seems to be more to the country that the Islands.

But I take it from "The State Department would put Northwest Indiana and most of New Jersey on the watch list if they could convince us that they were a foreign country" that you don't think the State Department is a reputable source anyway...?

Yeah, I figured you'd want to confuse things.

We all have different perspective and backgrounds. I travel all over the world to go diving, not just to the Caribbean. I have at one time drawn a paycheck from the State Department. I don't dive with a Spare Air, I don't drink, I drive an NSX, I'm bald, no M.O.F. ... the list goes on and on.

If we were all the same, one of us would be redundant.

This is the Cent American forum, not the Bay Islands sub-forum; you don't think this notice should appear in the main forum? There seems to be more to the country that the Islands.

The diving and dive travel occurs on the Islands. From all reports, the mainland itself is safe, but we know to a certainty that the mainland airports are absolutely safe. Most travellers fly direct to the Islands, so it's a non-issue. If you are transiting through the Mainland of Honduras (maybe 1% of the visitors would do that), then fine- don't leave the airport transit lounge for your 20 minute layover.

But I take it from "The State Department would put Northwest Indiana and most of New Jersey on the watch list if they could convince us that they were a foreign country"

If you were taking a bus on the Mainland of Honduras, yes, I would put that in a similar category... on a good day.

that you don't think the State Department is a reputable source anyway...?

Wasn't it just you ? that stated in another thread, "Uh, it's a military coup. It may not just be the military behind it, but when soldiers arrest a president and send him out of country - quack quack, it's a duck. "

So now you disagree with the State Department, your reliable source? They aren't calling it a "coup".

We all should do what we're best at.

Spare air...?! Excuse me?!

So anyway...
rutabaga.gif

Back
Top Bottom