US State Department Issues Honduras Travel Advisory & Reality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leadweight,
There have been some demonstrations where some roads closed but i cannot recall one that closed the airport, when did that happen?

While Roatan is definately a bit removed from Honduras, this is a serious situation. A government has been overthrown. This is the first time since 1993 this has happened. Let's not pretend like Roatan is not part of that country. It's hard to say what effect this might have to all of Honduras. Surely Roatan and probably Honduras value the tourism dollars the island brings in. However, when the entire government is in turmoil, the UN Security council is meeting and the entire region is on edge, this is a time to be concerned.
I was hassled by the local police and military while on Roatan and now those very police may feel more empowered and emboldened. I might still visit Roatan if I already had plans but I certainly wouldn't take an entire family there right now.

We divers are not experts in government affairs and we can only give our opinions based on previous experiences. I doubt anyone posting has any real security training or understands the inside workings of a government that was illegally formed.

Just got into SAP this afternoon on AA along with many other passengers, though the flight did not seem to have as many passengers as normal, though there were the usual missionary workers and many children of school age.

The afternoon flight with SOSA was full and also booked up for tomorrow am, as their is a bridge blocked just outside of La Ceiba by protesters on an 'organized demonstration'. Hedman Alas and the cabs were not running today but Hedman Alas said they'd be back on schedule for tomorrow.

Aside from a few extra military personnel at the airport all seemed normal.

I'd just recommend flying to the islands and not using road travel for the next week or so, which the majority of people do anyway.

This information is just from what I picked up second hand at the airport, and so not official or validated.

HTH.

Regards,
Andy

Leadweight,
There have been some demonstrations where some roads closed but i cannot recall one that closed the airport, when did that happen?

I did not say the airport was closed, just that access to and from it on land was disrupted.

I doubt anyone posting has any real security training or understands the inside workings of a government that was illegally formed.

I have held credential from the Government of Honduras for a law enforcement capacity performed on the Bay Islands. My opinion is worth 3x that what you pay for any one else's here on SB. These credentials conferred the status of a Minor God (get out of jail free card) upon me, but I still had to bribe Customs Agents to let my gear pass through without import duty. It's all very fluid, even when you think you have a handle on it.

I was hassled by the local police and military while on Roatan

You were a foreigner, working on the island, driving a dilapidated truck. I tell visitors to never, ever drive on Roatan. The roads suck, there is no ER, and the traffic regulations are byzantine.

A Tourist? Nothing to fret about on the Bay Islands. Hire a driver.

...the UN Security council is meeting...

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Doc...I am liking you more and more every day! Had no idea you were such a god...:D

minor god.

But I'll take whatever I can get these days.

Doc just really loves diving and Coco View is his fave spot on this watery planet.

I certainly did not know that Doc has "credentials" from the Honduran government. Were those credentials given by an elected government or one created from an illegal action? Was Chavez going around at the time indicating his "people" are rising up and may "help" the people of Honduras?
If the fact I was foreign and driving an old truck makes me a "target" for the police, I'm pretty worried about all tourist on the island. Frankly, if not having an ER is a problem for driving, it should certainly be a concern to divers then. I put over 2000 miles on the roads in Roatan and the only problems I ever had were related to various road blocks and not the roads themselves. I've seen better roads and safer drivers of course and I do agree that most people should use taxi's. That doesn't change the fact the even the taxis get stopped and tourist occasionally get hassled. The fact that an illegal president is now in charge could encourage more of this behavior since the police may follow the lead of the military and make their own rules. I hope not but peope should know all sides of this issue and not be fooled by local operators with much to lose if tourism falls off. I'm sure things are okay on Roatan today and hope they will stay that way. I won't however try to sugar coat the situation just because I love diving and Roatan.

Doc just really loves diving and Coco View is his fave spot on this watery planet.

It is really one of five.

In the Caribben, I also like Tobago, Speyside (the North end)
- Philippines, Puerto Galera, Atlantis
- Sharm in the Red Sea, liveaboard
- Maldives via liveabaord

In the Caribbean, I have yet to find anything so easily accessible that offers the array of critters. The environs around CCV have everything I want. I've been dragged slowly behind a boat on a crude aquaplane and looked over the entire island for dive sites.

My love for the Bay Islands and the country go a lot deeper and longer than that. In the late 1970's, I met people who would go on to become those who ran the country. One of my dearest friends in life is a retired Congressman from Honduras.

Through the years, he introduced me to a lot of people who make day to day life a possibility in the country. I got to know Frederico Bloch, who owned TACA. Many of the people on the island who build, govern, and shape the island. Julio, Jerry, Vegas, Albert, Marcos, Bill, Doc, Stella, Evelyn, Patty, Tonio, Osman, Pelican, Billy, DV, Solomon and so many more... I've been to birthday parties, I've been to funerals.

In 1983, I took a different route and went off to Grenada. But after it all, I wanted to come to Roatan and find my place in the Sun. I've owned beautiful property there, but unfortunately never took up residence. Life got in the way.

In 1998, I showed-up following Hurricane Mitch and wound up being deputized by the government to do everything from writing news releases, unloading cargo planes, surveying damage to airports and piers, enforcing martial law, grabbing-up released prisoners, search for lost vessels, recover bodies, and hand out drinking water to mothers crouched in blown-apart houses. At the airport, uniformed guys, who look older now, often come to greet us when we return for diving. Friends for life.

I've cried, and laughed, been in awful situations, and more. Mostly I've seen the possibilities in these Bay Islands. I've also been stifled, as have the locals, by the meddlesome and ponderous government bureaucracy. I admire those I have met for their single minded devotion to their families.

I am amazed at their apparent total lack of desire to impose on the visitor to actively engage in entrepreneurial huckstering... The Gringos seem to have the market cornered on that one. There is a lot of "dog in a manger" mentality.

I have been taken aback at their citizen's institutionalized racism that is pervasive and invisible, I am amazed at their generosity and kindness to others. I snicker quietly when visitors come in search of "the island culture", wondering what it might be that they think they will find.

It is a British Island that is somehow governed by "Spaniards". The moneyed, land owning class in the Bay Islands are literal Cousins of Cayman Islanders. If you are lucky enough to have the rare encounter, listen to their voices, their speech inflections and accent. Cayman South.

This class of people have lately felt under assault as the "Spaniards" from the mainland have traveled there from the mainland, to make a living where the money is. The "Blacks", which are also largely the Garifuna, are also expanding from their original tiny settlements.

With the influx of home builders with North American money, followed by Italians and Spanish, the island has become a booming real estate market. This is where that huckstering I mentioned comes in.

The island is bursting at its seams, the infrastructure to support the workers and residents is maxed out. Drinking water and electrical supply is the most obvious. Medical services are dismal.

We created Honduras to serve the needs of the United Fruit Company, and the government was installed to service the whims of the management. I saw Banana Republic stores sprout in the 1970's and laughed- I had seen the original Banana Republic... before they were making the clothes there!

Come and enjoy the place before it goes down the inevitable toilet that has claimed every other dive/cruise ship destination island in the Mar Caribe. If you want more out of it than that- if you want to own a house, live there, and take up residency, well... you better know what you're getting into. It is one damned strange place.

For right now, I see no reason not to go for your vacation. I don't expect that to change any time very soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom