US State Department Issues Honduras Travel Advisory & Reality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, yes, the bays islands are dangerous indeed. Stay away. Nothing to see here. Quick quick, hide the Salva Vida from the bads mens . .. . my preciouses. Ah, what's that over there? A seahorse?? Hide its away from all the other divers so theys won'ts comeess here, er I mean, yes, very violent here. RJ's is dangerous with his grill fork and mights drop a ribeye on your toe.... stay away, very very dangerous here on Utila.

Seriously folks. Listen to to those who are there. But if you decide not to come, to bad for you and too bad for the tourist industry, but mostly too bad for you. Traveling, like diving, is mostly about the adventure. If you don't want the adventure. Stick to Nassau, Bahamas, Disneyland, and Cruise ships. The Bay Islands are different, and not for everyone. But show up with a glint in your eye and a sense of adventure and you may never leave.

Well, I just got back from Roatan and there isn't even a hint of a problem. The people were friendly, the beer was still ice cold and the diving was great. I was discouraged from going into town late in the evening due to the curfew, but after a little prodding, it was really due to the fact that the police in West End go home about 10:00, leaving the area without any police presence, which could be a bit of a problem when accompanied by a bunch of women.

Actually it seems many Goverments are starting to see what is going on here and your own government, which you should certainly have utmost respect for, has delayed on Tuesday a committee vote to confirm the nominee to head the State Department's bureau of western hemisphere affairs due to this situation in which 17 senators so far do not agree. here is the link washingtonpost.com

I am not quite sure how you made the transition from one Republican senator in the US Senate delaying a committee vote, as the article you linked to reports, to saying "many Goverments are starting to see what is going on here" in Honduras.

What I am sure of is that yesterday the "European Union has suspended more than $90m (63m euros; £54m) in aid to Honduras in the wake of a coup there."

Agilulfo,
You already quit the political forum, I do not want to send this one to the pub. If you really have any info that is relevant then you know the forum to take it up in. Its the one you quit when you knew you could not compete with actual knowledge of the subject and had to resort to posting links for every single post. Lets keep this forum to ACTUAL HANDS ON KNOWLEDGE. And for that I say today, Come on down, all is great but there is a bit more rain that the normal July.

Huh,

You may want to direct that spat to yourself since I was responding to your own political post about how a Republican senator is delaying a political appointment.

Second, I did not quit anything (see my post yesterday), I simply went diving in Cozumel for a few days. But I can see how you would interpret my lack of posting as quitting. I should have told you I was going on vacation, I just didn't know you were a fan and kept counting the days I wasn't posting. I'll keep that in mind next time I go somewhere.

Last edited:
"Of course this turmoil presents "a potentially dangerous situation". So does diving! Or driving to work, or walking across the street to get the mail, or eating at the all you can swallow Chinese buffet."

Thanks BYTE ME. That was my point all along. If you want to equate driving to work or eating too much Chinese with the political turmoil go right ahead. I don't think they are even close.

The people on the islands incluidng tourist, employees and resort owners are great sources of information for the situation as it stands at any given point in time. I'm sure the tourist in Indonesia two weeks ago were saying "come on over", the people are great. The people are great but then a bomb went off and people were killed. You just never know and of course the same thing can a has happened right here in the good old USA. Indonesia by the way is my favorite dive location. It's also a huge place with lots of remote islands mostly uneffected by this turmoil.

I'll say it one more time. I love Roatan. I've been there at least 10 times. I lived there for a few months. I love Utila. As someone suggested, I went and ended up staying for almost 3 months after planning to stay for 3 weeks. Utila has something that just sucks you in. I can't say enough good things about it. I can't wait to go back. I'm sure I'll return to Roatan.

I'll also repeat my original ideas about travel to Roatan. The government in Honduras had a quick and unexpected change in leadership. From what I've heard from many sources on the apparantly not ever to be believed news, the state department of my own country, the always truthful board posters, and friends in the Bay Islands, about 50% of the people support one leader and another 50% support another. Those number are rough only. Some people in Honduras and every other country (including the USA) are always looking for a way to take advantage of a situation. The current political situation is ripe for these type of people. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying it could happen and the chances are more likely when there is turmoil. Does anyone not believe that is a true statement?

I personally have never seen a not to be believed news broadcast that said "sharks are likely to attack divers". They have said "sharks have attacked divers" a few times I suppose. We weigh facts in every case and make decisions.

I personally believe that the turmoil caused by the elections in Iran contributed to the civil unrest in that country. People died. Maybe that country just has more "bad" people than Honduras and such things could never happen there. We once had a civil war but I suppose we had more bad people then.

NOT ONCE did I say any of these things would happen. I just said it could happen. My personal opinion based on my sources of information suggest thinking twice before deciding. Actually, I'd probably go now but I certainy would not take children at this point. Many have and many have had a great time. I hope every one that decides to go has a safe and wonderful vacation.

I personally have never seen a not to be believed news broadcast that said "sharks are likely to attack divers". They have said "sharks have attacked divers" a few times I suppose. We weigh facts in every case and make decisions.

The lead story- it blanketed "the news", from Sept 1, 2001 through Sept. 11th, 2001: Florida Shark Attack Epidemic.

The Shark Attacks apparently ended at 08:46 EST on 9/11/2001.

A lot of people aren't as analytical or smart as you. They believed all of the crap that the media was churning out.

"Of course this turmoil presents "a potentially dangerous situation". So does diving! Or driving to work, or walking across the street to get the mail, or eating at the all you can swallow Chinese buffet."

Thanks BYTE ME. That was my point all along. If you want to equate driving to work or eating too much Chinese with the political turmoil go right ahead. I don't think they are even close.

The people on the islands incluidng tourist, employees and resort owners are great sources of information for the situation as it stands at any given point in time. I'm sure the tourist in Indonesia two weeks ago were saying "come on over", the people are great. The people are great but then a bomb went off and people were killed. You just never know and of course the same thing can a has happened right here in the good old USA. Indonesia by the way is my favorite dive location. It's also a huge place with lots of remote islands mostly uneffected by this turmoil.

I'll say it one more time. I love Roatan. I've been there at least 10 times. I lived there for a few months. I love Utila. As someone suggested, I went and ended up staying for almost 3 months after planning to stay for 3 weeks. Utila has something that just sucks you in. I can't say enough good things about it. I can't wait to go back. I'm sure I'll return to Roatan.

I'll also repeat my original ideas about travel to Roatan. The government in Honduras had a quick and unexpected change in leadership. From what I've heard from many sources on the apparantly not ever to be believed news, the state department of my own country, the always truthful board posters, and friends in the Bay Islands, about 50% of the people support one leader and another 50% support another. Those number are rough only. Some people in Honduras and every other country (including the USA) are always looking for a way to take advantage of a situation. The current political situation is ripe for these type of people. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying it could happen and the chances are more likely when there is turmoil. Does anyone not believe that is a true statement?

I personally believe that the turmoil caused by the elections in Iran contributed to the civil unrest in that country. People died. Maybe that country just has more "bad" people than Honduras and such things could never happen there. We once had a civil war but I suppose we had more bad people then.

NOT ONCE did I say any of these things would happen. I just said it could happen. My personal opinion based on my sources of information suggest thinking twice before deciding. Actually, I'd probably go now but I certainy would not take children at this point. Many have and many have had a great time. I hope every one that decides to go has a safe and wonderful vacation.

How many times can you say " I personally or I think" to a post when you personally have not been there during what is going on and you yourself has said you had troubles in Roatan in the past long before any of this recent issue that is on the table? How objective can you be when you had negative posts prior to this recent issue? I have seen only one post that someone basically said there was no reason to worry and dont be concerned with the future trips, I mentioned to that poster that was bad info as no one knows

Last edited:
"My personal opinion based on my sources of information suggest thinking twice before deciding. Actually, I'd probably go now but I certainy would not take children at this point. Many have and many have had a great time. I hope every one that decides to go has a safe and wonderful vacation.

Chuck,
Can you fill us in on your source of information or is that something you are hiding?:D
I have seen nothing that would make me decide now during this political thing that this is a great place for adults but not kids other than the long term problem of sandflies. Do you think Hugo has taken over the insect world?

Well,
I woke to the roosters today because seas are calm so no crashing waves and not much going on. The only thing I noticed out of the ordinary yesterday was there were very few taxis from home to Coxen Hole and there has been more rains this July than the past many years. Airports are open, My wife is comming today thru San Pedro.

DD,NC or Aguliofo
Any news from where you are in Honduras as to what is going on that may be different?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom